Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Christmas bonuses/raises?

nomembername

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah the 50% tax on a bonus is bullshit but fuck that I'm still not putting it ALL away in my 401k plan...I def put a decent amount of it away so the govt doesn't totally fuck me but I need to pay some bills right now and go out and have some fun, blow some of it on hookers & drugs

Must I teach you guys everything? Put all your money in the 401k. If you need a couple grand, take out a loan against the balance in your 401k. Therefore the 30% that you would be taxed on by the government is pretty much all yours. Yes, you will have to pay interest on that loan, but the interest is paid to yourself and you can net it against your 30% tax savings... still a win/win situation. You have the money and you have your stipend to blow. We won't even get into additional dollars that the money will appreciate to (hopefully) down the road or extra money if your employer matches.

I blow tons of money, but your bonus is something you should put away. Enjoying it now is a great feeling, but 10 years down the road you ask yourself why...

Here's the 60 second 401k explanation:

401k plan is an employee compensation deferral plan that is available at most (not all employers). In order for a company to provide a 401k plan for their employees they must meet/comply with certain ERISA requirements (Employee Retirement Income Securities Act - I believe). In short it's a deferred compensation savings program that entitles you (full time employees only usually) to deferral a percentage of your salary on an annual basis up to the IRS cap for each year (2004 the cap is $13k for 2004 its $14k). You are allowed to place money within your respective account each year (subject usually to working with your company for one full year). The money/contributions can be allocated amongst a variety of investment options usually ranging from 3 (city workers/teachers) to 20 (large companies). These investments are stock/bond and other funds with different growth strategies.

The purpose with a 401k is that you save the money for your retirement. You are not supposed to take money out until your retire (65 I believe) and all of the income gained on these assets is non taxable until retirement (when you withdraw those assets I believe). There is a ton more that you can read about a 401k - you can borrow against the assets up to a certain percentage (max $50k) if you want to purchase a house. There are allowable withdrawals if you are experiencing hardship such as health or bankruptcy, etc.

2 yrs ago our boss took us to lunch in the city and a broadway show. I live and work in Allentown. Last year he took us to see a Sixers game in a box with dinner and this year he's taking us to a VIP room at the 40/40 Club, I believe that's what it's called, JZ'S place, for dinner and dancing. It's cool!!Money would work but I would just spend it anyway. We have more fun this way!! Have a great holiday everyone!!

Nutcase - I forgot to mention that these dollars are pre-tax contribution dollars (although if you reach the cap you can contribute post-tax dollars as well). The benefit to contributing pre-tax dollars is not only saving 30% roughly that the government would other-wise receive in taxes, but you may also knock yourself down to a lower tax bracket for income tax purposes.

I get 10%, but receive it annually at the end of February and put it all into 401k... why the hell would you want the government taking half of it off the bat and you can't see the 10-20% you get back until a year later... defer it all, you will be happy in the long run.

I didn't know you could do that.

Since I started a new job this year, I'm actually going to get a bonus :clap2: We also have a real company x-mas party too. My old job gave us a frozen turkey.