Clubplanet Nightlife Community

What it means to be "underground" (pacha related)

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So a dj/producer was asked to play pacha for a certain amount of money, and he refused cause pacha goes against his own agendas and is not underground. And b4 any nonsense gets said the dj/producer who was ask by erick morillo has been a long time associate of his since back in the soundfactory bar days (thats 21street for those who dont know) .

THATS CALLED KEEPING IT REAL.

but you follow DT and his parties aren't underground, so I guess he isn't keeping it real?

It was Danny Tenaglia , I Know about this Story....He even said " I don't like to play @ new venues"

It pissed Allot of people off

can't be Tenaglia because of the comment about it not being "underground" because certainly Crobar and Spirit where he does play are not what I would call those places.

Im back thanks for the concern nomembername. Only thing im gonna say is that no matter what happens im gonna go hear roger sanchez and danny tenaglia as much as i can and whereever they play. And im gonna hear the said dj/producer at other rooms like cielo/deep/avalon, where hes played recently, also listen to his prodcutions being made and played by djs all over the world. And seeing pictures of his parties in tokyo,italy,paris,london,.

Am i anti trance yes and no do i want it to go away nah not at all, do i like it NO. There was also a comment about sleepy time underground music or somethign like that. Theres a whole other harder underground scene just so you know. My preference is dance music that is under the 130bpm and not trance. Nor commercial cheese music, cause thats made on a formula that i dont like.

I dont view every dj that is making serious serious money as a bad thing. I just wanted to show that some djs/prodcuers, choose not to crossover and that should be admirable as wel, dont you think. Why is this becoming something against me or about certain djs.

so whats makes Avalon underground and Pacha not? :rolleyes:

:laugh::laugh: X 100 @mojamis

SilverBull...

I am begining to think you don't know as much as DT as you claim you did. You are saying he wants to stay underground. Whats your threory on DT playing in jersey at ABYSS and METRO when he did in the past. And no offense to the jersey crowd but thats pretty mainstream

Originally Posted by jamezzz

Here is the explanation it is from dts website in his own words I wanna see RICH WOODS behind the bar @ Pacha!

Kerri, will Pacha hire me as Music Director? LOL

* I hope everyone here realizes and knows that I am not against Pacha.

Eric Morillo is one of the owners and is a friend of mine. He is a talented DJ, label owner and a very smart business man. He gets my full respect and support.

So, I ask in advance to Eric, Kerri, Rob and all others involved to forgive us here in advance for any and all negative post that seem that they might BE anti PACHA or anti anything regarding the venue.

We are ALL desperate for another Vinyl / Arc and Pacha is just gonna be at the top of the list now for underground heads like us that are starving for a NON GLAM environment to BE ourselves in.

Eric has asked me to play an event there. I am flattered and I never close a door to opportunity. However, my reply remains that I am not inetersted at this time as I wish Pacha and everyone well. I just don't like doing clubs that are so brand new and I prefer to wait and see what will become of the room and hear the reviews. Ya know, every new biz needs to iron out many kinks and takes some time for the dust to settle.

So, I am HAPPY that NY will have another Dance Venue. The more the merrier.

For now, I'm happy doing the dates I will continue to do at Spirit & Crobar.

I have something I am planning on a smaller scale as well for a date, and we'll see how it goes? No, it will not be a weekly residency. SUAVE!

* It will not BE @ Cielo either. No disrespect to Cielo, I like Cielo, the owner and their policies. Much respect for their roster and attitude.

I just don't think it's for me. We had a great time that one time, but I would be lying if I said it was great for me inside that miniscule DJ booth!

When your hand is on top of the light-man's hand while mixing something ain't right? The light guy has one foot in the booth and one outside? That's how small the booth is? Not much room for many records or CD books, etc.

No, I don't need the Grandest DJ Booths, but I'm sorry ...

Cielo gets a "10 out of 10" in everything they are about musically, etc.

On a scale of 1-10 for DJ booth, monitors, lightman area and comfort,

I only give them a (4) FOUR! (sorry) ...

After 30 years of doing this, I am not about to go in REVERSE!

I don't need the booth that Arc/Vinyl had either. A 7 out of 10 will do!

* this is not meant to be an anti Cielo post in any way! They get my full support and respect. The reason I just wrote all of this is because I get SOOOO many e-mail's suggesting that I play there and it's often mentioned on this board and I never replied ... until now. Please take it lightly.

In my VERY humble opinion, the DJ booth is extremely behind and I feel Cielo could and should do much better!

All my best to every club in NY and beyond. We're all in this together!

------------------------------------------------------------------->

It takes "courage" to grow up and turn out to BE who you really are.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by dt : 09 Nov-05 at 08:55 PM.

Originally Posted by jamezzz

Here is the explanation it is from dts website in his own words I wanna see RICH WOODS behind the bar @ Pacha!

When your hand is on top of the light-man's hand while mixing something ain't right? The light guy has one foot in the booth and one outside? That's how small the booth is? Not much room for many records or CD books, etc.

Last edited by dt : 09 Nov-05 at 08:55 PM.

CD books.......?

yea thats keeping it real

So a dj/producer was asked to play pacha for a certain amount of money, and he refused cause pacha goes against his own agendas and is not underground. And b4 any nonsense gets said the dj/producer who was ask by erick morillo has been a long time associate of his since back in the soundfactory bar days (thats 21street for those who dont know) .

THATS CALLED KEEPING IT REAL.

uh dude i hate to break it to you but the word 'underground' when associated with electronic music doesnt exist anymore. As a matter of fact it hasnt existed since the mid 90's. Finding websites that contain rave/club information is not underground, being able to buy tickets from ticket master is not underground, hearing an electronic music track on a commercial is not underground. To top it off a dj getting paid 10k to spin a set isnt underground either. So that dj/producer needs to check himself

nothing on Clubplanet will and can ever be considered underground... go to a rave and youll see what underground is about... and no, contrary to popular belief, its not 99% trance and hardstyle... i have heard some of the best house, tribal, discohouse, progressive, breaks, etc. at raves and its blew my mind as to how Crobar doesnt book some of these DJs... ive played 3 raves in the past year, and the DJs ive met are all as talented as can be, and as into the scene and down-to-earth that a DJ in 2005 can be.

UM.,. THE RAVE SCENE IS ANYTHING BUT UNDERGROUND ANYMORE. IT HASN'T BEEN UNDERGROUND FOR YEARS AND YEARS. I WAS THERE. ITS DEAD. BEATEN TO A BLOODY PULP. WE CAN THANK GULIANI FOR THAT. AND BUDDY, THERE IS NO STYLE CALLED "HARDSTYLE". NEVER WAS. COULD YOU BE REFERRING TO HARDKORE? WHO SKOOLED YOU?

I WONT DENYTHAT I HAD SOME OF THE BEST TIMES OF MY LIFE AT RAVES, BACK WHEN THEY EXISTED. BUT ITS DEAD. ITS BEEN DEAD. THERE ARE A FEW HEADS OUT THERE HOLDING ON TO SOMETHING THAT THEY JUST CANT RESUCITATE.

AND AS FAR AS THE USUAL HATERS ON THE BOARD, GROW UP GUYS. WILL YOU EVER GET SICK OF PICKING ON GABE? JUST BECAUSE YOU DON'T LIKE WHAT HE SAYS OR HOW HE SAYS IT DOESNT MEAN ITS WRONG, JUST DIFFERENT (A LITTLE WORD OF ADVICE I LEARNED IN EUROPE. IT MIGHT DO SOME OF YOU SOME GOOD TO THINK ABOUT THAT AND STOP BEING SO GODDAMN ARROGANT)

uh dude i hate to break it to you but the word 'underground' when associated with electronic music doesnt exist anymore. As a matter of fact it hasnt existed since the mid 90's. Finding websites that contain rave/club information is not underground, being able to buy tickets from ticket master is not underground, hearing an electronic music track on a commercial is not underground. To top it off a dj getting paid 10k to spin a set isnt underground either. So that dj/producer needs to check himself

First off, the underground DOES still exist, and you OBVIOUSLY don't know about it. Just because electronic music has become more mainstream doesn't mean that anything having to do with that particular genre of music is no longer underground.

House still has a strong underground following. Just because you can buy PVD tickets on Ticketmaster doesnt mean that all electronic music is mainstream.

Danny started underground, and he has always been a fixture of it, even if he does get paid rediculous amounts of money to spin for a night. More than 10k, for sure. I think last I heard it was more like 30, but I might very well be mistaken. And jsut because he plays to bigger crowds now doesnt mean he doesnt have that underground following.

no offense but that's a terrible guess...Krivit's crowd isn't anywhere remotely close to what pacha is trying to pull with their image, music or whatever else IN NYC that is... he might fit the bill for something at the other pacha clubs around the world...but right now it's sadly about money and how much money you can bring in... krivit is quality not $$

none taken. i based my guess on the fact that he mentioned deep/avalon & cielo because Krivit has played at those places within the past year or so.

First off, the underground DOES still exist, and you OBVIOUSLY don't know about it. Just because electronic music has become more mainstream doesn't mean that anything having to do with that particular genre of music is no longer underground.

House still has a strong underground following. Just because you can buy PVD tickets on Ticketmaster doesnt mean that all electronic music is mainstream.

Danny started underground, and he has always been a fixture of it, even if he does get paid rediculous amounts of money to spin for a night. More than 10k, for sure. I think last I heard it was more like 30, but I might very well be mistaken. And jsut because he plays to bigger crowds now doesnt mean he doesnt have that underground following.

yeah there maybe little parties at holes in the wall clubs in nyc still. But hunnie, like i said there is no underground when it comes to this scene. It was overexposed many many years ago.

its not krivit nor tenaglia at all. So please stop guessing cause its not those. Underground exist in nyc and im not talking bout avalon,crobar,spirit, pacha,etc. Anyhow this has nothing to do with who or what is underground. What i meant by "keeping it real" was this guys priorities, declining a shit load of money based on what his beliefs are. Whats the big deal, not even the peeps over at pacha are this wurked up about it, so why are ya.

mikey, relax. let it go. so what if ur not industry? why do u let it bother you?

and as far as mr growinupjersey is concerned, there are plenty of really nice little clubs in new york that have world-class dj's coming through on a nightly basis who choose the smaller venues because its about the music. maybe if you went somewhere other than crobar you would dig it and would have some real thought to put into your comment before you go posting on here like you know it all.

its not krivit nor tenaglia at all. So please stop guessing cause its not those. Underground exist in nyc and im not talking bout avalon,crobar,spirit, pacha,etc. Anyhow this has nothing to do with who or what is underground. What i meant by "keeping it real" was this guys priorities, declining a shit load of money based on what his beliefs are. Whats the big deal, not even the peeps over at pacha are this wurked up about it, so why are ya.

I'm so tired of your shit, it's not even funny anymore