Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Paul O Review

HE WAS INTO IT, SOUND WAS GREAT, PLACE WAS INSANE, BUT CAME ON AT 2/OFF AT 4. GIMME A BREAK!!! 2 HOURS AT HIS ONLY NYC SHOW. PATHETIC. LIQ. TODD FOR 3 HOURS, NOT ENJOYABLE TO SAY THE LEAST. OH WELL ITS TOUGH TO GET LONG SETS OF QUALITY TRANCE IN NYC. PEACE. :type:

HE WAS INTO IT, SOUND WAS GREAT, PLACE WAS INSANE, BUT CAME ON AT 2/OFF AT 4. GIMME A BREAK!!! 2 HOURS AT HIS ONLY NYC SHOW. PATHETIC. LIQ. TODD FOR 3 HOURS, NOT ENJOYABLE TO SAY THE LEAST. OH WELL ITS TOUGH TO GET LONG SETS OF QUALITY TRANCE IN NYC. PEACE. :type:

Paul Oakenfold doesn't like to spin live because he's not very good at it... This is from the word of mouth of a dj that has toured with him. You will never in your lifetime see him spin more than 2 hours.

-Peter

Well, what did you expect, he rarely ever spins more than 2 hours, you should have known that

Oakie f'n killed it last night!!! Almost every track was good and the energy from the crowd was amazing. As expected, his set was around 2 hours; but at least he doesn't play 4 hours with 2 hours of filler tracks like some other DJs do. The DJ who came on after him (Eddie Bang?) was dropping some great tracks as well.

Great night overall.

thats fine with me. play filler material. at least it would be trance. i love house dont get me wrong, bot okie is trance and 2 hours is just not enough. i dont care what he usually does. this is nyc.

what does nyc have to do with it? The guy is known for only playing 2 hours why would he change just because of the city he is in? That makes no sense at all.

well i guess i can always say i saw okie. bit if 2 hours is it, then thats the last time.

agreed, I haven't seen him spin for more than 2 hours in years (which is why I also quit going to his events). I don't want to pay $40-50 to go where he's headlining and only have him play for 2 hours, it sucks.

so right. and who was the genius that booked liq.todd first for 3 HOURS! i guess he has a fan base. but for the crowd i was with we couldnt wait for him to be off. well soon going to see armin at spirit. at least i know from experience you get alot more for your money. :type:

liquid todd was spinning everything under the sun... a lot of breaks though.. he looked like such an underground rave dj from like 1994 with that outfit... funny shit..

i thought the night was great... i've been wanting to check out liquid todd for a while now and he definitely didn't disappoint.. he kinda just dragged on for a bit though because i couldnt wait for oakenfold to come on..

oakenfold definitely tore the place a new asshole... his first two tracks made the 40 dollar cover worth it... he opened with a gabriel & dresden remix of an above and beyond track... and then "traffic".. his set was definitely a "journey".. he started out hard, tranced it out for a bit, threw ins ome breaks here and there and then finished up strong... he finished with a remix of u2 "vertigo".. i was really hoping to hear jump the nxt train by the young parisians but maybe next time..

HE PLAYS THE WORST FUCKEN MUSIC ON EARTH!

I WOULD RATHER STAB SCREW DRIVERS INTO MY EARS THEN HEAR HIM PLAY

ONLY HIPPIES, GOOKS, AND SLINKY FAGGETS LIKE HIM

i heard him spin 3+ hours at centrofly twice in 2003.

havent heard him since a year ago at exit but usually he has sm banging tracks on the progg tip. and of course the melodic trance. I will see oakey again but i had other parties the last 2 times he played nyc- I went to driick carter at avalon in summer & DT/lawler thisd week as opposed to seeing oakey.

i didnt mind the sacrifice. Im sure lawler was at least as goos as oakey is pron better

Well, got there early, and nobody was there... at first I thought nobody would show up. But its oakie which means everybody is there...

Todd did suck, my friends wanted to drop, but one of them lost their stuff at the door. I didn't know they started frisking...

Even then the wrong music to drop to...

Oakie was typical oakie, 2 hrs, and excellent tracks...

I think seeing Oakenfold in NY is a rip-off, b/c of the steep price. Only in NY is he $50 bucks at the door. Everywhere else its 25 or less...

I don't think he started with Gabriel & Dresden's Above & Beyond... (still tryin to ID what he opened with)...

Traffic was definitely in there, and he must've droppped at least 3 tracks from his new Creamfields CD...

Including U2-Beautiful Day 2004 remix, Perfect Wave, Stel & Good Newz - Particle?

And I told my g/f three days ago, "i bet oakie remixes U2's new song..." and sure enough it was there...

I can understand those that don't want to go anymore. My advice is to see him elsewhere... the 2 hours are good.

I think the best is at the WMC where he spins from 12-2 or some shit and then is followed by Sandra Collins & Ferry Corsten... more bang for the buck!

I can understand those that don't want to go anymore. My advice is to see him elsewhere... the 2 hours are good.

I've seen him in:

Toronto

Montreal

New York

San Francisco

Los Angeles

London

Ibiza

Detroit

and he was awful and mostly overpriced every time I saw him. The whole over-charging thing really started around late 2000. I saw him quite a few times between 96 and 99 it didn't cost me my first born child. Again, 2 hour sets every time.

-Peter

I've seen him in:

Toronto

Montreal

New York

San Francisco

Los Angeles

London

Ibiza

Detroit

and he was awful and mostly overpriced every time I saw him. The whole over-charging thing really started around late 2000. I saw him quite a few times between 96 and 99 it didn't cost me my first born child. Again, 2 hour sets every time.

-Peter

If he's awful why do you waste your time going? That would be like me going to hip-hop clubs over and over and complaining about it everytime...

I don't have any sympathy for bad choices. I enjoy his sets, granted he can't mix, and he doesn't usually spin any new tracks... but its still great music. For the most part I've never been disappointed with his set, I can't say that about Sander Kleinenberg or some of the other DJ's.

liquid todd had me bored to tears!! his set was dragging and really fuckin boring couldnt wait for him to leave...oakie was real good and a really nice vibe overall..i wish he would go longer than 2 hrs or at least get a bvetter choice as an opening dj than LT

If he's awful why do you waste your time going? That would be like me going to hip-hop clubs over and over and complaining about it everytime...

I don't have any sympathy for bad choices. I enjoy his sets, granted he can't mix, and he doesn't usually spin any new tracks... but its still great music. For the most part I've never been disappointed with his set, I can't say that about Sander Kleinenberg or some of the other DJ's.

I stopped going to see Oakenfold by choice back in 99. Every time since then I've gone because the friends of mine going haven't seen him live before and want me to come along. I can still get into his sets and enjoy some of the classics he tends to put on, but technically, I think he's pitiful. Maybe I'm a hard critic, but I've been around the scene for a little while and I've heard alot of great dj's... Oakie isn't one of them.

-Peter

agreed, I haven't seen him spin for more than 2 hours in years (which is why I also quit going to his events). I don't want to pay $40-50 to go where he's headlining and only have him play for 2 hours, it sucks.

I was considering checking this night out, but after hearing some of these reviews I'm kind of glad I didn't go. I've seen Oakenfold like 3 or 4 times in Bastan (at Avalon and Axis) and each time he gave it his all. I wasn't a big fan of his at the time, but respected his approach and effort he put into his sets. The last time I saw him was in 2000 or 2001. I'm surprised to hear that he only played for two hours? I guess that's how long he plays now? Again I haven't heard him play of late, but it seems like he's more into producing movie soundtracks than djing these days. You can't totally blame him though because if Hollywood was calling wouldn't you be listening too? It's all about making a ton of money quickly and Oakenfold's used to getting paid. If he only plays for two hours though, then I probably won't pay to see him again. Is he playing on NYE ? If so it maybe another ripoff in the making?

I was considering checking this night out, but after hearing some of these reviews I'm kind of glad I didn't go. I've seen Oakenfold like 3 or 4 times in Bastan (at Avalon and Axis) and each time he gave it his all. I wasn't a big fan of his at the time, but respected his approach and effort he put into his sets. The last time I saw him was in 2000 or 2001. I'm surprised to hear that he only played for two hours? I guess that's how long he plays now? Again I haven't heard him play of late, but it seems like he's more into producing movie soundtracks than djing these days. You can't totally blame him though because if Hollywood was calling wouldn't you be listening too? It's all about making a ton of money quickly and Oakenfold's used to getting paid. If he only plays for two hours though, then I probably won't pay to see him again. Is he playing on NYE ? If so it maybe another ripoff in the making?