Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Is Proggy Dead???

marcodavalos

It has been talked over and over and over for the past couple years ... no news there. It bores the hell of many ... big room or small room ...

Watcha guys feel? (except Phillipio - please!!! )

:pint:

i dont like it mostly except for the rare few djs that to me do a good job at it. but overall not for me ... i need energy to my music :), sexy vocals and thumping drums

I've always liked the fact that Progressive House doesn't lean on Disco House (an entire night of nothing but 70s Disco anthems remixed is a bit too much, and a bit too French), or easy listening Gospel House (always the same overweight, old diva singing, with the same formulaic backup singers around the chorus).

The problem for me is mainly with DJs who are labelled as Progressive, but just play extremely slow, minimalistic Tech House ALL NIGHT. I come to Dance, not to fall asleep. Some of the Tech House DJs are probably great though if you can't move, and are on some horse tranquilizers.

Good Progressive is definitely still out there, and played by these DJs:

John Digweed

Markus Schulz

Nick Warren

Luke Chable

Sasha

Sander Kleinenberg

Dave Seaman

Max Graham

Deep Dish

James Holden

Sandra Collins

Oliver Lieb

Junkie XL

Hernan Cattaneo

Gabriel & Dresden

Perry O'neal

Taylor

Kazell

Jimmy Van M

Chris Fortier

Noel Sanger

Jerry Bonham

Hybrid

Bill Hamel

DJ Three

Dave Ralph

Timo Maas

Luke Fair

Andry Nalin

Steve Porter

Andy Hughes

D:Fuse

John Graham

Park & Wilson

Anthony Pappa

Mike Hiratzka

James Zabiela

I've always liked the fact that Progressive House doesn't lean on Disco House (an entire night of nothing but 70s Disco anthems remixed is a bit too much, and a bit too French), or easy listening Gospel House (always the same overweight, old diva singing, with the same formulaic backup singers around the chorus).

The problem for me is mainly with DJs who are labelled as Progressive, but just play extremely slow, minimalistic Tech House ALL NIGHT. I come to Dance, not to fall asleep. Some of the Tech House DJs are probably great though if you can't move, and are on some horse tranquilizers.

Good Progressive is definitely still out there, and played by these DJs:

John Digweed

Markus Schulz

Nick Warren

Sasha

Deep Dish

Junkie XL

Hernan Cattaneo

Gabriel & Dresden

Perry O'neal

Jimmy Van M

Chris Fortier

Hybrid

Dave Ralph

John Graham

Anthony Pappa

James Zabiela

nice list ill take these

definitely not dead... the sound of 2001 faded, proghouse has become more melodic, and now there is a very thin line between prog trance and proghouse... it did lose the dark underground feeling that it used to deliver, but i guess that's what happens when a certain genre becomes more popular... there are more labels, more artists, and more demand for proghouse than ever before... look the amount of shelves that are labeled 'progressive' at grooveman...

some of my favorites:

osamu m

smight

steve porter

rouzbeh delavari

mdk

sultan & tonedepth

evolved

alucard

blackwatch

m.a.s. collective

andro

chab

infusion

It has been talked over and over and over for the past couple years ... no news there. It bores the hell of many ... big room or small room ...

Watcha guys feel? (except Phillipio - please!!! )

:pint:

Not in my world!!!!!!!!

The fist pumping, glow stick chewing, shirtless sounds are just not "my cup of tea".

I personally feel that Progressive has the best of all worlds.

In my WORLD....as a DJ .. progressive music is not dead at all... In my opinion a quality tune is a quality tune...It don't matter if the sounds are progressive..melodic...tribal..latin beats..old skool or nu skool breaks..acid..tech-house..deep house..electro-clash..techno.. or even classic trance...

If it sounds good ...thats what matters..Trends come and go...but quality dance music stays in your hearts n souls 4ever n ever...ITs up to the djs to make those tunes shine with their skills...

Progressive should not just be a staple for a sound of music...but like u say " HOUSE " or " TECHNO " ...Progressive has its own identity..To me its not just a style of music..but a progression in sounds ...

For me the progressive sound started back in 92 with a group called LEFTFIELD and the track was called " Song of Life "...that song was very progressive for its time....