Clubplanet Nightlife Community

I think i met the worse promoters ever

Damn a few days ago i met these 2 "promoters" who really annoyed the shit out of me. To me this is whats wrong with the industry.

SCENERIO 1:

Talking to this guy and hes like "wurd i know your face and stuff so your cool and i can talk to you"(???wtf) I asked him what does he think of sucj and suck djs and parties and even the party he was involved with. Hes like i dont give a shit who these djs are and i dont know thier names. I just wanna bring in heads get paid and hopefully get laid. Im like so you dont care that such and such dj ios palying here tonite. Hes like wurd its a dude i thought it was a girl and no i dont care owners gonna pay me anyway.

Does anybody else see anytig wrong with this picture,

SCENERIO 2:

Met another promoter a few hrs later lol and she was like yeah man im trying to get this dj to play and stuff and we had such and such b4. Im like wow you must really be a fan and support their parties when theyt play someplace else. She was like nah i dont go hear these guys but i read and hear good things so figured why not have them play.

SIGH, is this what this industry is like? People working with no passion or ideas or knowledge about certain djs and the scene and just doing it as a job.

Scenario 1 is just plainly fucked up. but scenario 2 is a little more acceptable. now a days there are a lot of new promoters in the game, and i'm pretty sure they haven't heard every single dj who's hot right now.(i still think they should buy their cds if this promoter is planning on booking the dj.)

when i first started promoting was back in 97. i started with teen nights then jumped right into Hunka Bunka which was in sayreville, NJ. i worked there for two years. i knew our residents well including richie santana who did heat fridays. but as far as the guest djs we had, i really didnt know much about them until a few years later. but i still promoted my ass off for these guys not just to make an extra few bucks but because people loved these guys and i knew it would be a sick night. so once they all came and spun i got to know who these guests djs were and began to be a fan of there sets. including eddie baez, sal parm, denny tsettos, richie santana, boris, johnny vicious etc.

so yea there are alot of promoters that dont give a shit about who is who but they are probally some new promoters that just got into the game like i did when i started in the industry.

jack Z

I hear what your saying man, this whole scene used to be filled with people w/ passion. There was always promoters out there who were willing to take a hit and werent afraid of not breaking even on a party. Also it all depends on where you were when you spoke to these promoters .... if you were at DUVET, MARQUE, BUTTER, or whatever ... then expect to have that type of people involved, because usually a number of their patrons have the same mentallity ..

its unfair though when people judge a venue on the patrons ... use of course there are always going to be the "DREADED B & T" crowd, but whatever, if anything they bring in the revenue to places that are at least offering good talent .. just my 2 cents

wow

did you get their names....put um on blast...

I started in this industry as a fluke., with a oppurtunity to hook a friend up with a DJ gig and get his name out there...(louie corrales) ...it took off and we have always tried to maintain our integrity for the "party" ( yeah yeah I know it sounds corny, but if you knew me then you understand)

i have a great day job, this is just gravy, so I never let it drive me or control me, I have turned down parties cause I just thought the dj's were not what I liked and knew my people would not enjoy it, I could have easily taken the money and ran, but to me it is not worth it in the long run.......

it is a business, and I do take it serious, and there is a unbelievable amount of money to be made if done correctly.....but rest assure these promoters who were speaking to ...will not last a year with that attitude..

they will be doing Hip hop parties at exit in no time.....

promoters are a waste of DNA and just fuck people over when they get the chance. ive met a couple of good ones in my time but those are far from none now.

never believe a word they say cause its probably a lie anyway. they think they clubs are theres when, ITS NOT so, stop acting like it is.

just a tip for promoters: stick to your word and deliver what you promise!

it also has a lot to do with the genre of music. for instance and house/ trance parties the club makes FAR less money on liquor (b/c of drug use among other things) than clubs or lounges that play hip hop...so promoters who do house/ trance parties rely more on admission which at clubs these days can get really expensive. getting people to pay 20- even 60 bucks is a lot harder, which makes their job harder in my opinion.. it's great if you can make money and be passioned about the party but not everyone gets lucky like that...but yea promoters in general i have found to be scumbags lately these days

i tell you this much anythign i put my name behind or say that is good or that im working with. Is done because i actually believe in such and such djs anbd the concept behind the parites or venues. And i dont even get paid for the parties i post about, its called LOVE.

it also has a lot to do with the genre of music. for instance and house/ trance parties the club makes FAR less money on liquor (b/c of drug use among other things) than clubs or lounges that play hip hop...so promoters who do house/ trance parties rely more on admission which at clubs these days can get really expensive. getting people to pay 20- even 60 bucks is a lot harder, which makes their job harder in my opinion.. it's great if you can make money and be passioned about the party but not everyone gets lucky like that...but yea promoters in general i have found to be scumbags lately these days

yeah its hard with house...

this party at opus we started ...10 cover and shit (nothing to get rich over) ... we packed it out ..but the bar did not ring nearly as much as expected or hoped for ...and to me that dont matter cause the party was great, the vibe was awesome...everyone had a great time.

but at the same time i got to keep the club owner happy or no more party...vibe does not pay bills or dj's unfortunately

at least you understand that ...most of these people who hate on promoters...dont have a ounce of understanding of the business side of things...it is not all partying ...

the best is when dj's trash promoters....most would not get anywhere if it was not for a promoter giving them a shot........they need each other IMO..

dj's should worry about music only and not packing a room ...that is the promoters job....but of course promoters will use dj's with a following ....cause that is just common sense...but the downside is alot of talent goes undiscovered if not given the shot...

I have given lots of locals a shot at some of my parties cause I know the room will pack on it's own (spider for expample), and the payoff has been discovering some young talent that is def going to make some noise in a few years...

everyone starts off somewhere.....

i tell you this much anythign i put my name behind or say that is good or that im working with. Is done because i actually believe in such and such djs anbd the concept behind the parites or venues. And i dont even get paid for the parties i post about, its called LOVE.

i agre..which is why you see me using the same dj's at my parties...they are people that I believe in ...and love their music and if I can pack a room for them ...it is worth all my time.....and even if I lose money on one party...there is always more to be made..

Damn a few days ago i met these 2 "promoters" who really annoyed the shit out of me. To me this is whats wrong with the industry.

SCENERIO 1:

Talking to this guy and hes like "wurd i know your face and stuff so your cool and i can talk to you"(???wtf) I asked him what does he think of sucj and suck djs and parties and even the party he was involved with. Hes like i dont give a shit who these djs are and i dont know thier names. I just wanna bring in heads get paid and hopefully get laid. Im like so you dont care that such and such dj ios palying here tonite. Hes like wurd its a dude i thought it was a girl and no i dont care owners gonna pay me anyway.

SCENERIO 2:

Met another promoter a few hrs later lol and she was like yeah man im trying to get this dj to play and stuff and we had such and such b4. Im like wow you must really be a fan and support their parties when theyt play someplace else. She was like nah i dont go hear these guys but i read and hear good things so figured why not have them play.

SIGH, is this what this industry is like? People working with no passion or ideas or knowledge about certain djs and the scene and just doing it as a job.

what wrong with them? they are promoters and their job is to promote parties and make money.. plain and simple.. you seriously need to stop going on these crusades for house music and take it for what it is.. you also need to stop associating your "pleasure" with other peoples' "business".. as long you enjoy the scene - who cares what other people do..

and whoever said that there was more passion in the past is wrong.. the majority of people are about money and its always been like that

SCENERIO 1:

SCENERIO 2:

Dude i hear you, sometimes promoters will only do big names and not even support local dj's even if this local dj's works for them and stuff. Alot of promoters out there are so blind and so dumb about the scene. Actually also i got a couple of so called frineds that I know that will only see big name dj's and not support my parties.

Actually also i got a couple of so called frineds that I know that will only see big name dj's and not support my parties.

Thats cause some people cant look past the obvious big room big dj. But luckily some do and then realized wait a sec theres more to the club scene then what i thought.

you also gotta keep in mind (i dont know which club these promoters are from) but some clubs in New York try to maintain a mainly house lineup of DJs while also providing the trance and tech DJ here and there.... sure many of the members of management probably dont like any of the trance or tech artists but do it because people will come and the club is keeping nice variation in its lineup.... but youre right, the guy in scenario one sounds like a soulless dick and theres a million people that would wish to be in his spot (if you mean promoting, as in, not just running a guestlist but actually coordinating the events)

Thats cause some people cant look past the obvious big room big dj. But luckily some do and then realized wait a sec theres more to the club scene then what i thought.
big room djs are big room cause they bring in a big room.. and that means money

for some people its just a business.. just accept it

:rolleyes:

promoting a big name dj isnt exactly "anything"

i understand where all of you are coming from.. but try to take the viewpoint of an outsider who doesnt care for house music and clubbing, and it makes perfect sense

i see what your saying. it does make sense but it just sucks.

anyone selling any pills???

that is another thing that is wrong with the scene...IMO this is just as bad as these so called "promoters"...can't you just go out and enjoy the music and vibe without having to take something to make you have a better time. then we got all these crackheads who can't handle their shit and end up falling on a table from the balcony. fucking idiots

that is another thing that is wrong with the scene...IMO this is just as bad as these so called "promoters"...can't you just go out and enjoy the music and vibe without having to take something to make you have a better time. then we got all these crackheads who can't handle their shit and end up falling on a table from the balcony. fucking idiots

i agree...just give me your pills...i can handle tons :)

and i only go out to do drugs (or i should say i used to)

thanx

vsoto

SCENERIO 1:

SCENERIO 2:

I hear what your saying, and this is my whole take on it.

if there is so much talent out there, why is no music coming out of NY any more like it was 10 years ago?

where are the next DJ/Producers like junior vasquez, Jonny viscious, Jonathan Peters, ect,ect? These guys made there own music and played it at their clubs, and thats what made them all the more interesting. Its not like that anymore.

NY use to be known for its sound, its original artist, DJ/Producers, but I dont see anyone really making moves... sure I hear alot of DJ names and party names being thrown around, and most of the times its the promoters doing it....

but I dont see any word of mouth, like "yo, did you hear DJ so and so's new track he played at the club?"

or "DJ's so and so mix of so and so is fire"

this is how it was back 10 years ago, and its lacking now. Its like the next generation doesn't really want to put time in, or do anything, just make a quick buck and be out.

what is obvious out of your 2 scenario's is simple, the promoters that you talked to have NO IDEA of the actual music industry, or have any idea of actual talent. They hear a DJ name, and say "hey he could make me some money" but never heard one track they produced, never heard them live, just want to bring them in to bring in numbers.

there is a rule, its called rule #4080

record company people are shady

as someone who works in the industry, I will tell you how many talented people send demo's to the record companies, and they all go in the trash.

because just like promoters, the label exec's have no idea about talent, and only care about sound scan. In the end, what we have is the same songs being played on the radio, or the same DJ's over and over again.

everything is stale these days, back the the 80's radio was better.