Clubplanet Nightlife Community

DJs talking on the Mic

Ok, so I know DT started to chit-chat on the mic back at Vinyl when he felt he needed to educate the new kids or something. Personally, I was like 'wtf?! shut up and let us enjoy the music!' ; and so were most of my friends.

Apparently Morillo's also doing this, but his thing is apparently to announce phases in his set ...

So:

1. Is there any precedence to this annoying art of 'the dj who needs to talk on the mic' or is DT the guilty trend setter?

2. Does any other DJ do that so I can avoid it next time I go out?

3. This shit has to stop!

I can understand that a DJ wants to connect with the crowd in a few different ways, but morillo is just out of control with it. He says pointless things to make up from the lack of vibe he is setting during his weak sets.

Danny tenaglia can keep doing what he is doing it doesnt bother me 1 drop. The guy is an insane DJ and will set a crazy vibe no matter what.

Ok, so I know DT started to chit-chat on the mic back at Vinyl when he felt he needed to educate the new kids or something. Personally, I was like 'wtf?! shut up and let us enjoy the music!' ; and so were most of my friends.

Apparently Morillo's also doing this, but his thing is apparently to announce phases in his set ...

So:

1. Is there any precedence to this annoying art of 'the dj who needs to talk on the mic' or is DT the guilty trend setter?

agree

I don't mind if they have something good to say. Like talking about up coming projects there working on, up coming parties but not an all night ramble. As much as I USED TO like Tenaglia, his rant and rules at times were a little annyoing. Sometimes I think he forgot that the 1500+ people every week @ Vinyl were putting money in his wallet!

So:

yeah whats the deal with the phases??? I know KTU has been doing the "phases" for awhile on there sat. night dance party they have. I just dont see how we need that inside a club.

Only person i really enjoy hearing on the mic before there set is Frankie Bones. Other then that i dont need to hear a dj speak throughout his set. That shit P.Diddy was doing was ok, different, but did get anoying after awhile. I dont need to hear him say his name 30 times. The night is not about him, he wants to pull that shit, go back to producing hip hop. Im telling Suge Knight

Last year when morillo had pdiddy with those live performances.. omg that shit was the worst.

i actually dont mind danny when he does talk, its actually either funny or like you said educational. but then again danny would leave a track on and walk around the floor and bs with you, i dont think ive ever even heard of morillo doing that.

i cant think of anyone else that will have a conversation on the mic.

before starting going to arc ... i was hearing stories about danny talking on the mic and i was like wtf... that shit seemed so catering hall dj behavior

but then i came and witnessed the man himself and the music he played was PHENOMENAL to say the least.... that club, that vibe, that sound system... it was like a perfect armony...aahhhhh the memories

i wasnt bothered by him talking on the mic because he wouldnt ABUSE it .. he would just reveal the name of a song or comment about something.... sometimes a dj will drop a BOMB and you would kill for him to come on the mic and tell you the name, artist and remixer...danny would do that....

u wont hear danny say some bullshit like : wassup people?? hows everyone doing?? once again a shout out to ray ray and big steve.. album in stores november 24th..

i love it when i go to his parties and around 5ish 6ish he comes on telling everybody to get ready cuz the party is just getting started... thats how u know he's about to get evil.

i love when tenaglia does it, he explaines the song what year it came out and all that i have not been in the game for as long as some people so, i like to learn whats going on. ANd becides even if u dont like his talking he makes up for it by droping bomb after bomb. I LOVE U DT

i hate when DJs use the mic...

i can stand DT using it once in a while - its cool - i'm actually used to it by now... (when he sang along to depeche mode's "i feel love" back in arc LOL! - i thought that shit was hot!)...

eric morillo this weekend - well - it was the man's b'day - so whatever... its cool... but if he continues using it like DT though - its gonna be pretty damn annoying...

but when p-diddy starts talking on the mic - you're really pushing it - get the fuck out!!!

i talk on the mic if there is something good to say, not to fill up space.

i don't mind hearing others do it if there is point to it.

talking on the mic is nothing new (hello, hip-hop?) it's not new to dance music either, it's just not many have done it much other than tenaglia in recent years.

Oh, and the BEST phase of Morillo's birthday party HAD to be when everyone got two shots of tequila on behalf of him and Pacha when the bar reopened at 8! Who can have an issue with that?

Yeah it was a nice thought.

Diddy SHUT UP. Thank God the music did not stop much for his vibe ruining babble.

Oh, and the BEST phase of Morillo's birthday party HAD to be when everyone got two shots of tequila on behalf of him and Pacha when the bar reopened at 8! Who can have an issue with that?

Nice gesture, but they should've warned people that free tequila was coming. What if people drank vodka all night? After people mix tequila with vodka, they start threads here about how hungover they are, that alcohol is evil, they'll never drink again and they are switching to weed and eX.

Nice gesture, but they should've warned people that free tequila was coming. What if people drank vodka all night? After people mix tequila with vodka, they start threads here about how hungover they are, that alcohol is evil, they'll never drink again and they are switching to weed and eX.

wow...

he did the same at Crobar a while back...made him my favorite dj EVER and I couldn't even hear the music that night

there are only 2 acceptable things to say on a Mic if you are a DJ and care about the crowd.

1) the police are rading the place ditch yo shit.

2) the building is on fire please use the emergency exits quickly.

other than that i believe a DJ should amp the crowd by the music he/she plays. I never even notice if there is even a mic on the booth.

What if people were doing G all night and then he offered that, knowing you shouldn't drink while taking that? What an inconsiderate asshole.

Guest onisakura
What if people were doing G all night and then he offered that, knowing you shouldn't drink while taking that? What an inconsiderate asshole.

The first time i heard DT talking on the mic was at the old space about 3 years ago. It was about 4pm and he started playing all kinds of random shit, Air Supply, Donna Summers, The Police, Pink Floyd......then he started fucking with Security: "Ok everyone this is the last song.....but how about one more!" I thought it was hysterical and it really made it more intimate. My favorite part was when he yelled at a friend of mine that was on his cell phone.."Diego, what did i tell you? No cell phones!". It was too funny.

Morillo and Puffy last year: i wanted to SHOOT them.