Clubplanet Nightlife Community

will the new technics cd deck become the industry standard?>>

drsatan

will the pioneer cdj 1000 be a thing of the past?

Absolutely....those CD spinners are sick...look and feel as well as the mechanics of the technics turntables. Basically throws the learning curve right out the window...if someone was moving from spinning on just turntables to those...I couldn't see anymore than 30 minutes to get you use to them they are that accurate.

im not really seeing how different the new technics is to the pionner

Even though the mechanics may be there, I just don't see it getting in that easy. The CDJ-1000 has a big installed base already, and a lot of DJs are used to it by now. Not to mention the DVJ-X1 which gives you added functionality, though at a 300% markup from the CDJ-1000...but with high-end clubs, they set the standard so to speak, and if they use DVJs, that may be the standard...with clubs opting to keep their CDJs until they can afford DVJ units...

It could go the other way though, the Technics might get rapidly adopted, and the DVJs will just be an outboard thing that each DJ will rent or carry on his own if he or she needs it, kind of like how Scumfrog carries that drumpad with him, or Morillo carrying his own CDJ-1000MK2s and Stanton filter banks. The DVJs defeating factor right now is cost. $3200 per unit, nevermind generating content for it...though I hope that will come about soon, a lot of my friends are video arists (hey HSS, i see you using these soon...) and are no doubt itching at the prospect of DJs and producers needing fresh video content for their sets...

But the cost is still out there...for the price of 1 DVJ you can get 2 Technics CD decks and a decent mixer, hell you can get 3 CDJ-1000s or 4 CDJ-800s.

I think DVJing is about 2 or 3 years out as a common tool.

for bedroom djs, i think the cdj should still be used. as far as clubs go, once that DVJ comes out, that will be the new thing, regardless of price. even though ONE might be used instead of two, due to compatibility, a cdj will be used. in otherwords... :werd: to pod's statement :laugh:

IT will take some time... but I believe over time, they will definitely become the staple for most "clubs". The CDJ's have been soooo instrumental in REALLY bringing about TRUE integration of CD's into all of our sets. I swore up and down against CD's but each week, I have been even burning all my vinyl to CD! (MOstly because I'm an old fart and I hate lugging around boxes o' records) But you can pack your whole back catalog of classics in one CD magazine!

I have to agree that the price thing will keep the CDJ in most bedroom set-ups soooo.... who knows... POD hit most points dead on.

But my vote will be for the Technics!

Even though the Digital 1200 is actually MUCH better than the CDJ-1000 it will be a while before Pioneer is knocked outta the top seat...

Look at the DJM-600 (still everywhere you go even though it sounds like SHIT)

FYI: both units had the about the same number of problems when first production shipped....

I think people pay way too much attention to the brand and refuse to try out new things when it comes to DJ equipment. When I was shopping for CD players everyone bashed everything other than CDJ-1000's. It's like people that never even touched a CD player vouched for those. Well, I got them and yes, they are wonderful pieces of equipment but truth be told, I don't feel that I should have paid so much money for what I got.

On the side note, I also got two Numark Axis 2 decks which I got on eBay for under $200 for both. You can't scratch on them, they don't have cue memory and many other features but they are taking massive use and abuse and so far haven't given me any problems. I have taken these decks to The Burning Man and they have been used for probably 72 hours straight in the burning sun and survived a sandstrom. On the funny note, a Pioneer 600 mixer gliders died on the 2nd day while a cheap Behringer mixer kept chugging like a Russian WWII tank.

So my point is, they are freaking CD players and unless you know what you're doing, no technology be it Pioneer or Technics, is gonna make you a good DJ.

You know, The problem with CDJs is that, Many people, Including myself, Are so used to seeing vinyls spinning on turntables all the time which adds to the display at the booth itself, With CDJs, You dont see a spinning platter, Just a flat box with a platter on top of it, But it doesnt constantly spin, And theres nothing on top of it, Except the DJ's hands.