Clubplanet Nightlife Community

My Mother makes a good point!!!! About Katrina reliefe

antifm

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

NEW YORK -- The New York Yankees and the NFL were among members of the sports community to assist victims of Hurricane Katrina, each donating $1 million to the American Red Cross.

Yankees owner George Steinbrenner said Wednesday the franchise was "heeding the President's call to help the people devastated by this hurricane in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama.

"This is one of America's greatest natural disasters and tragedies and it is the responsibility of the American public to step up and help those in need."

Commissioner Paul Tagliabue said the NFL is also working on other ways to aid the relief effort.

The contribution is in addition to efforts the league is taking to assist players whose families live in the area. The NFL also must decide how to deal with the New Orleans Saints, who are moving their base to San Antonio and almost surely will have to find a stadium other than the Superdome for home games.

There were a number of other charitable gestures by those in the sports world:

• The Dallas Stars contributed $10,000 to the local American Red Cross in New Orleans and is taking donations from fans

• Tennessee Titans quarterback Steve McNair teamed with Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre and arranged to fill a tractor-trailer with relief supplies bound for Mississippi on Wednesday. McNair also asked his fans to help him raise money for victims of Hurricane Katrina. McNair, who has a home near Favre's in Hattiesburg, Miss., is offering to swap an autographed photo for each minimum donation of $100 to his foundation.

• The Packers flew to Nashville, Tenn., on Wednesday for their final preseason game -- but only after loading the team airplane with generators and other emergency supplies to help the victims of the hurricane.

• Serena Williams announced she would donate $100 for every ace she has the rest of the year, beginning with her two in Wednesday night's second-round victory at the U.S. Open. Williams said she needs to find out which charity is doing the most good before deciding where to send her donations.

• The NBA players' association will help deliver supplies to the hardest hit areas.

• Chicago Bulls guard Chris Duhon, a native of Slidell, La., will work with the Federal Emergency Management Agency to try to get financial support, clothing and food.

• The University of Florida will give proceeds from its pay-per-view telecast against Wyoming on Saturday night -- $75,000 -- to the American Red Cross.

• Golden State Warriors guard Baron Davis, who played for the New Orleans Hornets for three years, donated $50,000 to the Red Cross' disaster relief fund.

• The Houston Astros will host a Hurricane Katrina Relief Drive at Minute Maid Park on Saturday and Sunday. They will assist the American Red Cross with their disaster relief fund-raising efforts and hold a blood drive in conjunction with the Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center.

• Houston Texans owner Bob McNair said that he will match donations up to $1 million given during the team's game against Tampa Bay. All donations will go to the American Red Cross. It is part of a partnership between the Texans, Infinity Broadcasting and Houston television station KTRK called the Texans Care Campaign.

theres more of his double talk again

cause just lastnight he said "The efforts involved to turn this around for a livable area again will take ...pause... A long time... pause.....wipe tear........YEARS."

So whats the deal president man? do we have it or dont we?

theres more of his double talk again

cause just lastnight he said "The efforts involved to turn this around for a livable area again will take ...pause... A long time... pause.....wipe tear........YEARS."

So whats the deal president man? do we have it or dont we?

are you actually trying to say something here? Because it doesn't make much sense.

Theese are just my personal thoughts....

This situation is horrible. That is beyond a doubt.

As far as foreign aid, what could we ask for? From who?

Is it realistic to ask the thrid world countries we've been helping for aid?

We have billions of dollars allocated for disasters just like this. The major problem is simply that we we're prepared for a disaster of this magnitude. Even given this, noone ever is. It's like trying to be prepared to be hit by a bus. No matter how much money or resources we have available, there is only but so humanly fast we can react and do the best we can to deal with it.

But we do have the money, we do have the resources and we simply don't need help from anyone else at this point.

The loss of property and life is sorrowful, for sure. But as a whole, we will deal with it the best humanly possible.

Theese are just my personal thoughts....

This situation is horrible. That is beyond a doubt.

As far as foreign aid, what could we ask for? From who?

Is it realistic to ask the thrid world countries we've been helping for aid?

There are other countries out there besides third world countries.

We have billions of dollars allocated for disasters just like this. The major problem is simply that we we're prepared for a disaster of this magnitude. Even given this, noone ever is. It's like trying to be prepared to be hit by a bus. No matter how much money or resources we have available, there is only but so humanly fast we can react and do the best we can to deal with it.

But we do have the money, we do have the resources and we simply don't need help from anyone else at this point.

The loss of property and life is sorrowful, for sure. But as a whole, we will deal with it the best humanly possible.

Not sure if you've noticed but we're spending a ton of money on the war in Iraq, giving money to virtually everyone, is it too much to ask that people in turn help us when we need it?

I am fully aware that there are other countries out there which are not third world countries. This is just to address the point of asking the people who we help, to help us.

"we're spending a ton of money on the war in Iraq, giving money to virtually everyone, is it too much to ask that people in turn help us when we need it?"

When you say "in turn", this is "in return". So is it too much to ask the people who we help, to in turn, help us?

I wouls say yes.

Again, who should be giving us what? We don't NEED money.

Should we be asking people to help us when we don't need it, simply because we have helped others who do?

I am fully aware that there are other countries out there which are not third world countries. This is just to address the point of asking the people who we help, to help us.

"we're spending a ton of money on the war in Iraq, giving money to virtually everyone, is it too much to ask that people in turn help us when we need it?"

When you say "in turn", this is "in return". So is it too much to ask the people who we help, to in turn, help us?

I wouls say yes.

Again, who should be giving us what? We don't NEED money.

Should we be asking people to help us when we don't need it, simply because we have helped others who do?

What makes you think we don't need it? Just because we have money doesn't mean that we have enough supplies on hand to deal with an entire city being wiped out.

Maybe we don't need money from people, but maybe we do need food, water, people to help us police the area and stop the looting/shooting at rescue workers...

SO im in the car with mom today and somethng sparked a comment from her about this whole hurricane issue.

The comment she made was "See?....did you notice that no other contries are doing or even offering to lend a hand with all assistance needed down south?"

Well i know i havent been folllowing to the letter what Bush has been saying or any official statments from the red cross and im sorry but im human and at times very selfish in my work so. appology exntended.

But is she right? Is it true no other contries are offering assistance?

Because the end of her statment was:

"And everyone thinks that americans think of themselves as the superior contry while at the same time we but into everyone elses problems, arms wide open and at times put other contries in a position where they HAVE to accept our help less they feel as if we wont be there for them when they next need it"

Is she right?

Your mother makes a good ham and cheese omlet. ;D

So why can't we ask people to help us!? You don't make sense either. You and antifm should get together sometime and play records for computerjockey.

are we still re-visiting the 8th grade here???

this would be almost amusing if i had an inkling to who you really were. i mean i wonder if i saw you on the floor what kind of impression i would have.

Is this Irina?

I don't think we need world wide relief efforts in this situation. I doubt other countries even know about the hurricane. We will be fine on our own.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all the families that are suffering from this

Of course other countries are aware of the hurricane. How stupid of a comment was that. I am sure some countries will donate some money for relief (aka GB, Saudi Arabia, etc). If nothing, but for publicity.

Is that what we're doing?

Talk the politics of life all you want. I can dig that. But your putdowns, no matter how clever you feel they are, are nothing more than those insults of a 8th grade bully beating up on the new kid. Karma usually comes back and makes that 'new' kid a hell of a lot more successful in life than that bully will ever be.