Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Steve Lawler @ Spirit TONIGHT

SUP! ya i wanna check this out tonight but i have no one to go with!!! :( style? crowd? info info INFO :peeleft:

Lawler is house .. tribal, crowd .. lawler was resident at twilo a few weeks before it got closed down.

hey man i hope you had a great bday party up in shoalin .. hopefully i see ya there .. IM me later if anythign.

Lawler was good, nothing amazing, but a solid set overall. Crowd was weak, very weak, but that's typical of NYC's big room parties these days, so not unexpected.

Can anyone ID the song he opened up with, or the first few.... that bass was disgusting!! Props to Sprit for having a great sound system imo. No ringing in the ears at all and i was there 6 hours. Lawler was great, good mix and great people to fuel the night with plenty of dancing...

kim,binary,amanda,brandon,jess, and a slew of other names that are escaping me right now ... but i had a great time.

Sadly to say i have to agree at times the crowd wasnt up to par with the music. The energy in there at times was violent then at times it was just like someone was constipated. Either way, i had great company to help me not even care or notice and i fully enjoyed his set!

did he play dark beat?? cause after he did that to me @ Arc 2 yrs ago...i declared it a wrap on Lawler

He actually did that a few months ago at The End here in London. And within 30 minutes of Dark Beat he played Milkshake. Awful.

hearing how great he was last night, NOw keith you say NOTHIN GOT YOU REALLY GOIN, can i ask, what and who gets you goin? remember iw asnt there so i cant comment either.

never said it was bad ...i was movin some parts of the night i never heard him live before i guess i expected more cause people speak so highly of him like sayin he is on or better than dannys level

never said it was bad ...i was movin some parts of the night i never heard him live before i guess i expected more cause people speak so highly of him like sayin he is on or better than dannys level

Definitely not on DT's level... Not even close. However, when he's on he's a lot of fun in his own right...

totally agree lawler's music was off the charts. it was the hardest set Ive ever heard him play. started out with a couple tribal percussion pieces then went right into the dominant style for the next 4 hours- fast electro very german sounding, shades of tech-house in there too.

usually Ive heard lawler play progressive with nasty basslines & a generally dark house flavour with a few poppy highs.

he did bring a couple strong progressive house jams in the middle- to later set, but primarly he was playing fast electro, not the piddly synth doodles that make most 'electro' so annoying- we're talking HUGE stomping german sounding electro, almost industtrial at points. think kraftwerk's darkest material with the gothic chords & the beat turned up too 11.

there was at least 1 filetred soul-vocal number, but even that was set against a churning dark tech-house bed.

I think lawler took a risk with his set, showing us the state of the art of tech-house-electro-progressive.

it was a harder, fiercer style than the normally chugging progressive house we heard at crobar and roxy in 2004. it was faster darker harder more evil.

lawler looked different with the beartd i thought he had been talken over by the evil village people side of his personality.

kept me interested from start circa 1:30- all te way til past 5:.

when he went back to the 'house that jack built' with a dark progressive mix, i knew he had shown us what he had prepared.

unless i missed a different sound/style for the 5:30-6: am encores?

there were some cool people for sure, i enjoyed hanging on the leather sofas & then when i walked to the dancefloor bar like 4:30 i saw more energy & a few hottys there. but in a way it was a fairly mangled crowd, not exactly rammed crowded but not a bad turnout either. i hope lawler comes back later in the year,

maybe november? hes on my shortlist of djs go to every time.

i loved his crobar & roxy sets in 2004 and this one was just as great, if impressive partly for the boldness of his fierce electro & techy/industrial.

its a sound that not every 2005 progg house dj can pull off but lawler rocked it hardcore for hours.

actually if you want to know what it sounded like at times, ever heard oakenfold's goa style circa 1994-95? or the best hard parts of the fluoro cds, not the orchestral interludes, i mean the squalchy fast goa/hard trance/electro? thats what a lot of lawlers reminded me of a dark electro almost industrial with unrelenting rhythms and huge germanic chord structures.

I'd ratre the night 4-1/2 stars out of possible 5 stars, maybe even pushing lawler's musical rating up to ****3/4.