Clubplanet Nightlife Community

best track ever?

eddie3

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was going to suggest this

His best known track, 'Strings Of Life' comes from these days, a demo tape he gave Frankie Knuckles to play in his club. It was Frankie who named the song. "It just went crazy," smiles Derrick. "It just exploded. It was like something you can't imagine, the kind of power and energy people got off that record when it was first heard. Mike Dunn says he has no idea how people can accept a record that doesn't have a bassline. It had never dawned on me that 'Strings' didn't have a bassline." Not that it needed one because like a lot of May's productions, in 'Strings' everything from the strings, the blips, the sequences, the keyboards and sounds all move to create rhythm. It's as if the funk has infected every part of the track so the whole thing jiggles and dances like a crazy bag of bones some shaman is waving over the dancefloor. His secret, he claims, is simple - he saves the drums for last. "80% of all my songs have always started with strings, it's like a mood, a frame of mind. I don't always end up using those strings but that's the way I start and from there I just build. I'm a metronome working kind of guy, I make the music to the metronome. Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. The last thing I do is add the drums. Too many people use drums as a piece de resistance to their music. That's dumb. Drums are an accent. That's it. You should be able to make a track and not even use drums. You should be able to have so much power that you don't need drums."

http://www.techno.de/mixmag/interviews/DerrickMay1.html

Underworld - Born Slippy

:)

good song tho i like 'dark & long' better only because if you listen close enuf it sounds like they're saying "enjoy the vagina". no joke - if you listen to it there's a good portion where the vocals sound like they're saying "enjoy... the vagina... enjoy... the vagina". it's also pretty cool when the song breaks and there's only one vocal sample and that's definitely saying "down down down downers down down downers".

click here to listen to it:

dark & long

I have to agree with gabe tho - it's about impossible to pick out one track tho if I had to I would say PVD's remix of Humate's "Love Stimulation"

love stimulation

Layo & Bushwacka - Love Story(Tim Deluxe Remix) still can never figure out what the hell the guy is saying in the song

It's not a man...It's a sample from Nina Simone- "Rags and Old Iron"

All he was buying was just rags and old iron

ahh the old overdose days. does that lable still put out tracks? wut happened to scot project?

shit reminds me of Vicious at the tunnel

i have no idea about that label....but even though i really cant listen to that hard shit anymore i was gonna make it out to scot project when he spun at avalon a few months ago (maybe last year i forget?) im mad i didnt cuz i heard it was insane both times he spun.

Guest onisakura
Layo & Bushwacka - Love Story(Tim Deluxe Remix) still can never figure out what the hell the guy is saying in the song

You should hear: Planet Funk vs Layo & Bushwacka - Sun Story

Another absolute fav.....along with KOT and Sapphirecut - Free Your Mind, Cassius - The Sound of Voilence, Valentino - Flying.

Old Space Patio classics. Those were the days....

eventhough its fairly new.....

Mike Foyle vs SignalRunners - Love Theme Dusk

its just a beautiful song. Well composed, Production is topps, and one of the best piano pieces i ever heard.

Humate - Love Stimulation(Michael Woods rmx) is up there