Clubplanet Nightlife Community

How many sets.....

skince55

Damn... that's a lot of sets! Why so many? How long are your workouts?

I do 2-6 sets per bodypart, depending on its size. I do a push/pull/legs split and my workouts generally last about 45 minutes. I've found that I actually get much better results this way than if I try to do more sets and longer workouts. :aright:

my workouts generally last about 45 minutes (not including cardio and abs). I focus on one muscle group per day and do about 4-6 different exercises for each. For each exercise I do between 3-5 sets. For the core exercises ex. Bench, Squats, Military press I do 5 sets. For the other lighter exerces ex. Flyes, Leg Extension, Lat Raises I do 3-4 sets.

Originally posted by rackham

Damn... that's a lot of sets! Why so many? How long are your workouts?

I do 2-6 sets per bodypart, depending on its size. I do a push/pull/legs split and my workouts generally last about 45 minutes. I've found that I actually get much better results this way than if I try to do more sets and longer workouts. :aright:

18 - 22 Sets is not alot... It is normally 3 to 4 sets per exercise by 5 to 6 exercises per body part...

I myself do a few body parts a day because of my crazy schedule. But I am about to go back to 1 body part per day...

As of right now I am doing 3 parts per day...

Day 1 - Chest / Tri's / Shoulders

Day 2 - Legs / Forearms

Day 3 - Back / Bi's / Traps

Day 4 - Rest

Day 5 - Chest / Tri's / Shouders

Usually 3 Sets per Exercise / 3 - 4 Exercises per Body Part. For a total of 27 - 36 total Sets in a 1 1/2 hour workout.

But again... I am going back to a 1 Body part per day routine at the end of the month. :D

Originally posted by elementx

18 - 22 Sets is not alot... It is normally 3 to 4 sets per exercise by 5 to 6 exercises per body part...

I myself do a few body parts a day because of my crazy schedule. But I am about to go back to 1 body part per day...

If you're only doing a bodypart a day, it's a manageable amount of sets per bodypart, but only if you're an advanced lifter. I definitely wouldn't do any more than that... and it's definitely too much for probably 90% of people lifting. A lot of people think that more sets = better, but that's not true and in fact the amount of sets that we're talking about here would be overtraining for most people.

If you're only doing a bodypart a day, it's a manageable amount of sets per bodypart, but only if you're an advanced lifter. I definitely wouldn't do any more than that... and it's definitely too much for probably 90% of people lifting. A lot of people think that more sets = better, but that's not true and in fact the amount of sets that we're talking about here would be overtraining for most people.

I agree that less QUALITY sets is definately better...

One way that I like to lift and have seen great results in the past and I will probably go back to doing it in the winter... Is something like this...

One day do all Angles and another day ( maybe 2 days later ) hit the same muscle group with all compound exercises...

Dunno just something I try from time to time.

Originally posted by elementx

I agree that less QUALITY sets is definately better...

My feelings exactly. I'm sure you're doing quality workouts; I just like to give conservative guidelines for the benefit of all the beginning and intermediate lifters reading this. :)

http://www.trygve.com/mfw_faq.html#howmanyexercises

How many exercises should I do per muscle group?

Some suggest only one exercise per muscle group. Others prefer to do 4 or 5 different exercises for a single muscle group. Keep in mind that too much enthusiasm for the weights will often lead to overtraining, so moderation is key until you discover what works best for your body.

How many sets should I do per exercise?

Some suggest that once the muscles are thoroughly warm (after performing a couple of light-weight warmup sets) you should do one all out set to failure. Others suggest that you should perform 2 to 4 working sets to failure for each exercise.

Almost everyone can agree that if you end up doing 30 sets for any individual body part, you are definitely overtraining (assuming that you take these sets to failure) or just wasting your time (assuming you don't take these sets to failure).

Originally posted by skince55

does everyone do per muscle group?

My workout generally consists of one muscle group per day, doing anywhere between 18-22 sets. I am thinking about adding a few more sets, but I don't want to overtrain.

Shit, you're overtraining now, buddy!!!!! I'd go for no more than 9 sets for small muscle groups and no more than 12 for large muscle groups.

Originally posted by sex0nthebeach

Shit, you're overtraining now, buddy!!!!! I'd go for no more than 9 sets for small muscle groups and no more than 12 for large muscle groups.

9-12 sets for an entire workout??? that seems way to short. I would be in and out of the gym in under a half hour.

No, 9-12 sets per major muscle group. That's PLENTY.

Okay...so your sayin I should be doing 20-30 min workouts? I don't sit and take 5 min bullshit breaks between sets. I do a set....go to the water fountain....do another set. I would fly through a work out with that few sets.

Okay...so your sayin I should be doing 20-30 min workouts? I don't sit and take 5 min bullshit breaks between sets. I do a set....go to the water fountain....do another set. I would fly through a work out with that few sets.

Okay, two things:

1. What's wrong with a short workout?

2. That's 20-30 minutes for only ONE bodypart. If you did one major muscle group (e.g. chest) and two minors (e.g. shoulders & triceps), you'd come in much closer to 1 hour, which is the UPPER limit that you should be aiming for.

My workout this morning was 40 minutes for back, biceps and abs.

Okay, two things:

2. That's 20-30 minutes for only ONE bodypart. If you did one major muscle group (e.g. chest) and two minors (e.g. shoulders & triceps), you'd come in much closer to 1 hour, which is the UPPER limit that you should be aiming for.

i do exactly like you do. you can train hard or you can train long, but you cant do both.

I like how yates used to train.

I also dont even waste time doing abs. no need to, if you train heavy & diet, your abs will come in.

thanks,

brandy

Nothing...but a 20-30min. workout would have me leaving the gym feeling as if I hadn't trained that hard.

My split is: Mon-Chest, Tues-Back, Wed-Legs, Thurs-Shoulders Traps, Fri-Arms

Also...my workouts very rarely go longer than 45 min.(excluding abs and cardio)..which is not much longer than yours.

Nothing...but a 20-30min. workout would have me leaving the gym feeling as if I hadn't trained that hard.

My split is: Mon-Chest, Tues-Back, Wed-Legs, Thurs-Shoulders Traps, Fri-Arms

Also...my workouts very rarely go longer than 45 min.(excluding abs and cardio)..which is not much longer than yours.

If you train with proper intensity, you don't NEED a long workout. Measure your workouts by your progress, not by how exhausted you feel!

Tommyarmani was dead on when he said, "You can train hard or you can train long, but you can't do both." 18-22 sets for a single bodypart is (in my opinion) training long.

If you train with proper intensity, you don't NEED a long workout. Measure your workouts by your progress, not by how exhausted you feel!

Tommyarmani was dead on when he said, "You can train hard or you can train long, but you can't do both." 18-22 sets for a single bodypart is (in my opinion) training long.

45 min isnt that long though. How many sets do you do for your total workout? and what muscle groups do you do each day?

It seems to me as if your suggestion is to not focus on one muscle group per day

45 min isnt that long though. How many sets do you do for your total workout? and what muscle groups do you do each day?

It seems to me as if your suggestion is to not focus on one muscle group per day

My suggestion is just to not do so many sets per bodypart. If you want to train only one body part per day, that means you will have shorter workouts. Or you could combine bodyparts for slightly longer workouts and go to the gym fewer days.

I'm currently following a very abbreviated workout plan: 4 exercises per day, 2-3 sets per exercise, with a push/pull/legs split. It's short, intense, and I'm making consistent gains. What more could you want? :)

Also, don't forget that the longer you workout, the more cortisol your body produces, which starts taking you into catabolic territory. People tend to cite 1 hour as a good upper guideline for limiting cortisol production. It also helps to sip on a carb drink during your workout. This has been associated with significantly greater muscle growth.

Details here (free membership required):

http://www.medscape.com/px/urlinfo

Do a Medline search for "training cortisol muscle". :aright:

The you wonder why you don't grow...come on, bro. If done correctly, 12 sets should take you at least 1 hour.

Originally posted by sex0nthebeach

The you wonder why you don't grow...come on, bro. If done correctly, 12 sets should take you at least 1 hour.

Did I say I wasn't growing??? As far as my gains I am not dissapointed, I could be doing better, but I have not reached a plateau.

For 12 sets to take 1 hour you would need to be resting about 4 minutes in between each set. I always read 1-2 minutes was the optimal rest time between sets. 4 minutes seems like a long time to wait

Did I say I wasn't growing??? As far as my gains I am not dissapointed, I could be doing better, but I have not reached a plateau.

For 12 sets to take 1 hour you would need to be resting about 4 minutes in between each set. I always read 1-2 minutes was the optimal rest time between sets. 4 minutes seems like a long time to wait

It depends on how many reps you're doing. The fewer reps, the longer the rest period. Some powerlifters take as long as 10 minutes between sets.

I wait 2 minutes between sets and each set takes about 1 minute, so 12 x 3 = 36 minutes for 12 sets, not counting extra time for going to the water fountain, etc.

Well I lowered my back workout yesterday from 22 to 16 sets and slowed down the pace a little bit. Still to much??? Keep in mind hyperextensions are for lower back and I dont use any weight when I do them. So those three sets weren't really that strenuous.

Pullups - 3 sets

Dumbbell Rows - 4 sets

Lat Pulldown - 3 sets

Lat Pushdon - 3 sets

Hyperextensions - 3 sets

Well I lowered my back workout yesterday from 22 to 16 sets and slowed down the pace a little bit. Still to much??? Keep in mind hyperextensions are for lower back and I dont use any weight when I do them. So those three sets weren't really that strenuous.

Pullups - 3 sets

Dumbbell Rows - 4 sets

Lat Pulldown - 3 sets

Lat Pushdon - 3 sets

Hyperextensions - 3 sets

What sort of pullups are you doing? If you're doing wide-grip pullups, you can drop the lat pulldown because it works the same muscles. In fact, that's what I'd recommend anyway -- do wide-grip pullups and drop the pulldowns. Otherwise, it seems pretty reasonable. :aright: