Clubplanet Nightlife Community

To those curious about Manumission in NYC

jimk29

Last month's victory by George W. Bush in the United States presidential election has caused The Biggest Party in the WorldTM, Manumission, to reconsider their planned jaunt.

Speaking to Ibiza Spotlight yesterday (Wednesday December 8), publicity head Mike McKay confirmed Manumission would not be staging a series of parties in New York this year or the next.

"We live on one of the freest islands in the world and the prospect of going to New York now does not appeal. I was put off by a recent visit. The clubs are full but there are no characters about," he said.

For those not familiar with the brand, Manumission has made Monday nights at the overly spacious Privilege nightclub a wildly popular draw, featuring a bawdy mix of burlesque, bands (click here for our review of their 10th birthday celebrations) and rave music. Over the years they have taken inspiration and staff from New York in particular and the US in general.

Tattooed strippers, rock groups such as the Rapture, and disc jockeys great and godless have performed since the Ibiza inception of the ‘Mish ten years ago.

However America's recent lurch to the right in cultural and civic life has hit clubbing hard, especially the enacting of regulations limiting the very act of dancing itself. The underground has thrived despite or perhaps because of this overt repression but a party of Manumission's profile and notoriety might easily attract unwanted attention.

However Mike says he is hopeful of a one-off gig this coming February for New York fashion week. Mooted too is a trip to Sao Paulo, Brazil, where there's "more sun, sex and freedom".

right on jmk, like its the presidents fault clubbing is the way it is. they are not coming? so dont. we will survive. we all go to crobar and dance the night away and have a great time. the atmosphere is just fine. clubbing is the what you make of it. the music matters the most and right now djs are peaking on the above and ungerground scene. what goes in europe does not matter. enjoy the scene here. keep it drug free, embrace all people regardless and DANCE!!!. peace. :type:

the fact that they're citing Bush's re-election as a reason not to come here.

I think that they were more focused on their recent experience putting them off... meaning that they didn't like what they saw when they went to the clubs here.

I think that they were more focused on their recent experience putting them off... meaning that they didn't like what they saw when they went to the clubs here.

"Last month's victory by George W. Bush in the United States presidential election has caused The Biggest Party in the WorldTM, Manumission, to reconsider their planned jaunt."

This was the first line of the article and stood out the most to me.

"Last month's victory by George W. Bush in the United States presidential election has caused The Biggest Party in the WorldTM, Manumission, to reconsider their planned jaunt."

This was the first line of the article and stood out the most to me.

I read that. But I don't think that was the true reason for them not coming here.

Then they should say what they mean and not use stupid politics as their reason for not coming. If they can't even be truthful in an interview about them not coming then good, glad to see they aren't coming.

From that quasi interview I gather that they are full of shit....anybody who truly believes in spreading the EDM culture would want to come to US NOW - if they say that Bush/Right wing conservatives are messing up the scene - that should be enough to throw some hot parties.

When you are told that your culture or lifestyle is in jeopardy - the more reason you have to come and help out...show us the good times...keep the scene alive....take it to the next level.

I read that. But I don't think that was the true reason for them not coming here.

Then why say it in the first line of the statement? I'm not a fan of GW's but to blame the state of NYC clubbing on him is crazy

Blame the mayors of the city, blame the crackheads who can't handle their drugs, blame the bad promoters or owners who only care about the bottom dollar. Don't blame the president

plus who wants their ass' here anyway

Then why say it in the first line of the statement? I'm not a fan of GW's but to blame the state of NYC clubbing on him is crazy

Blame the mayors of the city, blame the crackheads who can't handle their drugs, blame the bad promoters or owners who only care about the bottom dollar. Don't blame the president

True. Guiliani's crackdown on NYC and Sen. Joe Biden's (DE, Dem) force-feeding Congress the RAVE act had the most serious repercussions against the state of clubbing...

I don't really care if they come or not, personally I think that the Manumisison party sucks. I've been to it twice and didn't like it either time...

I was just trying to give some information to people who might have been wondering the status of the party.

check out this months issue of urb. interview with sasah who is now living in ny and says the scene in the usa is more focused and honest. states that the scene is so massive in europe and that in the states its a smaller following but those people(US)are very dedicated to the scene and he really enjoys spinning here thus the residency at crobar. now sander is setting up residency, so i guess we are doing something right. :type: