Clubplanet Nightlife Community

DJ Mag turns on Tiesto

Hyype

...tenaglia (which to me is the KING of house !! )

he does play alot of stuff played by everyone else.. only he mixes it with the shit noone else is spining ;)

and dont tell me know cause i saw tenaglia every single time he was at space ;) ...

I've never been as impressed with Tenaglia's sets in Miami or even Athens for that matter if I compare them to his 'Be Yourself' party at Vinyl. But I'm not gonna argue against the fact that he's the king of house. That's a given! :D

look at the TRUE djs that are the fucking best and NEVER play the same shit....

Tenaglia

Tomiie

Hawtin

Picotto

ect.ect. ect.....

They keep their shit fresh to death AND still play some of the classics....

Uh ok...call me crazy but is that a bit contradicting?

Lets face facts here gentlemen (and ladies):

I have been noticing that the biggest debate between trance and house is this..and im going to break it down..

A) The Music: Figure things this way. Trance has its ups and downs which are more audible than house. the biggest difference (which the top trance dj's more than likely hammer out) is the constant use of synths, which from what i have seen, househeads HATE. They love the hypnotic beat produced by the bass frequencies and the nasty vocals that churn up with it..if any. Trance supporters enjoy the euphoric 'energy' feel they get with faster beats rounded off with synths and vocals, with breakdowns that are very dramatic. Sure, there are exceptions, much like that recent tribal-tech phase coming in that is thanks to people like Sam Sharp, Randy Katana, and Push (who has been around FOREVER, but is starting to get his due for this type of music thru the moniker of Dimitri Andreas). But however way you cut the cookie, it always comes down to my 2nd option, which is why alot of househeads hate trance:

B) Clubs- Let's face it... clubs play whats popular and they play it to death. It's a sad but true fact. If you can rewind to back in 1998-early 2002, what was the majority of the music being pumped out by these clubs? ENERGETIC trance! However, it seems that clubs noticed that trance was beginning to sound a bit monotonous due to the fact that although there were different types of trance out there, there were too many clones playing the same type. I'm sure that if we had 4 different clubs playing 4 different types of trance...they would be alive and kicking. but the same thing in all four clubs is going to push people away wanting somethign different. Same goes for house now. All I hear from alot of people that go clubbing (and many that do not) is that the scene is starting to overlap itself from the repetition of the SAME music genre OVER and OVER and OVER again.

Thats what makes WMC and Ultra so popular to the fans and locals..because its their chance to have some variety!

What would you think if you were a trance head and 3 different clubs right next to each other played trance. however, club #1 played Ferry Corsten type trance, club #2 played Push-style trance, and club #3 played Paul Van Dyk trance? I think it would give everyone a reason to want to go out because they would hear different sounds from the same genre.

How about if you were a househead and was able to have the same scenario, but adding in house dj's like Vibe, Felix da HouseCat, or Satoshii Tomiie?

I think that this option should be explored, becuase both audiences have had enough of the same overlapping of dj's and need something fresh. Some clubs need to get on the ball *cough cough State ahem Mansion cough Nocturnal cough Metropolis cough cough* :)

This would be interesting... Now..as for Tijs, they call this the 14:59 effect..he knows the downward spiral is coming..why not have a kcikass cheese sandwich to enjoy on the plane with some red bull and vodka? :pint:

lol and that thing about irony, with the trance dj and cheese sandwiches...lol priceless! I nominate that best CP quote of 2004! :pint::pint: -Red Bull!

-Carlos

PS- this is coming from a trance dj ;-)

Great post Carlos :)

I think 4 years ago the Trance scene in South Florida had some variety thanks to Edgar V. George Acosta was playing Hard German Trance, and was playing it very well, while Edgar played a bit of it alongside a lot of the Euphoric Trance coming out from the UK and Holland. The problem is that most of the other DJs in town tried too hard to go for the same Hard Trance sound that Acosta was championing. You had Padilla, Garfield, and even guys like Ivano Bellini for a while were focusing on that same exact sound. Some people even started calling it Miami Trance.

Honestly, there isn't much of a difference between the type of Trance Tiesto, Armin, Ferry, or PVD will play. They all play the same type of Trance that Edgar plays. They can all be heard playing Progressive House tunes like James Holden "Nothing", they can all be playing Progressive Trance like "White Room", or something from Marco V., Above & Beyond, and Gabriel & Dresden. They all at times have sets that lean more on Tech Trance (like Randy Katana and Sam Sharp), or Progressive House/Trance, or just a mostly hands in the air set. All depends on their mood, their time slot, the length of their sets, the records they're feeling the most that particular week, and how the crowd looks. Tiesto in the past also dropped House records like Sono "Keep Control", PVD plays some Breaks or House tunes like "Bucci Bag" in his sets, and both Tiesto and Ferry might drop some pure Techno on occasion. Edgar is known for playing a lot of House music that's produced in Miami when he warms up to PVD. What PVD, Tiesto, and Ferry all do to help seperate themselves from each other is to play a lot of their own records, or tunes from their personal record labels. That's why Paul Van Dyk's sets sound a bit tougher/harder in terms of beats per minute. Armin seems to be a bit more humble in that regard, and doesn't focus as much on his own productions (at least not yet).

Paul Oakenfold usually plays a bit more Progressive House then these DJs, while Judge Jules will play a little more Mainstream Trance, and might even include some Funky House in his set.

Then you have guys like Christopher Lawrence and John 00 Fleming who will go more towards underground Trance, and will even drop a little bit of Psychedelic Trance.

Marco V. seems to change his style every year. In the late 90s he was into producing and playing commercial Trance like his track "Luvstruck" under the alias Southside Spinners, with Benjamin Bates. Then he went towards the same sound as Ferry and Tiesto, then was the first to champion the Tech-Trance sound, and he even dropped a lot of Techno in his sets. Now he's moved back more towards Progressive Trance and Progressive House of the type Paul Oakenfold and Markus Schulz love to play.

My apologize for the dormant posting...but I felt that this was a good time to shed some light on what alot of people feel and what is misunderstood about the genre's.

I understand also that the dj's play a variety of things but I mean the sounds more towards a local perspective. to be honest, many locals play hundreds of times better than some of the top 100 dj's..they just dont have that 'big break' they need to get out there.

I'm sure that if a group got together and started doing this, that nights would be great again in SoBe and downtown, and they wouldnt have to rely on filler companies like SobeSpots or ClubHoppers or any other companies to get heads in the door. no matter how many drink passes or free entries that clubbers get, they will ALWAYS pay for quality. Clubs just have to get creative with it.

Edgar and George will always play what they want here because there is no apparent competition that comes out with their own sound. I dont blame them for bringing around different styles...nobody else but the A-listers do anyways! Miami will understand good music if the scene brings back people that help diversify it. Personally, I'd like to catch a glimpse of Timo Maas ripping it up again, or Lawler, or Cor Fijneman and Ton TB. Why cant they play here? because clubs feel the money they ask for is way too much, or is it because they dont feel since they are top 5 dj's that they wont make a skyrocketing profit the first night they come down?

I used to love hearing about when George went to Club Spin...not necessarily just because he was going to spin at a club that i thought had the best room on south beach (still do...Gerry Kelly needs to get on the ball and do some big things there!), but because of the fact that he brought so much talent over there as well thru frank. I thought it was great that people like Alex Gold, Lange, and Talla got the chance to come down here for a non WMC night an rip it up for us. We need more of that here..there is alot of quality music out there if you just look at people's tracklists and see who is lightin things up in the studios.. Club owners and talent coordinators need to dually look outside the box.

btw- thanks for the props CHRIes

-C

Turkey has long been a holiday tradition; in fact, 95 percent of those surveyed by the National Turkey Federation (NTF) reported eating turkey last Thanksgiving. While most Americans preparing Thanksgiving dinner roasted their turkeys (94 percent), interest and experimentation in non-traditional methods of turkey preparation, such as deep-frying, brining, smoking and grilling, are gaining in popularity. Surprise your family and friends with a new spin on this old favorite.

It's simple to be creative when you cook with turkey because it's easily seasoned and complements any dish on the table. "You can change the flavor profile of turkey by altering the cooking method, preparation or both," said Sherrie Rosenblatt, NTF's director of public relations. "Experiment with different rub and marinade seasonings, then try deep frying, brining or grilling for added flavor." The Lemon Garlic Roasted Turkey recipe can be easily adapted from the roasting method to grilling or deep-frying techniques. The citrus and garlic flavors are quite complementary to the taste of turkey.

Be creative with other dishes on the table too. 94 percent of those who prepared Thanksgiving dinner last year included a stuffing dish. This year, try rice as an alternative to stuffing. Ginger Citrus Rice is both low in fat, easy to prepare and packed with flavor.

Don't forget to use these flavorful leftovers for quick-to-prepare meals. Cooked turkey is an ideal base ingredient for stir-fry dishes, pizzas, frittatas, fajitas, casseroles, chilis, sandwiches, salads and soups. For more ideas on using turkey to create deliciously different recipes, go to www.eatturkey.com for a virtual encyclopedia of cooking and preparation tips.

MARINATE FIRST

Marinades are seasoned liquids in which the turkey is soaked both to absorb flavor and to tenderize. Most marinades contain an acid such as vinegar, citrus juice, wine and herbs or spices. One of the easiest ways to marinate a turkey is by using a needle-like injector. Injectors can be purchased at kitchen supply stores and range in price from $10 to $15.

To marinate a turkey without an injector, simply use a fork to make random holes over the entire bird. Place the turkey in a large, plastic cooking bag or foodservice grade plastic bag, pour in the marinade, close the bag securely and let it marinate overnight. Turkey should always be marinated in the refrigerator. Before cooking, be sure to scrape off excess marinade and discard. Do NOT re-use marinade to baste the turkey.

ROASTING TURKEY

Roast until the internal temperature reaches 170ºF in the breast and 180ºF in the thigh. Cooking times are for planning purposes only--always use a food thermometer to determine the correct stage of doneness.