Clubplanet Nightlife Community

:: Thomas Penton :: May 3 :: Cleveland

from about 4am to 7:30am i was constantly waking up in pain... charley horse in my leg, back pain, some weird leg joint thing... all conspiring to keep me from sleeping soundly. so i just figured, sod off i'll just call in sick. my cellphone rings at 7:45am, it's the office... one of our new korea salesguy is on hold for me so they put him thru. so after talking to him, i HAVE to come into work. so i get up, do my thang, grumble outta the house... at least it's nice weather out. getting off the bus in dupont, i totally bang my left knee into the door walking out... OUCH. hobble to georgetown bus, wimper whole ride to work....

the blessing in disguise is about 3 other slack asses called in sick already today coz the boss is in africa right now and that is BAD. sept is our mega busy season... so had i also called in sick, ass would be grassed right now hehe.

from about 4am to 7:30am i was constantly waking up in pain... charley horse in my leg, back pain, some weird leg joint thing... all conspiring to keep me from sleeping soundly. so i just figured, sod off i'll just call in sick. my cellphone rings at 7:45am, it's the office... one of our new korea salesguy is on hold for me so they put him thru. so after talking to him, i HAVE to come into work. so i get up, do my thang, grumble outta the house... at least it's nice weather out. getting off the bus in dupont, i totally bang my left knee into the door walking out... OUCH. hobble to georgetown bus, wimper whole ride to work....

the blessing in disguise is about 3 other slack asses called in sick already today coz the boss is in africa right now and that is BAD. sept is our mega busy season... so had i also called in sick, ass would be grassed right now hehe.

you should buy football pads and wear them to work!

sorry, couldn't resist. :) Did one of those asshats drop the larry?

grab some drugs ken. I just took a handful of Rite-Aid Non-Drowsy Non-Aspirin Cold Formula and feel much better.

girl in the white sleeveless turtle neck shaking her flat ass on the speaker box would be said asshat.

i pounded like 1000 mg of ibuprofen... feeling not too shabby right now.

ok, Chris and Joey, I'm currently in the process of having an internal monologue of 2 little people on either shoulder as follows:

Devil: "Come on......its PvD and Sasha for free!"

Angel: "Adrienne, you have a big week at work this week, not to mention Tiesto at Central Park tomorrow, you don't want to go stay out all nite tonite"

Devil: "Well, why did you move to NYC in the first place if not for events like this??"

Angel: "If you don't go, you won't know what you missed out on, so what's the difference?"

Devil: "Suck it up you loser!!"

Angel: "Hmmm.....I wonder what Thomar and Joeygk would do?"

ok, Chris and Joey, I'm currently in the process of having an internal monologue of 2 little people on either shoulder as follows:

Devil: "Come on......its PvD and Sasha for free!"

Angel: "Adrienne, you have a big week at work this week, not to mention Tiesto at Central Park tomorrow, you don't want to go stay out all nite tonite"

Devil: "Well, why did you move to NYC in the first place if not for events like this??"

Angel: "If you don't go, you won't know what you missed out on, so what's the difference?"

Devil: "Suck it up you loser!!"

Angel: "Hmmm.....I wonder what Thomar and Joeygk would do?"

who are you kidding? you KNOW you are going :laugh:;)

Have fun and tell PvD I say hello! ;) and dom & elliott!

LOL!!!! The only person I mentioned was prplhz and that's 'cause she POSTS to GN! You know I love ya! :love:

FALSE! Let's check the record shall we . . .

Chris Liebing @ Avalon, NYC

by tiny butterfli: 09-17-2004

Where do I start??? In a word? UNFUCKINGBELIEVABLE!

I was just telling teriaki that over the last few months I've enjoyed the parties I've gone to but I haven't really been blown away by any of the sets. I started to think that I was jaded or that I was "over it." But Chris Liebing changed all that on Friday night. He gave me back that WOW! feeling. Reminded me why I love this music so much and how much a dj's set could get my heart pounding.

We got in line at Avalon at midnight. Had about a 10 minute wait. Was texting w/ Tj5 who was already inside. What a surprise I had no idea you'd be there! Once inside it was pretty crowded! So many more people than I expected. Got a few drinks and went to relax on the couch behind the dj booth and wait for Liebing to take the decks.

I saw him walk in and I'm pretty sure my exact words were "wow, he's a lot shorter than i remember!" LOL My friend Ad's friend took me into the booth so I could say hi to Chris. Ya'll remember how much trouble I had talking to PvD? NOT THIS TIME! I know I must have been gushing! I told him how much I loved his set in Miami and how excited I was to see him. We talked for a bit and he flashed me that larger than life smile I think my knees actually buckled!

Can't remember when exactly he took the decks. 1:30 ish? He started banging right from the start. Having my friends with me, especially the lovely Ms. Prplhz, made the night even better. Made my way back into the booth several times and talked it up w/ his manager. When I wasn't in there or taking periodic bathroom breaks, I never left the dancefloor. The smile never left my face... or Chris's! He seemed to really enjoy himself. He has so much energy. I love when the dj is enjoying his set as much as you are!

He spun till about 5:45 am. I took a spot on one of the speakers and closed out his set dancing my heart out! He was throwing out some t-shirts at the end and I snagged one. I think it says "Its Friday, is the weekend" Something like that. Thanks to Mikey for the translation

Anyhow, I'm a horrible trainspotter and very new to the techno genre so I won't even make an attempt. Andreas - my international text msging bill is going to be HUGE!

I had a blast. I'm still smiling

It seems there are three other "shout outs" in the conext of your tale! now, excuse me, i must go and try to mend my broken heart :unhappy:

LOL!!!! The only person I mentioned was prplhz and that's 'cause she POSTS to GN! You know I love ya! :love:

FALSE! Let's check the record shall we . . .

Chris Liebing @ Avalon, NYC

by tiny butterfli: 09-17-2004

Where do I start??? In a word? UNFUCKINGBELIEVABLE!

I was just telling teriaki that over the last few months I've enjoyed the parties I've gone to but I haven't really been blown away by any of the sets. I started to think that I was jaded or that I was "over it." But Chris Liebing changed all that on Friday night. He gave me back that WOW! feeling. Reminded me why I love this music so much and how much a dj's set could get my heart pounding.

We got in line at Avalon at midnight. Had about a 10 minute wait. Was texting w/ Tj5 who was already inside. What a surprise I had no idea you'd be there! Once inside it was pretty crowded! So many more people than I expected. Got a few drinks and went to relax on the couch behind the dj booth and wait for Liebing to take the decks.

I saw him walk in and I'm pretty sure my exact words were "wow, he's a lot shorter than i remember!" LOL My friend Ad's friend took me into the booth so I could say hi to Chris. Ya'll remember how much trouble I had talking to PvD? NOT THIS TIME! I know I must have been gushing! I told him how much I loved his set in Miami and how excited I was to see him. We talked for a bit and he flashed me that larger than life smile I think my knees actually buckled!

Can't remember when exactly he took the decks. 1:30 ish? He started banging right from the start. Having my friends with me, especially the lovely Ms. Prplhz, made the night even better. Made my way back into the booth several times and talked it up w/ his manager. When I wasn't in there or taking periodic bathroom breaks, I never left the dancefloor. The smile never left my face... or Chris's! He seemed to really enjoy himself. He has so much energy. I love when the dj is enjoying his set as much as you are!

He spun till about 5:45 am. I took a spot on one of the speakers and closed out his set dancing my heart out! He was throwing out some t-shirts at the end and I snagged one. I think it says "Its Friday, is the weekend" Something like that. Thanks to Mikey for the translation

Anyhow, I'm a horrible trainspotter and very new to the techno genre so I won't even make an attempt. Andreas - my international text msging bill is going to be HUGE!

I had a blast. I'm still smiling

It seems there are three other "shout outs" in the conext of your tale! now, excuse me, i must go and try to mend my broken heart :unhappy:

larry the crackhead

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply to: anon-34650033@craigslist.org

Date: Thu Jun 24 13:03:33 2004

if you have lived downtown in the les/ev within the past 10-15 years, then larry the crackhead may be a well-known personage in your lives as well. he was the tall, affable, black, wonkily-toothed guy always working the tompkins square area, usually wearing a suit of some sort. his voice always kinda sounded (to me, at least) a lot like snoop dogg's. i never once heard him raise his voice at anyone, or get into any fights, or be anything but calm and friendly whilst panhandling, which is pretty damn rare for a crackhead. you'd frequently see him over on 2nd avenue between 7th and st marks, back when the homeless used to sell stuff off of dirty blankets. (i got some waycool stuff there BITD, damn.)(and wasn't that block in the king missile video for "detachable penis"?)(yet another reason to hate giuliani, he took away my neighborhood flea market.) one time my friend gary bought a fake plastic log fire there, with a rotating red light bulb behind it for that Authentic Fire Feeling, from larry, for 5 bucks. 5 bucks! i would've paid 20, easy. also i think a few people of my acquaintance may have possibly even gotten high with larry. but i shall reveal no names. (and NO, it wasn't me.)

anyway. me and my cousin tony used to always be at 7A early mornings, having breakfast in the open window after a long night of wrongness, doing the NY times crossword puzzle and brawling over it, having margaritas and key lime pie (omg yummy), possibly being quite ill in the bathroom, hitting on brian the waiter (me, not tony), whatever. and almost every day, we'd see larry. he eventually became "our" crackhead. he really really liked us, and not just cause we always gave him a buck or two. see, most crackheads, when you give them some money, you can tell how close they are to getting a nickel of redtop or bluetop or whatever.....if they leave immediately, then your dollar or fifty cents was all they needed to make up that essential 5 bucks. if they move on to continue panhandling, you know they're still a buck or two short. now with larry, well, he'd stay and chat with us no matter what. one time he even helped us settle an argument about the crossword puzzle. sometimes he even brought us "presents", stuff he had to sell but gave to us for free! cause he loved us, see? one time he gave us one of those hairdryers you get in hotel rooms, that are bolted to the wall. (it didn't work. it's the thought that counts.)

when i moved to spain about 7 years ago, the crackheads there were not nearly as cool as larry. they were icky creepy smelly gypsys who tried to steal my dog, by painting drippy white spots on him and insisting it was a totally different dog. clearly an altogether lower class of crackhead. i remember mentioning this to tony, and he said he'd say hi to larry for me the next time he saw him. (he later said that larry remembered me, but seemed to think i was chinese. crack can do that, i guess.)

the first time i came back to NY, in the winter of 2000, we went to 7A a bunch of times. no larry. tony said he hadn't seen larry in a while. i was a bit concerned, but hey, crackheads come and go, and usually turn up eventually. when i came back again after the next summer, still no larry. me and tony decided something bad must've happened, and we drank a toast to poor larry that very night.

well. a year or so later, i saw him working the west side, around houston and 6th av. i was hailing a taxi and he came over to open the cab's door and "spare some change miss?" at me. i gave him a 20 and said "great to see you larry" and boy, was he happy to be remembered. i was pretty drunk and would've stayed to talk to him, but the friends of mine i was with were most concerned that i A) actually knew this panhandling crackhead by name and B) wanted to stay and chat; they dragged me off into the waiting cab. i can't say for sure if he remembered me too, but it was a nice piece of my history that had a somewhat happy ending.

now it's been a REALLY long time since i or anyone else i know has seen larry. so once again, i'm hoping he's ok. (well, as ok as he can be, what with the whole being a crackhead thing he's got going on.) if you see him, give him a buck for me, ok?