Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Dj-P stays @ slide & studio 54 (New Contract)

marcblemberg

Perhaps you don't realize that "DJ" is short for Disc Jockey, a term that's been around since the 1940s, and has always meant simply "an individual who plays pre-recorded music for the enjoyment of others."

Thank you...for clearing the term D.J. for me. Like I didn't know. But once again, we are talking about DJ in terms of how clubs DJs are evolved from the underground hip-hop scene.

We all know what you're trying to convey. Not only do we get it, but we agree with it. Masterweb and others are not battle DJs, they're not vinyl jugglers, they're not going to the far corners of their record collection to entertain the crowd with unique track selections.

Once again, thank you for clearing that up me. Because I didnt see any posts from you or any body else that agrees with me. But it seems like you agree, so thank you and I appreciate you taking your time listening to me. Masterweb is not a battle DJ because he doesn't want to try. Because it takes a lot to be a battle DJ. Masterweb dosent go far end of his MP3 collections to entertain the kind of crowd that OPM caters to, thats because he doesn't need to. It doesn't take a lot to entertain the radio crowd.

Perhaps you don't get the fact that OPM (and others) refer to what they offer as "hip-hop" simply because that's what the clubgoers, musicians, and industry call "hip-hop". Right or wrong, it's reality. Especially in Vegas.

Read my other posts under the subject line of "Bottom line". I know that OPM refers to hip-hop because it has became the standard term to describe the music that usually plays on the radio.

This is a community message board, based around the concept that the vast majority of people here support everyone's efforts related to nightclubs. Whether that's as a promoter, host, server, clubgoer or a CD-playing DJ, the simple fact is that we all are passionate about nightlife.

I can't denied that fact that you are passionate about nightlife, and if you haven't noticed as do I. But what I am trying to convey to the community is to distinguish the difference of hip-hop music and hip-hop culture. OPM is based on RAP music, also referred as "hip-hop", a commadity in our pop culture. What Mr. Freeze is offering to the nightlife scene is what hip-hop is really about. And back your other argument of saying Masterweb can cut and scratch, and layer...I say he can too, but I don't think he is a "true" DJ. He is just one step above wedding djs that knows the hit songs to play and knows how to push button on CD players. He his knowledge of music only extends to the limits of his CD collection. A true dj would spend hours of research and digging of old records which expand his/her knowledge of music.

Doesn't matter what kind of music someone plays, doesn't matter what crowd they cater to. We respect each other because we understand we're all part of the scene in one way or another.

We're just sick and tired of people coming into this community and trying to tear it down for no reason other than personal issues.

How was I tearing it down? I see things the way it is. OPM is a club solely based on radio hits and it doesn't extend any deeper than that. However, they are the ones saying this is Hip-hop. I like to let the community know the different of the music and the culture. I am not talking down upon OPM. Some times I like to go to a club and just listen to all the radio hits and get a little tipsy and have fun. That's fine...it's all good. My point is to have people know the difference and maybe wanting to expand their knowledge a little bit more than the top 40 songs they hear over and over again on the radio.

Again...like I said before, I am willing to teach if you are willing to be taught. But then again I can't teach a blind person to see. I can only describe it so much, and the rest is up to your interpretation.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But this CD webmaster is just an A-- H--- he goes to othere club asks for discounts on bottleshas no shame doent tips maybe 3%

You are incompetent. He didn't ask for a discount. Studio offers a free bottle for every bottle purchased by industry on Tuesdays. It doesn't make someone an asshole to support another club's promotion. You should try that sometime, supporting the people around you, and while you're at it, don't make up numbers about tips too. You are full of hate and jealousy. That's much more sickening than ads about Lil Jon.

Jesus what is up with all this HATING! Vegasbabie, I don't even know who you are, nor do I dislike you on a personal level. But this whole shpiel is completely inaccurate. I *do* have massive passion about music. I just love *new* music, especially regional music. I'm often criticized for playing too much new music in the club. I think it's a dj's duty to break new music that will eventually have a chance at mass popularity. I'm always looking to improve and learn new ways to wow the crowd. But this shouldn't even be about me. I respect the past, I just don't respect people who act like their past disqualifies today's present. I respect Kid Capri when he guest djs. And I'm also the one fielding the complaints when regulars want to know why Kid's only Bay record is Hyphy and then he mixes it into a Notorious B.I.G. or something else. Does that mean he's a bad dj? No way! But I have gone out and bought him the essential bay vinyl so he can expand his regional library. I did that out of respect and love. Does any of this mean we all have different strengths and weaknesses? Hell yes. We're all trying to work together to bring a great scene in Vegas. I'm really getting tired of this NEVERENDING attack, especially since all we do is attract a bigger crowd each and every month. It's OK to disagree. But HATING is going too far in my opinion.

Thank you...for clearing the term D.J. for me. Like I didn't know. But once again, we are talking about DJ in terms of how clubs DJs are evolved from the underground hip-hop scene.

Once again, thank you for clearing that up me. Because I didnt see any posts from you or any body else that agrees with me. But it seems like you agree, so thank you and I appreciate you taking your time listening to me. Masterweb is not a battle DJ because he doesn't want to try. Because it takes a lot to be a battle DJ. Masterweb dosent go far end of his MP3 collections to entertain the kind of crowd that OPM caters to, thats because he doesn't need to. It doesn't take a lot to entertain the radio crowd.

Read my other posts under the subject line of "Bottom line". I know that OPM refers to hip-hop because it has became the standard term to describe the music that usually plays on the radio.

I can't denied that fact that you are passionate about nightlife, and if you haven't noticed as do I. But what I am trying to convey to the community is to distinguish the difference of hip-hop music and hip-hop culture. OPM is based on RAP music, also referred as "hip-hop", a commadity in our pop culture. What Mr. Freeze is offering to the nightlife scene is what hip-hop is really about. And back your other argument of saying Masterweb can cut and scratch, and layer...I say he can too, but I don't think he is a "true" DJ. He is just one step above wedding djs that knows the hit songs to play and knows how to push button on CD players. He his knowledge of music only extends to the limits of his CD collection. A true dj would spend hours of research and digging of old records which expand his/her knowledge of music.

How was I tearing it down? I see things the way it is. OPM is a club solely based on radio hits and it doesn't extend any deeper than that. However, they are the ones saying this is Hip-hop. I like to let the community know the different of the music and the culture. I am not talking down upon OPM. Some times I like to go to a club and just listen to all the radio hits and get a little tipsy and have fun. That's fine...it's all good. My point is to have people know the difference and maybe wanting to expand their knowledge a little bit more than the top 40 songs they hear over and over again on the radio.

Again...like I said before, I am willing to teach if you are willing to be taught. But then again I can't teach a blind person to see. I can only describe it so much, and the rest is up to your interpretation.

But what I am trying to convey to the community is to distinguish the difference of hip-hop music and hip-hop culture.

Might I recommend leading by positive example rather than negative, personal attacks?

As great as Slide Sundays might be, there are countless people on this board -- especially those "lurkers" who only pop in to see what others are saying about Vegas clubs -- who have been entirely turned off from giving it a try. Similarly, regulars aren't exactly jumping at the opportunity to recommend the event.

To his credit, Freeze has personally invited many regulars on this board to come check out his event, also offering to make sure people are taken care of when they arrive. Unfortunately, these efforts are largely overshadowed by the negative approach taken towards other clubs, DJs and clubgoers.

With the increasing popularity of guys like P, Z-Trip, AM, Cut Chemist and Shadow, certainly there's a growing interest among the public to catch that kind of DJ in a club, let alone the addition of other elements that make up the "true" or "complete" hip-hop scene. Throw that in with the growing popularity of acts like J5, Blackalicious, Mos Def, and Talib Kweli (like you said, tracks that you rarely hear in Vegas clubs), and certainly among such a big nightlife market in Vegas there's gotta be room for more nights that resemble Slide Sundays.

But the reality is that someone who starts looking around at clubs doesn't hear about DJ P throwing down a mad set, they don't hear that he's mixing up funk, soul, rap and rock from every corner of the last 35 years. Instead, they hear the promoter of this whining, complaining and finger-pointing at other clubs... the same clubs that the majority of clubgoers have an incredible time at.

I appreciate that you're motivation in this discussion is somewhat different that that of Freeze. However please consider that positive promotion is always going to get you a lot farther than negative slams.

If you truly want to educate people, don't tell them that a certain DJ sucks, or cheats, is fake, or has no clue about music. Especially not when he's someone that's respected and enjoyed by the public. Instead, encourage someone to check out someone that you like and respect that much more -- and let them make up their own minds.

AMEN!!!

Also, according to The Hip Hop Film Festival, UCLA Working Group on Hip-hop Studies, UCLA Departments of Ethnomusicology and Musicology, and J.U.I.C.E. (Justice by Uniting In Creative Energy), a non-profit Hip-hop community center....

"The real values of hip-hop: Knowledge, Wisdom, Understanding, Freedom, Justice, Equality, Respect, Unity, Love, and Peace."

You'll notice they don't ONLY focus on breakdancers, graffiti, vinyl turntablism, etc. If you want to celebrate true hip-hop culture, do not ignore the full human side of the culture. It's not JUST about the battle, the forefathers or the technicalities.

AMEN!!!

Also, according to The Hip Hop Film Festival, UCLA Working Group on Hip-hop Studies, UCLA Departments of Ethnomusicology and Musicology, and J.U.I.C.E. (Justice by Uniting In Creative Energy), a non-profit Hip-hop community center....

"The real values of hip-hop: Knowledge, Wisdom, Understanding, Freedom, Justice, Equality, Respect, Unity, Love, and Peace."

You'll notice they don't ONLY focus on breakdancers, graffiti, vinyl turntablism, etc. If you want to celebrate true hip-hop culture, do not ignore the full human side of the culture. It's not JUST about the battle, the forefathers or the technicalities.

Who cares what UCLA says.

Besides the words you or they quoted were of Africa Bambattaa of the Universal Zulu Nation, witch I happen to be a Zulu King from south Bronx Chapter 3, but you don't know anything about that or Hip hop.

Because your a Fake a wannabe that will never be anything but wishing he was down.

Ill post the Zulu award that Africa bambaataa awarded me for pure dedicated to the hip hop nation SOON...so you can take a look at it Looser...

PS It's all about the battle stupid...

DJ's Battle to be the best...

MC "S. Battle each other...

B, Boys battle

Graff writers battle to be all city,or the best... are you serious about your post? or just stupid?

This culture always was and always will be about the battle...

You are really have no place in this culture. please keep posting so everyone can see how off you are.

Mr freeze

Rcok steady crew

OMG if your two reactions could tell a story any more clearly you would have to give a play by play of your bedroom games. So how long have you been "dating" :)[/quote The real question is are you still eating apple's of your boy friends back.

You liitle apple eating slut.

Mr freeze

Rock steady Crew