Clubplanet Nightlife Community

L.A. Nitelife ...

marcodavalos

Talked to some peeps in the industry this past days down there, and having been briefed by them of the State of California restricitons, decided to go and checkout Avalon on Saturday nite. My original intentions were to hit Spundae at Circus for Sneak and Colette and then head over to Avalon for Richie Hawtin.

2 am is the latest clubs can serve alcohol in California. Some clubs are forced to close at 2 am ... others like Circus close at 4 am, and will stop serving alcohol at 2 am ... and Avalon, which closes at 7 am, stops serving at 2 am but can serve again at 6 am.

For a Miami clubber, all this restrictions were a serious headache. Had learned that Richie Hawtin would start playing before 2 am, so decided to check him out and see what could L.A. have that Miami doesn't, in order to see Hawtin outside of WMC.

Got to Avalon at around 1:30 am after a great dinner ... Richie Hawtin was arriving to the club with a couple friends of his. Introduced myself, and mentioned Ramon in my intro, of course to be greeted by Richie with great courtesy.

We get in, and find, to my great surprise, that the place is packed. Great diversity of peeps ... super good looking girls and a perfect atmosphere. 5 minutes later, Richie Hawtin gets on the dex.

Between the rush to get at least 3 drinks in my hands in 30 minutes ... and the fact that the smoking area in the club is the side alley ... the 1st half hour til the bar closed was kinda weird ... especially having 5 other peeps to take care.

Nevertheless ... Avalon was getting OWNED by Richie. For those who haven't been there ... it looks like the old Cameo ... with the 2nd floor the mezzanine of a theater.

Big room ... filled with clubbers, the kind we had in Miami in the late 90s ... the feeling you used to get at Crobar in its first 2 years combined with the darker feeling of the 1st Space main room.

My conclusion is that eventhou the restrictions to club the way we do in Miami ... the vibe and music could slash out most Miami nites thruout the year.

Really glad I went to check out Avalon ... hopefully someone gets their act together and brings Richie down to either Space or Nocturnal.

Wow, Marco... sounds like a good time. Regarding the smoking, I actually like the fact that the smoking area is outside (being practically a nonsmoker). It's the same way in NYC. It really helps to breathe inside and you don't leave the club wreaking of other people's smoke. I would have liked to hear how Sneak and Colette were. :D

Richie Hawtin was arriving to the club with a couple friends of his. Introduced myself, and mentioned Ramon in my intro, of course to be greeted by Richie with great courtesy.

We get in, and find, to my great surprise, that the place is packed. Great diversity of peeps ... super good looking girls and a perfect atmosphere. 5 minutes later, Richie Hawtin gets on the dex.

Between the rush to get at least 3 drinks in my hands in 30 minutes ... and the fact that the smoking area in the club is the side alley ... the 1st half hour til the bar closed was kinda weird ... especially having 5 other peeps to take care.

Nevertheless ... Avalon was getting OWNED by Richie. For those who haven't been there ... it looks like the old Cameo ... with the 2nd floor the mezzanine of a theater.

Big room ... filled with clubbers, the kind we had in Miami in the late 90s ... the feeling you used to get at Crobar in its first 2 years combined with the darker feeling of the 1st Space main room.

My conclusion is that eventhou the restrictions to club the way we do in Miami ... the vibe and music could slash out most Miami nites thruout the year.

Really glad I went to check out Avalon ... hopefully someone gets their act together and brings Richie down to either Space or Nocturnal.

glad someone else sees that hawtin is the man ;)

did you met any of the la folks? i know a few of them.

:o about the mentioning my name? did he say anything? lol

i hope we see hawtin down here sooner than later. :)

#1 dj in the world period.

Yeah bro ... he said "of course I know him bla bla bla" ...

While in the club I talked for a while with his buddy Kevin, who travels with him quite a lot. He was telling me how last year he had problems with his visa and shit. The anecdote is that Hawtin and Kevin arrived with this gorgeous girl, to be honest with you, I have never seen Magda in person ... so when I was talking to Kevin, she introduced herself and I was like LOL, thought she was Magda.

Anywho ... the following morning at 11 am we were checking out from the hotel and while waiting for the valet to bring our rental, Hawtin was there with his crew. I had no clue if they had slept or not ... so didn't bother them.

Wow, Marco... sounds like a good time. Regarding the smoking, I actually like the fact that the smoking area is outside (being practically a nonsmoker). It's the same way in NYC. It really helps to breathe inside and you don't leave the club wreaking of other people's smoke. I would have liked to hear how Sneak and Colette were. :D

The smoking area was packed all nite. Great place to socialize. :D

Yeah bro ... he said "of course I know him bla bla bla" ...

While in the club I talked for a while with his buddy Kevin, who travels with him quite a lot. He was telling me how last year he had problems with his visa and shit. The anecdote is that Hawtin and Kevin arrived with this gorgeous girl, to be honest with you, I have never seen Magda in person ... so when I was talking to Kevin, she introduced herself and I was like LOL, thought she was Magda.

Anywho ... the following morning at 11 am we were checking out from the hotel and while waiting for the valet to bring our rental, Hawtin was there with his crew. I had no clue if they had slept or not ... so didn't bother them.

Was her name Nancy? If so she was in Detroit.

Slept? lol those people never sleep.

Glad you enjoyed hawtin and as I said before I hope to see him in Miami sooner than later. :)

Kevin posts on another board i read.

Was her name Nancy? If so she was in Detroit.

Slept? lol those people never sleep.

Glad you enjoyed hawtin and as I said before I hope to see him in Miami sooner than later. :)

Kevin posts on another board i read.

Nancy could be her name. Couldn't hear ... don't like to ask again.

As to Kevin ... very cool kat. I would really like to see them in Miami. How does BDB sound to you as a venue?

Nancy could be her name. Couldn't hear ... don't like to ask again.

As to Kevin ... very cool kat. I would really like to see them in Miami. How does BDB sound to you as a venue?

Back Door Bamby with Richie Hawtin? Not sure if it's the "right" crowd. It would certainly be interesting though. :D

Back Door Bamby with Richie Hawtin? Not sure if it's the "right" crowd. It would certainly be interesting though. :D

Lets see ... I'm thinking of a big room first of all. That's why I thought of Crobar. Now, on special events, BDB pulls their regulars and also educated music heads. It is a Monday party, so it takes that extra "love" for the event to drag a musichead there, hence the "educated" term I used. Last Monday is the perfect example.

Issue would be if Hawtin could pull music heads to complement the BDB crowd, on a Monday. With the proper promotion, I believe it could be done.

When it comes to THE MUSIC ... all special events at BDB depart from the party's format. This has been the case for years. If there is something I admire of BDB is their ability to complement music with production. And this combination is what makes their regulars support the party for years.

Also ... after hearing Hawtin at Avalon's big room last Saturday, if he played to the same crowd Sasha and Paolo played last Monday, the party would have flown off the roof.

Because he's had a lot more exposure in the mid-west, I have a whole group of friends from the Chicago area that think he is a god. :aright:

One club doesnt make a city. Avalon is one of the only venues in LA where you can hear electronica. Every other club is hip hop. And Ive got two other words for you "Bloods" and "Crips".

On a plus for LA clubs, Shaquille O'Neil was denied entry into a club two years ago because he and his 11 man "posse" all showed up in tshirts, jeans, and sneakers. Somewhere Kobe Bryant was laughing his ass of.

:shoot:

One club doesnt make a city. Avalon is one of the only venues in LA where you can hear electronica. Every other club is hip hop. And Ive got two other words for you "Bloods" and "Crips".

On a plus for LA clubs, Shaquille O'Neil was denied entry into a club two years ago because he and his 11 man "posse" all showed up in tshirts, jeans, and sneakers. Somewhere Kobe Bryant was laughing his ass of.

:shoot:

Maybe you didn't understand the context of my statement ... Saturday nite with Richie at Avalon could slash most nites in Miami in terms of music and vibe. Of course ... that's my conclusion ... aka opinion.

As to Shaq ... I couldn't care less, I doubt we'll ever coincide at a club.:cool:

Maybe you didn't understand the context of my statement ... Saturday nite with Richie at Avalon could slash most nites in Miami in terms of music and vibe. Of course ... that's my conclusion ... aka opinion.

As to Shaq ... I couldn't care less, I doubt we'll ever coincide at a club.:cool:

Marco, nice report brother, I wantn to hear the stories in person, as far as Shaq goes, I saw him the other day at Sky Bar and the guy can't party out in public...as soon as he walked in the room and ovation broke out and he walked away almost immediately, he probably parties in boats or penthouses, I doubt he hits the clubs frequently...I could be wrong.

:party:

blahlb.gif