Clubplanet Nightlife Community

9 players suspended for Pistons/Pacers fight

http://www.nba.com/news/pacers_pistons_041121.html

NEW YORK, Nov. 21 -- The following suspensions were announced today by NBA Commissioner David Stern, resulting from the events during the Indiana Pacers at Detroit Pistons game on Nov. 19.

Pacers forward Ron Artest has been suspended for the remainder of the season.

Indiana guard Stephen Jackson has been suspended for 30 games.

Pacers forward Jermaine O’Neal has been suspended for 25 games.

Indiana guard Anthony Johnson has been suspended for five games.

Detroit forward/center Ben Wallace has been suspended for six games.

Pistons forwards Elden Campbell and Derrick Coleman and guard Chauncey Billups have each been suspended for one game for leaving the bench during an on-court altercation.

Indiana guard Reggie Miller has been suspended for one game for leaving the bench during an on-court altercation.

In announcing today’s actions Commissioner David Stern issued the following statement:

“The penalties issued today deal only with one aspect of this incident – that of player misconduct. The actions of the players involved wildly exceeded the professionalism and self-control that should fairly be expected from NBA players. We must affirm that the NBA will strive to exemplify the best that can be offered by professional sports, and not allow our sport to be debased by what seem to be declining expectations for behavior of fans and athletes alike.

“There are other issues that the NBA must urgently focus on at this time. First, we must redefine the bounds of acceptable conduct for fans attending our games and resolve to permanently exclude those who overstep those bounds. Participants in and around the court must be assured complete protection from unacceptable fan behavior. Second, we must re-examine the adequacy of our current security procedures in Detroit and our other 28 arenas. The actions at Friday’s game, though unprecedented, must now be factored into all efforts to guarantee the well-being of our fans. Third, we must develop and implement new NBA rules to assure that the unavoidable confrontations likely to occur in the heat of competition are not allowed to escalate to the level we witnessed on Friday even prior to the egregious behavior by individuals in the stands.â€

I think the suspensions were a little too harsh. Take away the fact that Artest is an idiot and "deserves" some sort of reprimand in general. I would put any player in the picture and hold the same reserve. Fans need to start growing up... they should never throw anything at any player, of any sport. Fucken low lives in Detroit. Reminded me of the idiots at Yankee stadium that used to throw batteries... the "strawberry" incident was funny though.

Artest should have been suspended 20 games at most without pay. That judgement completely eliminated the Pacers' opportunity to do something good this year. What's fair is fair. And for the record, I hate the Pacers and Reggie Miller...

So jumping into the stands warrants forfeiting $4 million in compensation? I would sue the NBA if I was him. There is no quantifying his actions to that extent of punishment. What will happen to the fans that threw stuff in the crowd? Nothing. Justice is the word.

Let's not even try to compare this to Milton Bradleys incident... we all know how less severe the penalties were... Artest is just being set as an example. Why did the league never take action against Rodman? All sports are becoming a joke now.

So jumping into the stands warrants forfeiting $4 million in compensation? I would sue the NBA if I was him. There is no quantifying his actions to that extent of punishment. What will happen to the fans that threw stuff in the crowd? Nothing. Justice is the word.

Let's not even try to compare this to Milton Bradleys incident... we all know how less severe the penalties were... Artest is just being set as an example. Why did the league never take action against Rodman? All sports are becoming a joke now.

professional bowling is where its at...

Bowling is bullshit - ping pong is where the action is... damn, I can't even believe I watched that shit the other night on ESPN...

do u see bowling now...ppl yelling and holding up banners...high fiving of the players...bowling is excitement...pure adrenaline rush...

This was his third time, should they wait until he kills someone. Rodman never jumped in the stands, baseball is a different game, the fan who threw shit will lose his season tickets and get banned from games. The most he could do is file a grievence with the players association which i do not think will fight to hard because 75% of the people in the world think that the punishment is right.

I would have a little more sympathy for Artest if he went after the right guy. The fact that he went after the wrong dude suggests that he really had no clue who threw the beer, and he just wanted to hop in the stands and throw someone a beating. I think the suspension is fair just based on that.

Basically we are talking about 2 different things. The first is the "what would you have done" in the same situation. I think it's safe to say that 90% of us would have reacted the same way IF we saw who threw the beer in the first place. Not that that would make it right...

The second thing we are dealing with is NBA policy, which pretty much says that if you go into the stands you're done whether you're provoked or not. Someone could have thrown the beer during pregame warmups for no reason at all, but if you choose to deal with that fan on a personal level then your ass will be suspended whether it was justified or not. So when players choose to go after fans they should know the consequences of those actions and decide whether it's worth it or not...

So if you are standing in the street and get pummeled with a water balloon filled with beer. People are standing around you... let's make it populated and say you are in Times Square during lunch (so now you are the pun of the joke). Will you not go beserk and go after someone? Yes, you might be an ass and go after the wrong person, but if you see the one person laughing the loudest, do you not think you would probably go after that person?

Whoever would just sit in the middle of the street or walk away is a punk.

I am not saying he is 100% right... my opinion is the blame goes 50/50... he wouldn't have jumped in the stands if the beer wasn't thrown. Fans are getting a little too aggresive these days and the shit needs to stop. Pretty soon we are going to be like England and South America with the soccer riots. And I will say that yes he was stupid for jumping into the fans... you are representing your employer on the court. Oh well, hopefully there are plenty of celebrity golf tournaments that he can take up with his free time.

So if you are standing in the street and get pummeled with a water balloon filled with beer. People are standing around you... let's make it populated and say you are in Times Square during lunch (so now you are the pun of the joke). Will you not go beserk and go after someone? Yes, you might be an ass and go after the wrong person, but if you see the one person laughing the loudest, do you not think you would probably go after that person?

That's not a simliar situation because I'm not a famous celebrity or athlete. If that happened to me and I went after someone, I might actually be able to get away because no one knows who the fuck I am... A better scenario would be if the same thing happened and there happened to be a cop right there...If that was the case, would you still go after someone?? Because if you do then you go to jail as well... Artest knew he was getting suspended if he went into the stands and he chose to do it anyway, for the third time...

For the record, I don't think Artest is 100% wrong myself. It's just that the NBA has a zero tolerance policy against this type of thing and every player knows it from the moment they come into the league. Are you telling me that if cops came to that section and threatened to arrest the whole section that people wouldn't have coughed that guy up??

I am not saying he is 100% right... my opinion is the blame goes 50/50... he wouldn't have jumped in the stands if the beer wasn't thrown. Fans are getting a little too aggresive these days and the shit needs to stop. Pretty soon we are going to be like England and South America with the soccer riots. And I will say that yes he was stupid for jumping into the fans... you are representing your employer on the court. Oh well, hopefully there are plenty of celebrity golf tournaments that he can take up with his free time.

If i get hit with a water balloon walking down the street and i go after that person either i beat the guy or he beats me then we both probably go to jail.

IF I am at work and i get hit with something I would probably say to myself is it worth it?

Is it worth me losing my job, just because i got hit with something. Hell no, I laugh at that person as he gets thrown out and i laugh when i cash my checks that that guy probably makes in a year. I laugh when i get in my brand new bently, and i laugh knowing that he will have to punch a clock for 40 more years while I will be rich for the rest of my life.

When i jump in the stands all those poor schmucks get to laugh at me.

But there is something mentally wrong with him, he has no stop button in his brain.

And do not give me that everyone would do it. That is BS. Baseball players get hit with shit all the time, and only a couple psycos have gone into the stands.

The last time I stood up for myself someone unloaded a clip at me. You can avoid fighting in 99% of all situations, the right thing to do is be responsible and walk away... because these days you never know who you're fuckin with. People like Artest eventually get themselves killed because they can't control themselves...

When you're making $5mill a year, you don't need to fight some hick that threw a beer cup at you... because you already beat him in so many ways, you simply win by walking away and going home to your mansion and bombshell wife. I guess if you're insecure and need to prove your manliness though, going on a rage is the thing to do.

like i said before he is lucky he did not get stabbed, good thing he was in the expensive seats.

what i really wish is that poor white guy who artest went after was like a black belt in everything and beat the shit out of him.

like that hells angel actor(oz) that knocked van damn the fuck out.

If i get hit with a water balloon walking down the street and i go after that person either i beat the guy or he beats me then we both probably go to jail.

IF I am at work and i get hit with something I would probably say to myself is it worth it?

Is it worth me losing my job, just because i got hit with something. Hell no, I laugh at that person as he gets thrown out and i laugh when i cash my checks that that guy probably makes in a year. I laugh when i get in my brand new bently, and i laugh knowing that he will have to punch a clock for 40 more years while I will be rich for the rest of my life.

When i jump in the stands all those poor schmucks get to laugh at me.

But there is something mentally wrong with him, he has no stop button in his brain.

And do not give me that everyone would do it. That is BS. Baseball players get hit with shit all the time, and only a couple psycos have gone into the stands.

How can a baseball player in the outfield go after someone? Is he realisitically going to climb over a wall? Baseball players are in the worse situation for going after fans (same with FB and hockey). Artest was within striking distance of the fan that threw the drink and he acted. Who knows what the guy said to him. All I'm saying is that you don't know your reaction until you are put in the situation as stupid as it may seem afterwards. Lord knows I have acted on impulse many a times, most recently going after three skum bags in Fort Lauderdale cause I couldn't take their trash talking to a girl I was walking with... did she mean something to me? No, but it was the disrespect that got to me. Thankfully I didn't get in trouble with the cops that responded.

Trigger seems like he had a similar incident as well. Impulse is a bitch and makes us regret things later on... "fight or flight" - it's human nature.

The punishment fit the crime. If Spree got a year off for choking his coach, I think Artest got off light for pummeling a fan. Especially because it was the wrong guy. Thats called criminally negligent assault last time I checked. He's an ass. Too bad he is one of the most complete players in the L.

Stephen Jackson should have suffered the same penalty. O'niell got burned though. I have no problem w/ a player laying out a guy on the court. 10 games max. I am still confused why they gave Wallace 6 games. I have seen players do much worse in retaliation to a cheap foul, and they recieved no more than 3 games.