Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Sports Random Thoughts

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

the chase for the race is heating up... Kennesth's 4th win of the season puts him only 7 points back of Jimmy Johnson!!

I'm pleased with Juniors 3rd place finish all though i'd rather him win it of course. lol

I'm getting so pumped up for freaking homestead!!!

I HAVE to go to a night race at Bristol.... the bumping and grinding was fantastic... riggs almost knocked gordan out... lol

:D

the chase for the race is heating up... Kennesth's 4th win of the season puts him only 7 points back of Jimmy Johnson!!

I'm pleased with Juniors 3rd place finish all though i'd rather him win it of course. lol

I'm getting so pumped up for freaking homestead!!!

I HAVE to go to a night race at Bristol.... the bumping and grinding was fantastic... riggs almost knocked gordan out... lol

:D

i hear ya about bristol...such a bump and run track and lots of action...i didnt get to see my boy win last night but i did see him win on friday at bristol...passed harvick nicely for that win...:)

i hear ya about bristol...such a bump and run track and lots of action...i didnt get to see my boy win last night but i did see him win on friday at bristol...passed harvick nicely for that win...:)

ahhh i didn't know he won friday too... kid's on fire man.. i think it may be kennesths year... he's had some FAST cars...

Interesting article on some of the moves the Sox have made over the last two years and how most of them have backfired... I had no idea the Sox had all these players in their farm system at one time...

Clubplanet - club listings, guest lists, nightlife, new years, new years eve, clubbing, nightclubs | nightlife, nightlife style, night club, new years, new years eve, nite club, nightclub, nightclubs, clubbing, night club promotions, club dance, club search, dance clubs, bar, party, techno, rave, free games, special event, tickets

There's a telling passage in Seth Mnookin's new book about the Red Sox, "Feeding the Monster: How Money, Smarts, and Nerve Took a Team to the Top." It's about a staff meeting shortly after the Red Sox were eliminated by the White Sox this past October, and Theo Epstein tells senior staff the following:

We sat here in April and talked about building an überteam. That's dangerous. That's very dangerous. We need to be aware of the potential that the bubble could burst. Yes, it's a pro that, on the business side, we continued to grow. But on the con side is the amount of hype as we move toward superpower status. Yes, we won 95 games this year, but this approach isn't really sustainable over the long run. Sooner or later we might need to take half a step backward in return for a step forward. ... I warned about this in April. What if we win 85 games? We're bringing up some young players that are going to be better in '07 than they will be next year. And they'll probably be even better than that in '08.

Today, it looks as though the Red Sox are going to win 85 games this season. Give or take a few. However many they win, they're not going to the playoffs and they certainly don't resemble an überteam (the Yankees still have that category to themselves). After the Red Sox won the World Series, it became fashionable in some quarters -- including this one, I'm embarrassed to admit -- to suggest that the Red Sox were simply becoming the New Yankees, that they might simply spend their way to 95-100 wins every season. Well, they tried. The only recent products of the farm system playing a significant role for the Red Sox this season are Jonathan Papelbon and Kevin Youkilis, and Youkilis is no kid (meanwhile, the Yankees have relied on three recent graduates). It didn't work because while the Yankees have filled holes with Johnny Damon and Bobby Abreu, the Red Sox have filled holes with Coco Crisp and Alex Gonzalez.

Other results of this approach?

• In 2003, the Red Sox traded Freddy Sanchez and Mike Gonzalez to Pittsburgh for Jeff Suppan, Brandon Lyon and Anastacio Martinez. Suppan went 3-4 with a 5.57 ERA with the Red Sox and didn't pitch in the postseason. Reliever Lyon gave the Red Sox some decent innings that season, then was one of the platoon of players sent to Arizona for Curt Schilling. Martinez has spent most of the three years since the deal in the minors. Sanchez is probably going to win the National League batting title this season. Gonzalez, before he got hurt, converted 24 of his 24 save opportunities for the Pirates.

This past November, the Red Sox traded Hanley Ramirez, Anibal Sanchez and two other young players to the Marlins for Josh Beckett, Mike Lowell and Guillermo Mota. Ramirez is a solid Rookie of the Year candidate, and 22-year-old Sanchez has a significantly lower (if somewhat misleading) ERA than Beckett does. The two other young players, both 22, have pitched well in Class A this summer.

In January, the Red Sox traded Andy Marte, Mota and Kelly Shoppach to the Indians for Coco Crisp, David Riske and Josh Bard. Marte, who projected as a future star, struggled some in Triple-A this season but doesn't turn 23 until next month and looks like a big part of the Indians' future. Crisp, the centerpiece of the deal, has been a complete bust with the Red Sox.

In May, the Red Sox traded Bard and Cla Meredith to the Padres for Doug Mirabelli. Mirabelli's batting .189 with the Red Sox, and Tim Wakefield -- the only reason for Mirabelli's presence on the roster -- hasn't pitched since mid-July. Meanwhile, Bard is batting .328 for the Padres and Meredith has posted a 0.89 ERA in 30 relief innings. Would the Red Sox be better off right now if they had Freddy Sanchez, Anibal Sanchez, Ramirez, Marte, Bard and Meredith on the roster? Yes, they probably would. Would they be better off next season -- and for the next few seasons -- if they had those guys? Obviously. And I'm sure I'm missing a few other deals like this, more trading kids for veterans who really didn't do much afterward. The worst sort of trades you can make.

One gets the impression that Epstein would have preferred to take half a step backward at a time of his choosing. But the half a step -- which lately is looking like a whole step -- has chosen its own time. Next up: Do the Red Sox learn something from this half (or whole) step backward? Or do they get back on the treadmill, trade a few more young players and try one more time to build that elusive überteam.

• 2 weeks later...