Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Soundfactory???

Which 2???

There was one on W27th street between 10th & 11th Avenue. It was the old Twilo space (before Twilo existed) where Spirit is now. That club was there from 1989 - 1993 / 1994 or so.... This was a legendary club known all over the world...

The other one was the one on W46th bwtween 11th & 12th Avenue. JP was the resident and it went from the late 90's till 2003 or so. This club was legendary in its own right, but didn't have the same global recognition that the original had...

1) What was it like??? (The music, the capacity, the crowd, the DJ's etc. etc.)

2) Will it reopen???

Thanks! :)

(Assuming you're referring to the one on 46th)

It held about 2,500

It was good until about 2000, then it really started to go downhill with regard to the music and the crowd. And yes, the parties did go on until Sunday afternoon, so drugs were obviously a big part of the scene there; with the drugs came several raids, and it was closed for good in 2003. It's not reopening BTW. Pacha occupies the space now.

The place was just nutz, only one dj on sat nites for 7 or 8 yrs, he rocked the crowd, and the crowd there loved him. Cause that dj was doing it week in and week out for so many yrs on some nites he just took u to another place musically and poping shit out on the fly like u would not believe. I found my love for house music in that place and 5 and a half yrs later since i first went there i still got a smile on my face saying o taht good old soundfactory.

p.s i saw some old ass mta workers on times square station recently with taht same smile talking about larry levan at paradise garage they musta been at least 45(the guys said dam man yall remeber larry man he was the shit back then) and that put a smile on my face too.

Yep "SFB (Sound Factory Bar)"!... From 1989-1996... Frankie Knuckles was DJing there (The Whistle Song - 1st Anthem)... As you've said "Twilo" replaced it in 96! And it's present day "Spirit"!

Yep... This is the one I was referring to!

Thanks! :)

Ok your confusing things now, SOUND FACTORY 27th street was not SOUND FACTORY BAR, sfb was on 21st it was called CHEETAH after sfb. 2 different clubs, SOUNDFACTORY on 27th street was the house that junior vasquez built and frankie knuckles home among others. Very very legendary and influential in the global culture. After the paradise garage closed everyone was either at SOUNDFACTORY or TRACKS. Much like the garage it was very influential to everyone all over the world. Djs who were inspired by JUNIOR VASQUEZ among others were angel moraes, victor calderone, jonathan peters.

Soundfactory bar had all type of djs during the week for the few yrs it was open, frnakie knuckles, louie vega, danny tenaglia, tedd patterson, camacho, francois k, danny krivit, hippie torrales, and when STRICTLY RHYTHM was the best house music label around they had performances there and every weds was packed with industry and i mean REAL INDUSTRY people as well as clubbers.

Soundfactory on 46th street was just a club that for 7 yrs Jonathan peters made famous NOT the world over but between the tri state area and was more associated with drugs after 2000 then the music. It brainwashed its patrons to think that HEs theonly dj around and his style of music was the only type to like hehe. Def legendary in its own right and introduce alot of 18 and younger people to music and the scene but not really important in the overall aspect of the industry,

PACHA has taken over the space on 46th street, SPIRIT is at 27th street, and the 21st street is still currently closed i think.

Ok your confusing things now, SOUND FACTORY 27th street was not SOUND FACTORY BAR, sfb was on 21st it was called CHEETAH after sfb. 2 different clubs, SOUNDFACTORY on 27th street was the house that junior vasquez built and frankie knuckles home among others. Very very legendary and influential in the global culture. After the paradise garage closed everyone was either at SOUNDFACTORY or TRACKS. Much like the garage it was very influential to everyone all over the world. Djs who were inspired by JUNIOR VASQUEZ among others were angel moraes, victor calderone, jonathan peters.

Soundfactory bar had all type of djs during the week for the few yrs it was open, frnakie knuckles, louie vega, danny tenaglia, tedd patterson, camacho, francois k, danny krivit, hippie torrales, and when STRICTLY RHYTHM was the best house music label around they had performances there and every weds was packed with industry and i mean REAL INDUSTRY people as well as clubbers.

Soundfactory on 46th street was just a club that for 7 yrs Jonathan peters made famous NOT the world over but between the tri state area and was more associated with drugs after 2000 then the music. It brainwashed its patrons to think that HEs theonly dj around and his style of music was the only type to like hehe. Def legendary in its own right and introduce alot of 18 and younger people to music and the scene but not really important in the overall aspect of the industry,

PACHA has taken over the space on 46th street, SPIRIT is at 27th street, and the 21st street is still currently closed i think.

"it brainwashed its patrons into thinking he's the only dj around"

interesting comment. were you brain washed?

"it brainwashed its patrons into thinking he's the only dj around"

interesting comment. were you brain washed?

Not at all i was there in 1998 and i stopped goin there in 1999. I have not heard the man since becuase i saw and heard the direction his music was goin too and i didnt like it.

Not at all i was there in 1998 and i stopped goin there in 1999. I have not heard the man since becuase i saw and heard the direction his music was goin too and i didnt like it.

interesting.

what direction was that? i kinda think ur right...........

Here is what I will say about the "newer factory". What I can claim about this club is that it was purely nuts in whatever terms. Music, drugs, girls, guys whatever. Just nuts nobody had a care in the world...was it because of the drugs?? Of course but at that point in our lives that was ok. The shows and all the nonsense of the drags dancing and the bleachers on the sides. It was just pretty much nuts. To say it was great because of music or something else isnt really the best description. I would go meet new people every Sat/Sun and just chill like we were best of friends. The fruit, condoms, popcorn.. just fun...the unisex bathrooms. Pretty much a playground. Now music wise Twilo was the shit. To me at least Twilo was a little more serious in the music dept. World Class acts any night of the weekend..opening of Jr. or not. I never got the chance to go to the Sound FActory Bar and I am sure it was great but I can tell you that The Sound Factory to me was a lot like the Limelight of old. Just frigging nuts. Now I dont know if thats good for the purist but to me it was.

Heres a drawing of what SOUNDFACTORY 27th street was like

455203476_l.jpg

Im not too sure about that photo 27th Street looks more like Shelter back then was 90% gay and everybody on tina. Even Junior said it himself "staple a condom to your penis when your on tina!" LOL The music was insane as always Junior's style.........

SF was by far the best club I have ever been to in my life. My favorite sets of music were played there, the best vibe I have ever been a part of, and just a dark/crazy place. Not every time I went was great by any means, there were plenty of off nights as well BUT when JP was on, there was no dj or club that could touch him in his prime imo.

People can spin it anyway they want. It was insane.

SF was by far the best club I have ever been to in my life. My favorite sets of music were played there, the best vibe I have ever been a part of, and just a dark/crazy place. Not every time I went was great by any means, there were plenty of off nights as well BUT when JP was on, there was no dj or club that could touch him in his prime imo.

Agree 100%. The music was just a backdrop. SF was all about the vibe. Call it the drugs, or whatever you want, but there were straights, gays, trannies, and everything in between getting along, dancing, hooking up, whatever.

Also, back in 1998-2001 it was arguably the best looking crowd in the city. "The pretty people place".

SF is opening in Miami shortly I think. I don't know how it's going to be though.

very poetic...i agree...

btw...silverbull...drugs were running rampant in the club wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy before 2000...

Yup even in Maestro the documentary everybody was on poppers LOL.........Some dude they interviewed that went to Paradise Garage, explained that it felt incredible like a dream and he cant find anything else to top that feeling inside PG with Larry (rip).......sort of how alot of people felt going to SF when the music and vibe was banging.......imo