Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Anyone ever go to Chicago?

I was just there in May. Scene pretty much blew. Only halfway decent place I went to was the Funky Buddha on Thursday night (hip hop though). I'm told Zentra, Vision, Spundae are decent. Crobar is currently closed for renovations. For July 4th weekend, might want to check out Richie Hawtin at the House of Blues on the 3rd and Erick Morillo/Tom Stephan at Vision on the fifth.

yea, scene blows but there's definitely a whole lot of nice people around.

i vaguely remember going to some street called rush street that had a line of bars, kinda collegiate. we then went to some club called crusader or something near the magnificent mile. they actually had decent house music in the upstairs room.

i just went there 2 weekends ago to see tiesto

first of all, i don't think the scene blows, clubs are cheaper and people are much nicer than ny, and the clubs are not overrun by juiced out assholes with their shirts off

if youre there on a sat, check out vision, zentra is fun but small and the music is really loud,

if you want to go a place that is full of girls, go to white star lounge on a friday or rive gauche on sat night, but dont go there for the music

house of blues is a cool place too, but it might be really crowded like it was for tiesto, because its an 18+ event

there is also a whole bunch of cool restaurants on north ave (spring is one of the best ones in town), a bunch of bars, greektown has many cool placese, and you have to go to one of many steakhouses

anyway, its a cool city, and if you dont go with "i'm better than you because i'm from new york" attitude, you will have fun

w

I had a great time in Chitown when I visited my boy a few years ago. My advise is to hit up RedNo 5, it's a great spot with good beats. I hit up Crobar too, but it sucked. The clubbers there had no etiquette and the music really wasn't that good. So yea...hit up RedNo 5.

Originally posted by stompy

i just went there 2 weekends ago to see tiesto

first of all, i don't think the scene blows, clubs are cheaper and people are much nicer than ny, and the clubs are not overrun by juiced out assholes with their shirts off

:rofl: :rofl: hahaha...and i bet half of those assholes are from joizee.

jersey does seem to have an unusually high population of young males that use performance enhancing drugs, which is why i'm thinking about becoming a cardiologist in jersey :)

ahh, keep on stickin them guys!!!!!!

stompy is my lil bro, and hes right on most things. Whoever said the scene here is dead has not been here recently. We get most of the talent that comes across nyc either before or right after their nyc gigs, not to mention for half the cover price you guys pay.

If youre looking for good beats check out spundea saturdays at vision. Below are just some events going on in july.

7.2: Boo Williams, Glenn Underground & Rick Wilhite @ Subterranean

7.3: Richie Hawtin & Mazi @ House of Blues

7.3: Markus Nikolai (Live), Miles Maeda, Heather @ Smart Bar

7.4: DayRa Boat Party

7.4: Frankie Knuckles @ House of Blues

7.4: Derrick Carter, Gene Farris & JT Donaldson @ Zentra

7.5: Erick Morillo, Tom Stephan & Hipolito Sanchez @ Spundae

7.5: John Acquaviva (7-Hour Set) @ Smart Bar

7.5: John Digweed & Crystal Method @ Congress Theatre

7.10: Frankie Vega & V!Jay @ Metro/Smart Bar

7.11: Metro Area, Common Factor @ Smart Bar

7.11: Tony Senghore & Lance Desardi @ Zentra

7.12: Jimmy Van M & John Debo, Daniel Mnookin & Brian Ffar (tag team) @ Spundae

7.12: Colette @ Smart Bar

7.16: Freakyflow & Flipside @ Bigwig

7.18: Jon Cutler & E Man @ Zentra

7.25: Brett Johnson & Lawnchair Generals @ Zentra

7.25: Afro Mystik (live), Kaskade @ Smart Bar

7.27: Uberzone @ Spundae

These are mostly for music heads, if youre looking for T&A you got 4 clubs(whitestar, rive gauche,estate,buzz) just to name a few. If you go to any of them, expect to hear cheesy hip-hop and/or euro

Moda is ok, but its more loungy and the crowd seems to be kinda "stale"

Redno changed, it used to be "underground" when pure promoted there, it turned into "bling bling" joint about a year ago.

Crobars closed.

chicago board on here sucks, if you want to stay up to date

www.inside-chicago.com (more music minded cats)

www.purefuture.com(same as above)

www.chicagofusion.com( glam and cheese)

July 4th weekend your best bet would be HOB with hawtin.

If you want, send me a PM, i will be happy to accomodate you and your friends at some of these events.

have fun!

Is that you Tommy?

Anyway listen to that diesel77 guy, he knows whats up.

Redno 5 is crap now.

Smart Bar, Spundae and Pure nights have the biggest names. But there are loads of other quality nights. The Chicago scene has taken off over the last year.

Check out www.inside-chicago.com (sorry DaVe). There is an events callendar, it's not up to date for that time yet... but it will be. Also have an ask round there may be afters or a decent loft party going on.

it really is a hard city to navigate when you dont know any insiders... i grew up in chicago for 17 years, have been gone for 9, and couldnt find a fun club or people to go with if i tried... (and beleive me i have tried!) all of my high school friends are "bar people".... ANYWAYS, i will stick to the nightlife here in boston, visit NY, MIAMI and VEGAS for my fun.... !!!

Originally posted by bodiii

zentra...excalibur...if its still open...

gotham...crobar...

there are alot of underground warehouse partys...

if you can find someone in the know...

i was actually going to mention something about that. I grew up in/around chicago, and i can say from being there for 16 years or so that the city is very..... layered.

You have the "big" clubs that everybody knows about - some of which are good, but most of which blow.

Then you have smaller clubs that are a little harder to find out about, that are a lot better - but, harder to find.

Then you have the shit that's in some abandoned building on the 1500 block of north avenue, just down the street from the armory. In a building that's sandwhiched between a coffee shop and some other non-descript building, with newspaper and blankets over the windows so nobody can see in - and a thumpin soundsystem that goes till 4pm the next day.

Good luck findin those - but i guarentee if you do, nothing else will ever compare.

Also - i don't know if this magazine still exists, but if you can get ahold of a copy of "thousand words" (it was still around when i was there last) they should help you get a good idea of where to go and what to do.

If the level and 99th floor are still around - they should provide flyers and the such as well. Of course you can always hit gramaphone records - i'm *sure* somebody there will know of something goin on.

Originally posted by diesel77

July 4th weekend your best bet would be HOB with hawtin.

How can Richie Hawtin be in chicago on 4th of july weekend, when he's playing a 4th of july party in Baltimore (ultraworld party), and then playing two shows in NY on the 5th(ps1 during the day, and arc at night i believe it is)?

Originally posted by sinixstar

How can Richie Hawtin be in chicago on 4th of july weekend, when he's playing a 4th of july party in Baltimore (ultraworld party), and then playing two shows in NY on the 5th(ps1 during the day, and arc at night i believe it is)?

Pretty easily with the gift of flight ;) DJ's do much bigger distances than that to play.

He is playing, it's booked and confirmed by Spundae.

Originally posted by back2basics

Pretty easily with the gift of flight ;) DJ's do much bigger distances than that to play.

He is playing, it's booked and confirmed by Spundae.

yea, i mis-read the date that was posted, i thought somebody was trying to say he was playing on the 4th or 5th of july. I didn't realize the date said 7/3

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Spaz44

One Word...

MODA

:clap:

I was just in Chicago for 3 days on business...

went to Moda Last night and it was ok...

I liked the atmosphere...

last night their was a fashion show and a party for Maxim Magazine...but the music was terrible at times...

Going to clubs in NYC all the time...you get spoiled...

nothing is the same...