Clubplanet Nightlife Community

How do you dance?

SIGH at mask, dude HOUSE originated from DISCO, OLD SCHOOL R &B and FUNK. Your comment about freestyle and hip hop is wrong. REad "LOVE SAVES THE DAY the definitive guide to dance culture 1970-1979" by TIM LAWRENCE and also watch maestro also talk to people who have been aroud. Freestyle music was played in nyc via the funhouse djs jellybean,and then louie vega, as for the artists like ALL great DJS were inspired from LARRY LEVAN at the PARADISE GARAGE and DAVID MANCUSO at THE LOFT. While simultaneously FRANKIE KNUCKLES was playng at his temple THE WAREHOUSE in chicago at the same time that the garage and the loft were doing NYC.

Frankie and LARRY played the same style cause they grew up together as teenagers in brooklyn and partied in manhatthan and they both worked at the gallery for the dj there NICKY SIANO. So when LARRY was offered the warehouse job he turned it down and his best friend FRANKIE went over. Hows this for the story of house. ONE night frankie knuckles and a friend i think ether LIL RAY were driving down a highway in like 81 or 82,83. And a bar had a huge sign that said "WE PLAY HOUSE MUSIC" frankie says "LETS GO INSIDE I WANNA SEE WHAT THIS HOUSE MUSIC IS SOUDS INTERESTING" the driver tells frankie thats the name that everybody as calling HIS STYLE ofmusic being playd at the wareHOUSE". Kids who were buyin the records were saying i play music like at THE HOUSE.

SO in closing lol first there was THE SANCTUARY,THE LOFT, THE GALLERY, PARADISE GARAGE,WAREHOUSE,THE SAINT,MUSIC BOX, and THE ZANZIBAR(NEW JERSEY). ALL these clubs were the grand fathers of everything else in this culture. Roxy which opened in 1979 as well is not consdered as significant cause it was a roller rink(wth dj DANNY KRIVIT) first then a hip hop club.

And the first house record itself is hard to say cause people were mostly calling it dance music. Also if you wERE to buy the AZULI compilations called "CHOICE" by FRANKIE KNUCKLES, FRANCIOS K, DANNY TENAGLIA, TONY HUMPHRIES, LOUIE VEGA. Inside the cd theres some history tehre as well with the words from the djs who were around at the begging and explain it thoroughly. Also FREESTYLE when it first came out was refered to as LATIN HIP HOP. As for hip hop right now i cant name the sample that was taken from a WEST END RECORD LABEL in 1972 that was first used in the BRONX for the up and coming unamed hip hip culture. The djs would play the break from the song over and over again while and mc called the breakers to dance. West end was a prodiminant record label who made records to be played by THE LOFT AND PARADISE GARAGE.

As for breaking its always been around at the begining of hip hop and house. I seriously suggest EVERYONE to WATCH MAESTRO (and read the book i mentioned above as well as the book by mel cheren "KEEP ON DANCING MY LIFE AND TIMES WITH THE PARADISE GARAGE".Mel was the financial backer of the garage and his membership card says NUMBER 1. Hes also the founder of west end records and still runs it. Also Tim lawrence will have a follow up to the book called "AFTER PARADISE DANE CULTURE 1980-1989 later next yr hopefully)when it is reeased on DVD later this yr, if you havent seen it in the theater. And then you will see WHO really created this music that eveyone loves:GAYS.

For sure this is the last paragraph WHY NOT JUST GO TO SPIRIT on AUG 17TH for LARRY LEVANS BDAY TRIBUTE.Hes been dead since 1992 and is still regarded as the greatest dj ever by almost everybody from tenaglia to morales, to vega to vasquez. Check out that party and crowd and music.

SIGH at mask, dude HOUSE originated from DISCO, OLD SCHOOL R &B and FUNK. Your comment about freestyle and hip hop is wrong. REad "LOVE SAVES THE DAY the definitive guide to dance culture 1970-1979" by TIM LAWRENCE and also watch maestro also talk to people who have been aroud. Freestyle music was played in nyc via the funhouse djs jellybean,and then louie vega, as for the artists like ALL great DJS were inspired from LARRY LEVAN at the PARADISE GARAGE and DAVID MANCUSO at THE LOFT. While simultaneously FRANKIE KNUCKLES was playng at his temple THE WAREHOUSE in chicago at the same time that the garage and the loft were doing NYC.

Frankie and LARRY played the same style cause they grew up together as teenagers in brooklyn and partied in manhatthan and they both worked at the gallery for the dj there NICKY SIANO. So when LARRY was offered the warehouse job he turned it down and his best friend FRANKIE went over. Hows this for the story of house. ONE night frankie knuckles and a friend i think ether LIL RAY were driving down a highway in like 81 or 82,83. And a bar had a huge sign that said "WE PLAY HOUSE MUSIC" frankie says "LETS GO INSIDE I WANNA SEE WHAT THIS HOUSE MUSIC IS SOUDS INTERESTING" the driver tells frankie thats the name that everybody as calling HIS STYLE ofmusic being playd at the wareHOUSE". Kids who were buyin the records were saying i play music like at THE HOUSE.

SO in closing lol first there was THE SANCTUARY,THE LOFT, THE GALLERY, PARADISE GARAGE,WAREHOUSE,THE SAINT,MUSIC BOX, and THE ZANZIBAR(NEW JERSEY). ALL these clubs were the grand fathers of everything else in this culture. Roxy which opened in 1979 as well is not consdered as significant cause it was a roller rink(wth dj DANNY KRIVIT) first then a hip hop club.

And the first house record itself is hard to say cause people were mostly calling it dance music. Also if you wERE to buy the AZULI compilations called "CHOICE" by FRANKIE KNUCKLES, FRANCIOS K, DANNY TENAGLIA, TONY HUMPHRIES, LOUIE VEGA. Inside the cd theres some history tehre as well with the words from the djs who were around at the begging and explain it thoroughly. Also FREESTYLE when it first came out was refered to as LATIN HIP HOP. As for hip hop right now i cant name the sample that was taken from a WEST END RECORD LABEL in 1972 that was first used in the BRONX for the up and coming unamed hip hip culture. The djs would play the break from the song over and over again while and mc called the breakers to dance. West end was a prodiminant record label who made records to be played by THE LOFT AND PARADISE GARAGE.

As for breaking its always been around at the begining of hip hop and house. I seriously suggest EVERYONE to WATCH MAESTRO (and read the book i mentioned above as well as the book by mel cheren "KEEP ON DANCING MY LIFE AND TIMES WITH THE PARADISE GARAGE".Mel was the financial backer of the garage and his membership card says NUMBER 1. Hes also the founder of west end records and still runs it. Also Tim lawrence will have a follow up to the book called "AFTER PARADISE DANE CULTURE 1980-1989 later next yr hopefully)when it is reeased on DVD later this yr, if you havent seen it in the theater. And then you will see WHO really created this music that eveyone loves:GAYS.

For sure this is the last paragraph WHY NOT JUST GO TO SPIRIT on AUG 17TH for LARRY LEVANS BDAY TRIBUTE.Hes been dead since 1992 and is still regarded as the greatest dj ever by almost everybody from tenaglia to morales, to vega to vasquez. Check out that party and crowd and music.

aiight dude .. if u say so ..

peace

the MASK

i like to make the sound of drum and bass become a pattern/the basic beat, add little bit Incredible Hulk or Tom Collins then try to shake your head first after tha wait a couple minute then your body start to move after that i just move (some i learn by watching other dancer some came from nowhere some from my daddy :D)

i gues some move got inspired by other

some just flew up from combination of music and the Mood

i like the music fast but not to fast coz i still wan to catch up the beat and the step that i made match each other ......

LOL@bluedragon .. dude dont be modest i saw you dancing and u do good .. kid

peace

the MASK

My ability to rip shit depends mostly on who's spinning, and what's being spun. For instance, I can't get open to deep house, regardless of who's spinning it. I need agressive, bottom-heavy house to get me going, and it has to be dropped at the right pitch. I can't stand djs who play the nastiest beats too fast.

I can't really describe my style, if I even have one, but THE MASK has seen me dance. Maybe he can come up with some kind of name for the way I dance, LOL. I never get on my hands and shit though; I'm a feet-only person, and I usually push them to the limit.

My ability to rip shit depends mostly on who's spinning, and what's being spun. For instance, I can't get open to deep house, regardless of who's spinning it. I need agressive, bottom-heavy house to get me going, and it has to be dropped at the right pitch. I can't stand djs who play the nastiest beats too fast.

I can't really describe my style, if I even have one, but THE MASK has seen me dance. Maybe he can come up with some kind of name for the way I dance, LOL. I never get on my hands and shit though; I'm a feet-only person.

Rudy dude .. i have seen you dancing and you are fine man .. as for your style .. hmm ..

u do a lot of foot work and side moves .... they are fast and rythmic .... kina remind me of those russian dancers in that Broadway show .. (can't remember the name) .. but pretty good at it dude

peace

the MASK

Rudy dude .. i have seen you dancing and you are fine man .. as for your style .. hmm ..

u do a lot of foot work and side moves .... they are fast and rythmic .... kina remind me of those russian dancers in that Broadway show .. (can't remember the name) .. but pretty good at it dude

peace

the MASK

LOL...I can picture myself on stage now, with a thick, furry Russian hat, my hands folded, and my legs kicking about furiously. :funny:

Silverbull I am thoroughly impressed with your info. Where the hell was zanzibar cause I remember that club when I was growing up always being on the radio. And the oldschool roxy def remember. Like watching video music box back in the day and seeing the breakers there. Cool stuff. Too bad I was too young to go out back then.

Digital

....dude HOUSE originated from DISCO, OLD SCHOOL R &B and FUNK. ..... And then you will see WHO really created this music that eveyone loves:GAYS.

your entire post was excellent; very nice overview.

Just one question/comment (regarding the above quote); I thought it was black gays specifically. (or maybe I should say - most of the people that started it were black and gay)

I read this article a while back - the author was very insistant and stressed this point several times.

This was to give the entire "feel" for the scene - as something underground, almost secretive.

These guy were carring double the burden - not only were they black, they were also gay.

yup it was black gays and latinos. But i didnt want to say it cause last time i made a comment about race people didnt understand. Gay whites did have a part in it as well but not as predominant as the black,latin gay community. And yes back then the word UNDERGROUND was real. Now when people say the word underground i thnk there only saying it cause it sonds cool please if you go to hear boris at crobar and think its underground WAKE UP. There is still an underground scene INDEED alive in NYC.

aiight dude .. if u say so ..

peace

the MASK

hes absolutely right........to the T......

house originated from disco....all the basic elements are there...all the different types of drums. BPMs and measure structure...

how u figure deep house sounds so much like disco then?

old school house (and im talking reallllly old school) developed into the 90's stuff. then into techno, then trance ect. its all taken from the original stuff DISCO.

theres an old saying my friend.....

"disco never died, it just turned into house"

true, party segragation according to music taste.

cross neighborhood fights all the time, lotta times over girls that bounced between turfs.....interesting if you liked bouncing :bounce: around all the turfs.

i 'member taking a buncha big ass black doods from 1018 (roxy) to bayridge for breakfast cuz it was raining & we had issues at the club and one of my friends liked one of their crew. they was uptight in the diner I chose(Guido haven). i didn't quite understand....so, i was like....ahhh all chill, i gots ya backz. wuz an underground breakfast party...breakfast @Tiffany's.........

i think things are a bit calmer nowadays with neighborhoods, yeah?

hes absolutely right........to the T......

house originated from disco....all the basic elements are there...all the different types of drums. BPMs and measure structure...

how u figure deep house sounds so much like disco then?

old school house (and im talking reallllly old school) developed into the 90's stuff. then into techno, then trance ect. its all taken from the original stuff DISCO.

theres an old saying my friend.....

"disco never died, it just turned into house"

:cool:

peace

the MASK

NO RULES are my rules however your body reacts to the music is just right. Thats why ilove house so much cause people can dance it in so manydifferent ways unlike other forms dancing. I use to have a way with dominican women at clubs when i use to do the latin club scene from like 96 to 98. Merengue and bachata were my faves. Personally the only dancing style that annoys me is the GUIDO step i dunno why it bothers me so much. Personally i just feel like theres no creativity in it. Also dont get me wrong i love and respect break dancing but after like 5 or 10 mins of it straight i think its boring. Thats why much respect to those who can break and bring about different styles with it.

I was asked to be a teacher for crunch gym earlier this yr cause of what they saw of me at ARC for dannys closing party. But that didnt work out after 2 classes cause i could never explain to the class what i was doin lol. Its all about freestlye to me. And hows this for a side twist i was invited to a class once by a teacher i met at abaya one night. And well it was an advance hip hop class at steps it was the hardest thing i have ever tried. Everyone looked like a music video but i wasnt impress cause i hate that style. But i can respect and appreciate the hard work that it is. But like the teacher told me if there at a club they probably wouldnt look good dancing cause its a different style involve. Hes like CLUB dancing is all about heart and soul and personality while formal dacing is taught. And most club dacers are better naturally but have a hard time adjusting to formal.

i agree with you that best dancing is what makes u move .. no specific name for it .. house or no house .. break or not ..

when ur body and the music becomes one . then u r dancing .that is how i always think of dancing

believe it or not .. that girl in the vedio . she can dance .. ok her moves might be funny . but so what .. she can move lots of muscles in her body .. she totally synched with the song .. she had lots of diff moves .. and most important . she was creative in some of those moves .. she totally danced

and i agree with you . break dancing is great . but u know what kina/type of moves will the dancer do . and that wont take away anything from how amazing those folks are ..

to me . dancing is all about creativity .. surprise people .. with your moves .. with your attitude .. (funny .. sad .. energetic .. angry .. excited .. sexy .. strange .. whatever it is . as long as it is attitude) .. with your style .. dont be slave to one style .. think of the music and let it tell u what to do ..

express yourself .. make a statement .. slide on the floor if u feel it .. jump up and down if u feel it .. spin .. or stop and look back at people .. smile .. or grin .. throw your arms in the air .. or twist your body ... express yourself .. and make a statement

as for classes .. when i used to teach dancing in the new school .. my class totally did not work . coz people showed up expecting that i teach them a specific moves .. while i wanted to teach them moves that they can create . expressing themselves .. and so become theirs .. i wanted to teach them to blend attitude with style .. to the liking and feeling of music .. not many people understood that .. and so i did not teach long time either ... hehe

oh and one more thing . dont look at people and be shy .. imagine there is no one there but you . and listen to the music .. if u can do that .. u can dance ..

peace

the MASK