Clubplanet Nightlife Community

What is the history of Ultra and WMC?

first ultra was on the beach with only about 8thousand people. rabbit in the moon and union jacks headlined. the second one was on the beach also had about 15thousand people, it was to damn packed. had sasha and digs, ritm to name a few on the mainstage. the event was all out of order they ran out of water and did not have no time schedule. third they moved to the amphitheater off of the beach. it was a total flop the place was pretty much empty. fourth one got back on track and its history ever since. dont know shit about the history of wmc. i started attending the first year of ultra. i was a vendor for two and three and the people that i dealt with are no longer with the organization. hope this helps a little.

first ultra was on the beach with only about 8thousand people. rabbit in the moon and union jacks headlined. the second one was on the beach also had about 15thousand people, it was to damn packed. had sasha and digs, ritm to name a few on the mainstage. the event was all out of order they ran out of water and did not have no time schedule. third they moved to the amphitheater off of the beach. it was a total flop the place was pretty much empty. fourth one got back on track and its history ever since. dont know shit about the history of wmc. i started attending the first year of ultra. i was a vendor for two and three and the people that i dealt with are no longer with the organization. hope this helps a little.

man dont forget BUKEM was there. gr8 gr8 sets and Hybrid

I was at the first Ultra Beach Festival. It was located in between 22-23 and Collins in Miami Beach. I'd say around 6-7 thousand people through the gates at the First Ultra.

Talent Included:

Rabbit in the Moon

Hybrid

LTJ Bukem

Union Jack

Simply Jeff

Steve Lawler

Keoki

Sandra Collins

Danny Rampling

Chris Fortier

Bruce Wilcox

Luis Diaz

Dimitri

AK 1200

John Kelly

Sam Mollison

20th or 25th, but most likely the 20th yr party.

I find it hard to believe that there were DJ's spinning in S. Beach 20 years ago at all the clubs down there. I thought the S. Beach scene didn't really start taking off till around 15 or so years ago. Whatever.

used to go back in the day, but stopped going 2 or 3 years ago when the WMC just turned into a week long sound factory beach party.

I hear you on that. I wish I would have went before it got really big and it was still on the underground tip. It's sickening to hear about all the drama like paying some asshole a hundred bucks just to cut the line. There should be some type of control about shit like that.

I find it hard to believe that there were DJ's spinning in S. Beach 20 years ago at all the clubs down there. I thought the S. Beach scene didn't really start taking off till around 15 or so years ago. Whatever.

it WAS the 20th year for wmc. keep in mind it wasn't nearly the event/ week long party that it has become.

also, i don't think any of the clubs that are there now would have been around then. some are in the same bulidings, but still different clubs.

jerry's deli use to be the warsaw ballroom some time back

opium garden use to amnesia

prince owned a club called glam slam

groove jet was of the best clubs around as far as drawing dj talent

shadow lounge also drew in top dj's

crobar was cameo theatre (i remember seeing rabbit in the moon- 1998)

this is all just 6-10 years back. i'm not sure what was around 20 years ago but there must have still been a place to party. i would be interested to know how/ why the wmc actually started though

Actually there has been a club scene LONG before the WMC came around.. I've been DJ-ing for over 18 years.. so I can testify that there has pretty much always been a scene (but not like is is today)

@ Ultra.. Yesssss they are $$$ BANKin' $$ but it does cost a Lot of money to produce an event of this size... however they are clearing at least 60% profit of all tickets which legally sold and accounted for..

Originally Alex & Bruce (last names not included for respect of privacy) were the two Main guys who ran the festival for at least 5 years or so.. but now as far as I know Alex is solo but, picked up other investors and a co-producers to make it happen as it has in the past.

I hate to say it but from my personal experience the fesitival has overkilled itself, and it's only a matter of time before Space takes over (and they will)

Peace,

B~

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
I hear you on that. I wish I would have went before it got really big and it was still on the underground tip. It's sickening to hear about all the drama like paying some asshole a hundred bucks just to cut the line. There should be some type of control about shit like that.

Last Year I went down to Miami just for the Ultra Musci Festival and now I now to look out for other Big names at the clubs..etc...etc...Its awesome that you can go on vacation for a week and see or uhm hear all the best talent from all over the world.

The Conference in general was started in 1985, like Nancygroove said.

There was a club scene in Miami in the late 70s - early 80s...clubs like Cheers, Fire and Ice, the original Salvation, 1235, Warsaw, etc ... it was a vibrant scene, but largely very local and "industry" oriented.

The big touring DJs of the day would come down, much like today...the prime difference was that the "celeb" hype wasn't there.

Miami in March certainly has changed over the years. It has gone from an industry-only sort of thing, to a more party oriented atmosphere. Personally I'm glad for it. You can only spend so many hours hearing about how Ableton is gonna change the world :) ...

The Conference in general was started in 1985, like Nancygroove said.

There was a club scene in Miami in the late 70s - early 80s...clubs like Cheers, Fire and Ice, the original Salvation, 1235, Warsaw, etc ... it was a vibrant scene, but largely very local and "industry" oriented.

The big touring DJs of the day would come down, much like today...the prime difference was that the "celeb" hype wasn't there.

Miami in March certainly has changed over the years. It has gone from an industry-only sort of thing, to a more party oriented atmosphere. Personally I'm glad for it. You can only spend so many hours hearing about how Ableton is gonna change the world :) ...

yah, who cares about Ableton...let's party