Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Ct Clubs Suck!!!

drama aside....

i wouldnt make the gross generalization that new haven music sucks....esp on this board. come ck out party at 215 THEN make that comment. if you think it sucks, come and tell me personally...im there almost every wk (along with the rest of our regulars).

960 is a great club as well. this past friday was a GREAT party. im proud to say jon silverio and i will be there this friday the 28th and plan on destroying that room.

everyone is a hater. most people love to flex their keybrd muscles and stay in on sat nites ripping it sick on their computers. i dont mean to come across as a dick, but its obvious that house music events in ct, are an uphill battle compared to nyc (duh).

if you dont like ct clubs, go to nyc clubs - theyre just an hour away.

n

I used to live in Middletown (between 2001 and 2003). Every Friday I drove into NYC just to go hear Danny Tenaglia at Vinyl (later ARC). It was the party that kept me sane for 2 years living in New England.

In New Haven, I used to go to Lounge 216. There were 2 djs that spun on a regular basis (weekly) that I enjoyed listening to: Kered (Fridays) and Brian Carter (Saturdays). I haven't kept in touch with them so I don't know if they still live and/or spin in New Haven. Kered also spun at Neat (on Crown St. just a block before Alchemy and the parking garage). Across from Lounge 216 on Crown St., there was a place called Funktion that had really good house music.

Then I remember an afterhours club in Hartford called System and another one called Vibe (I think it was just off Asylum Ave.). I'm sure those aren't around anymore. :D

I used to live in Middletown (between 2001 and 2003). Every Friday I drove into NYC just to go hear Danny Tenaglia at Vinyl (later ARC). It was the party that kept me sane for 2 years living in New England.

In New Haven, I used to go to Lounge 216. There were 2 djs that spun on a regular basis (weekly) that I enjoyed listening to: Kered (Fridays) and Brian Carter (Saturdays). I haven't kept in touch with them so I don't know if they still live and/or spin in New Haven. Kered also spun at Neat (on Crown St. just a block before Alchemy and the parking garage). Across from Lounge 216 on Crown St., there was a place called Funktion that had really good house music.

Then I remember an afterhours club in Hartford called System and another one called Vibe (I think it was just off Asylum Ave.). I'm sure those aren't around anymore. :D

You made the right move to Miami! Funktion has turned over names, it's now called "Oracle". Neat is still around but their theme is kind of pop/rock/hiphop. Club Vibe was my first afterhours experience. It was at 36 Lewis St. in Hartford (if I remember correctly). That's when I first saw people blowing lines in public. If my parents only knew where I was going.

wow is this an ignorrant comment....

...try alchemy on a friday I play alot of brand new tribal and electro and people definitely get there dance on .. of course I mix in some hip hop because it is CT and we have basically no drugs in our clubs ..

i've been to alchemy a number of times.....in fact, i used to be quite a regular. all i ever heard there was trainwrecked "bubblegum," as u put it. people dont need drugs to dance...u just have to play the right tracks...sure it has to be more mainstream than in the city...u cater to a college crowd, what do u expect??? stop hammering peoples ears with ur noise...u can push the scene forward...so try not to send it back...

CT vs NYC .....BRING IT !!

u know whuts actually funny

i can play a set that boris or jp would play exaclty to a t and ppl will be like yeah hes no jonathan peters lol

btw anybody heard the tracklist of boris new cd lol talking about new haven playing old shit man lol

ohh you know whuts really funny

a freind of mine was at the wmc in the booth and called me on the phone and read out boris playlist to me

fuking freaks come out of nowhere lol

kings of new your this is house

fuking shit tunes man

let alone they were old as dirt man

they were fuking tunes i wouldnt play if u paid me to lol

all hail the new yorkers !!! lol

• 2 weeks later...

CT club scene isn't that great. I mean back in the raver days I remember amazing djs coming thru. Feelgood, Donald Glaude, Felix Da Housecat, Josh Wink, Green Velvet and many more. Now the only place in CT bringing in BIG Talent is Room 960. I'm gonna give props where props are due. Alchemy brings in those "Dance Acts" that are a lil too weak for me. Sure you guys brought in serge devant and Jonathan Peters is coming soon but come on guys. You guys brag on how big the club is and how great the sound is blah blah blah. Then bring in BIG DJs. Room 960 keeps them coming to ct. Who cares if they're not a HUGE club. It's all about the talent. Who cares if it's 25-30 dollars. If it's a big dj they have the following, don't worry they sell themselves all you have to do is host them. If you book them, they will come. Unfortunately there are a lot of people in connecticut that aren't really exposed to good house/techno/trance. All they know is what they hear on party 105.3 or KTU. I dj in New Haven. The gay clubs in ct offer better music than the straight ones. I dj for gay night at oracle but the house you get from Gerald Goode and Boyric from New Haven is impressive. I love to throw down a techno set for the gay crowd. They love the hard I can get. Unfortunately I can't get as hard as I would like because everyone then waits for hip hop or want more vocals. CT is just a picky crowd. Not good picks but picky. Here's a thought for your club war on who's the best. Who ever brings Carl Cox to Connecticut can have the title of BEST CLUB IN CONNECTICUT.

If you think boy rick is good... WOW.. pots and pans

anyone who brings carl cox to CT is just plain stupid... yes maybe the 1,000 people you pack in the club love it but whoever is financially responsible for it is going to take a digger..

Room 960 brings in great talent and even charging $25 and $35 they still arent making a huge % of profit..

At Alchemy we don't overcharge because we cant because we are so busy every night anyway you cant piss people off..

I think you pumped yourself up as some super DJ who plays really hard techno for people who want to hear hip hop... has there ever been more then 50 people at oracle on the night you are talking about.

I know for a fact that there is no gay or lesbian party in new haven you can play more then one song that isnt a diva vocal.. maybe some tribal but it still has to be gay..

We at Alchemy bring in what works financially and for the good of future weeks.

If we could charge $25 and not have to worry about our regular customers who come every week not just for special events we would have the top 10 dj's in the world coming to the club on a regular basis remember we are 45 minutes from NY and all those DJs that come to New York are almost always available around the time they are in New York.. its just not going to happen..

Sorry if we only booked NYC's #1 DJ in Jonathan Peters because Its gonna work and its the right thing for the club to do.. I could have gotten josh wink for alot cheaper but would he draw .. we have had feelgod and the others wouldnt draw..

bottom line ct is not new york it will never be new york

like sumbody said there are about 30,000 house /dance music fans in new york all looking for sumwhere to go in ct we got like maybe 50 -100

but half are seperated by groups of ppl who dont like this guy a promoter who dont like this venue and fans who go out to other clubs cuz of the free drinks and there are more girls at this spot i can go on for days

its in your hands the fans yo if u like house music go to the fuking hole in the wall clubs dont just bar hop and follow the crowd if they play house at a club you normally dont go to cuz the crowd not cool enough or u dont wanna be seen at such and such club then who is making the scene wack the djs or the fans ?

bottom line ct is not new york it will never be new york

like sumbody said there are about 30,000 house /dance music fans in new york all looking for sumwhere to go in ct we got like maybe 50 -100

but half are seperated by groups of ppl who dont like this guy a promoter who dont like this venue and fans who go out to other clubs cuz of the free drinks and there are more girls at this spot i can go on for days

its in your hands the fans yo if u like house music go to the fuking hole in the wall clubs dont just bar hop and follow the crowd if they play house at a club you normally dont go to cuz the crowd not cool enough or u dont wanna be seen at such and such club then who is making the scene wack the djs or the fans ?

I agree with you completely. I had the same problem when I lived there. None of my coworkers wanted to go to the places that played house 'cause they were holes-in-the-wall. In a place like Connecticut which is the equivalent of misery-in-a-box, these people were worried about being seen at a less fashionable establishment. NYC was my outlet. :D

I hate CT clubs as well.....I havent been to a CT club in who knows how long. First of all...the dress code sucks ass...you cant even wear a bandanna...Way to strict with that bullshit...Music sucks...they play mainstream crap and always drop those hip-hop beats that the nigs go crazy fo' lol and i dunno, i just hate it

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know what happend to Bar with no name on Aslyum St. in Hartford?? I was in the area during the day recently and it looked closed down.......ANY CLUE????? PLUS, What lounge/spots are good in the Hartford area?

Hmm... I mean you have 960, Sully's, Zen Bar, The Factory which now has a night for D+B, Acid House, ElectroClash, Punk, Goth, etc; The Oxbow Cafe, Arcadia in New Britain and not to mention the countless other things that never get broadcast on the internet... I don't know, you can't compare CT to NYC but it is definetly holding it's own. Especially with DNB... Word :)

• 2 months later...