Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Some producers shouldn't spin...

philippio

Have you ever come across any artists that possess fantastic production/remix talent but when they're faced with the task of dj'ing, they lose their cool?

I can think of a few:

DJ Garth

Patrick Turner

DJ Buck

Eddie Amador

Jay Tripwire

Boy George

Omid Nourizadeh (16B)

Deep Dish (referring to productions before their Yoshiesque sets; now they just plain out suck, IMO)

Simon Dunmore (Defected's front man)

DJ Dozia

:D

yet...somewhat in his defense, he never really took it seriously...

(from a Lunar interview a few years ago)

Lunar: Now, how are you enjoying your newly-found DJ talent?

BT: [excitedly] Oh my gosh dude, I suck...

Lunar: [laughs] Well that's what we've always appreciated about you is that your honest about it, you know from the first Renaissance compilation you did.

BT: Well, I think everybody just takes that shit so seriously. I'm like, "You get to fly first class for playing records?" I may not play with my band anymore because that can be a pain in the ass sometimes! If I want Thai food, or I want to go to a strip club, I mean I just get on the plane with a fucking box of records and go and party. I mean I totally miss playing with my band, but we're not going to do it until the next record comes out, but [DJing's] a lot of fun man. And also I like testing out my new tracks and I like testing out my friends' new tracks and then I can get feedback on at least the stuff I do for the dancefloor.

Lunar: Right, so when you DJ does your style stay characteristically your sound or do you just play all over the place?

BT: Oh it's all over the place, but the two things that I primarily play are funky breaks and sort of emotional, progressive stuff. But not like the fucking Oakenfold-style, you know-a little more classy.

Lunar: So how do you find that the crowd responds compared to a live performance?

BT: They go spastic dude! It's insane, it's crazy. I think that it's fun for crowds too because they're used to a lot of DJs, I mean either you have like Jesus Christ Superstar Paul Oakenfold doing his hanging from the cross thing, or you have people that totally don't interact with the audience at all. There's nothing really in between, and I just go and I don't take it serious. I just go and have fun. I keep getting in trouble for doing this, but during records that I really like I'll run out in the audience, which has happened to me many times now, and the place just goes spastic. They're like "Holy shit!" I mean, I just have fun dude.

boy george started out as a dj tho......with Pete Tong...when no one knew who they were........their secret was playing good records and getting peeps on the floor.....back then no one gave a shit if u could mix i suppose...people get flamed for trainwrecking these days lol

no he's just playing the Defected pool part @ the National on Wednesday.....

DEFECTED IN THE HOUSE

THE NATIONAL HOTEL

Wednesday 23rd MARCH 1pm - 9pm

Featuring

The Original Pioneers

Blaze

Kenny Dope

Danny Krivit

Jay J Hernandez

Simon Dunmore

Hosted by

Barbara Tucker

DEFECTED IN THE HOUSE

AMIKA

Thursday 24th MARCH 10pm - 6am

Featuring

The New Masters

Main Room

Sandy Rivera

Martin Solveig

DJ Gregory

Copyright

Special live guest PA's

Room 2

Soul Central

Oli Lazarus

Franck Roger

Dennis Ferrer

Danny Marquez

Plus

LIVE PA's at both events

from

Reel People - performing tracks from their album Second Guess

Blaze Feat Barbara Tucker - Most Precious Love

boy george started out as a dj tho......with Pete Tong...when no one knew who they were........their secret was playing good records and getting peeps on the floor.....back then no one gave a shit if u could mix i suppose...people get flamed for trainwrecking these days lol

who wants to hear beats bang against each other?

who wants to hear beats bang against each other?

well i know i dont :laugh:

but im just saying, Dj's are human.....not for nothing but hearing a trainwreck from a bigtimer once in a while is refreshing.....at least i know they are mixing and not just throwing in a cd or using a comp..

i was also stating why Boy george got to where he was....cuz people liked what he played...it would be a different story these days tho..