Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Tiesto reviews heres mine pretty funny

Now most people know I love tiesto, one of his biggest fans on here, but tonight, his set was garbage. pure garbage. Three trainwrecks, of course the music stopped as has been the norm with him, and just zero progression in his set. Very dissapointed. The lights were crap, they didnt even move them at all. I did like 80% of the songs, but there was no flow and didn't leave me satisfied. Highlight though was when the ENTIRE crowd sang along with Love Comes Again. That was pretty cool. And whats up with the end? No encore, no big ending...nothing. Also VERY PISSEDDDDDDDDDD that he didnt play his new remix of Lethal Industry. I was so amped to hear that and all I got was let down. Two of my friends came and popped their Tiesto cherries and they too were dissapointed. The two 6 hour sets i have downloaded from may are 100% better then tonight. His best set I've heard live myself was at Space Miami this past WMC, and tonight was the worst. I gotta get to bed now though.

-Sad Tiesto fan:(

hry Ronin .. where did you download that 6 hours set? any links would be appreciated .. thanks.

Peace

the MASK

Got there at 12:00 with binarycool (leo) and my 2 other friends. They wouldn't let any1 in without tickets until 3:00 am. Got in there place was packed. The asian kid who opened up for tiesto was the complete opposite music of tiesto no trance mostly house like jp house. Tiesto ended up getting on around 1:30 and spun a very short set with most of his music coming off his new album. He maybe spun a 3 hour set tops. As i was waiting to meet tiesto somehow I ended up being the bouncer of the dj booth. I had my NYC loves DJ Tiesto shirt on. Some people from cp recognized me and I tried to get who ever I knew in the dj booth. It was crazy though people were offering me $50 to get in the booth to meet Tiesto, girls were hooking up with each other and doing all kinds of crazy stuff to try to get in. Finally it calmed down and I hung out with Tiesto for about an hour. Asked him a lot of questions, He confirmed there will be no love parade this year and that he really enjoyed the love parade. I would say it wasn't a great set but just a very enjoyable night and whoever I met new it was a pleasure meeting you.

that is hillarious . but how did u become a bouncer? i always wanted to do that .. and sometimes i realize that if u stand in a critical position and direct people with authority .. they kina listen and most of them think you work there .. hehe

is that what u did?

Peace

the MASK

Um.... Did u people forget that it was 150 degrees in that fucking place. I couldnt fucking breathe in there. The only source of oxygen i had was my botttle of water.

that was expected .. i mean the crowd and the heat .. that is why i did not go

Peace

the MASK

last night, way too overcrowded. seriously, the temp must have been like 2354354 degreees. haha my only salvation was the same as ovrdose. haha the lap lounge. other than that, i pretty much enjoyed the night with my friends, but wish Tiesto chose a different venue. not only that, i wouldnt have to wear a button up shirt and i can just go in jeans and a teee and dance my ass off to him!

in terms of his set, i wouldnt say it was garbage, i did hear him trainwrecking once, which was totally unexpected from a guy like him, but i liked his set. maybe next time, different venue, different vibe. overall i had alotta fun. i can still hear the crowd chanting, TIEESTO! TIEESTO! TIEEESTO! hahaha great night.

glad to see you had a good time kid .. i am sure you represented ..

Peace

the MASK

tiesto was good but the set was too short. no encore and no big ending. he spun from ~1:30 to ~4:30. my fave tracks from him last night was traffic and love comes again(everyone around me knew the lyrics to this song!).

avalon is way too small to hold this venue. he would've made more $ at roxy or crobar. the place was extremely crowded, pple pushing everywhere and HOT like a sauna at 120 degrees. this was all anticapted and i was ready for this so it didnt bothered that much.

tiesto has to spin longer than 3 hours if he wants to keep his NY fan base.

Venue is absolutely horrible. It WAS a 120 degrees in there but I still had a good time. Tiesto had a decent set although I think he could have varied the energy level a little bit. It seems all too constant.

You know, that's two times in a row that he threw down a short set and walked out all rushed. The last time he was here, it was at the Roxy and he had equipment problems throughout the night. He cut his set at 3.5 hours and then left. Now the same thing happens at Avalon. 3 hour set and he just rushes out. Is he becoming the new Oakenfold? But I think I can understand where he's comin from too.

1) It's 120 degrees in there with absolutely NO air circulation

2) you have a glass wall literally 2 feet behind you with 50 ppl plastered against the window (that's gotta be a creepy sight)

3) you have ppl coming in and out of the dj booth, messing with your groove and your set...then blaming you for trainwrecking and having no vibe

4) your middle turntable is having problems

Anyways, the vibe was at its peak when he played Love Comes Again. Then it died down until he played Traffic. After that, I think the vibe was so so for the remainder of his set.

I would never go back to Avalon. I'm done with that place. There is absolutely no ventilation and the # of stairs and tunnels just doesn't mix well with major events.

A couple quick thoughts from a bystander-

what I noticed-

huge diversity of the crowd- a group of six guys in white shirts and black slacks (Wall St.?) Girls dressed like it was the 1980's- very Pat Benatar lookin. Some unfortunate "country" lookin types, Obvious Tiesto fans carrying cd's, etc...Twenty five people bum rushin the exit door to take pics of Tiesto as he left the club. What this makes me believe is that when advance tickets to a world known DJ are for sale, people who are not usually the NYC club crowd get their shot to drive to the city without worrying about door policies, etc...But still, these were obviously fans, and what is important is how all these different people found some common ground last night and spent all those hot hours together without hardly an incident.

the sight of all those hands and faces , chanting his name up towards the DJ booth was awesome.

Does an air conditioner exist in this world that could cool that many people jumping up and down for hours and hours?

Lastly, and what no other reviews mentioned, was the near seamless transition to Eddie Lee's set, which kept the crowd going for hours afterward. Everyone who I spoke to as they left said they had a great time.

is eddie lee like a resident at that place or something

cuz didnt he open and close for christopher lawrence also

Yeah, he's been the opening/closing DJ for (i think) every Avalon event that I've been to. No complaints at all though. Sometimes, he ends up being better than the main attraction.

i think that trainwreck that evryone heard was actually the record or cd skipping. im just thinking that because even though it sounded like a trainwreck, why did he just take the record off after a few seconds and put another one on after about 5 seconds of complete silence. i just assumed that the record was scratched and he just gave up on it and put another one on. anyone?

yea idont think it was a train wreck it sounded like the record skipped or something

but even if it was a train wreck... chill out...people are allowed to make mistakes, no big deal its not like HE CANT DJ. he just like made an error no biggie. it happens. no reason to scream and pout.

YOu think ROXY woulda been better than avalon? hell fuckin no. get a clue. capacity is HALF of what avalon is... plus even if the ac was on all the way, with lots of vents, u cant cool off that many people. i think the heat and the sweat just adds to all the excitement. last year they PACKED into roxy and u couldnt even move. at least at avalon u could find some dancing room or cool areas (back room).

Oh i was wondering why the set went from REALLY hard to just ambient type trance. that's weird. i didnt even notice he stopped spinning. lol.. opps. i was thinking to myself hm this doesnt sound like tiesto anymore hahaha. iwas under the dj booth so i couldnt see up. hahah.

maybe he got tired or something. but yea if he really left at 4:30 that sucks he shoulda spun longer!!!!!!

it doesnt matter where tiesto plays its gonna be ridiculously packed. the first time i saw him was at exit and even that place was shoulder to shoulder. it was MUCH MUCH worse than avalon was. i found one spot on the balcony all the way in the back (opposite side of the floor from the booth, right above the stage) and i had a good 3 feet of space all around me and it wasnt nearly as hot as it was down on the main floor.

i thought i was just being overcritical about it being a shitty set. but im glad im not the only one who feels that way. i feel real bad for one of my boys. he's been a tiesto fan for yrs but never saw him live b/c he's been in the military. so he was anticipating this nite for months and i always told him how great it's be and there was no song he wnted to hear more than Lethal Industry, and i told him it would def be played. i cant believe he didnt drop it. wtf?!

Limited air conditioning, thousands of ppl, narrow stairs and hallways, a small dancefloor and tons of balconies don't mix well with extremely large events like Tiesto. Is roxy crowded? Yeah. But at least you can get from one place to a cool outside area or back lounge in a minute or two. You don't get drinks or vomit spilled on you from 3 flights up. You don't have to literally MASH ppl to get outside for some air.

What club has a great cooling system? Crobar. S&D at crobar was PACKED but the heat was under control. (Not that they'd bring a trance DJ in).

Anyways, I don't mean to be too harsh. I definitely had a good time even with the heat and the short set. I just think it could have been much better. That is all. I was sweating like a pig but I still danced my ass off.

Reason I bitch is that it seems like the last few times he's been to NY he doesnt give a shit. His last set at roxy wasnt that great and again he just jetted after a few hours. besides when the record skipped bad and he stopped it, there were 3 or 4 AWFUL mixes. I mean worlds #1 you dont fuck up that many times, and i dont bye the turntable excuse im hearing about all the bad mixes. I was watchin him the entire set, it was his mixing. I am still shocked that he didnt play his new remix of Lethal Industry or Senorita.

i didnt mind his set, he had a couple tracks...one particularly had me going, but i cant even remember how it went...i just knew it was a sick jam

i thought it was ridiculously hot when i saw Ferry there...it was probably 10X worse this saturday

Overall though had a good time

i agree with ronin. he's gotta do longer sets in NY. i dont know about other american cities he spins at but it seems like he dont give a hoots ass about ny. am i wrong for thinking that? i've been a huge die hard fan and only once, he did a set longer than 4 hours at club exit and this was back in 2001. This was when exit had the dj booth on the ground level opposite the stage.

he has to know nyc is one of the media capital in the world and if he keeps pulling these short sets, the media will raise hell. his rep will be tarnished and is this what he want? I just hope being the #1 dj for the past 2 years didnt go to his head.

i've been reading the threads and i am happy we all had a good time. crobar would a good venue to invite a well-known dj. i was at crobar for s&d, it was packed yet i was able to breathe in there. but to say avalon is better than roxy is insane. avalon's mainfloor is only 1/3 the size of roxy's mainfloor(i am being nice already). sure avalon's peak is 4 stories but when the place is so crowded, who wants to walk all the way up and down on those 4 foot wide corridors and stairwell. good luck to those drunks and non-drunks walking around that night.

btw, did anyone notice a bloody up dude on the floor near the stage? i am not sure what happened to him but when he jumped right up, he startled everyone with his eyes filled with blood. i hope the dude is ok.

next stops, pvd at c. park and dt/cox at roxy

-peace-

dc

btw, did anyone notice a bloody up dude on the floor near the stage? i am not sure what happened to him but when he jumped right up, he startled everyone with his eyes filled with blood. i hope the dude is ok.

-peace-

dc

was it a peurto rican with long hair maybe in braids? If so he cause trouble in the hallway with the blue lights, and then 5 minute later came stumbling back in there with a broken nose and blood gushing from every part of his face. it was disgusting and he got blood on everyone in his path and security tracked him down by following his blood path he was leaving behind. he got knocked the fuck out big time.

yeah that's the dude! he had long braids with plenty of lights on him. boy he got smashed big time. for that split second when i saw him, he looked horrific with blood dripping from his eyes. i thought his eyes rolled out.....j/j

That was one sick sight.

Even though it was hot, even though he had a couple bad transfers and yes even in spite of the fact my boys and I got blood on us I still had a great time. All of us together chanting T-I-E-S-T-O was the shit. I'm just happy I got a chance to see him. Lets not forget the tickets were very inexpensive so the short set didn't bether me. Loved how you couldn't tell Eddie Lee stepped in, very smooth. Guys it could have been worse, the girl spinning cds in the bathroom could have been in da booth. :yuck:

Anyways, my only complaint was that I was too tired to make Morillo at disco...Gonna be a while b4 he's back :splat:

:bounce: although tiesto was much better at Ultra in Miami, it was still great to hear tiesto in New York. I met Tiesto at a private signing in March 2003 in Miami and he is still one of the nicest and most chill person you can meet. I agree avalon was not the right place for him to be spinning but they did do a good job making sure everybody with a ticket got in and did not have to wait to long on line........and the crowd was good for the most part....no teeny boppers overdosing which would give the cops an excuse to shut the place down. Its good to see techno becoming popular again in nyc. :bowdown: