Clubplanet Nightlife Community

all who go to twilo from this board, read this..

To all the Twilo bashers,

You have a point that they raise their cover prices up the roof and that it's over crowded.

Is this a surprise to you???

Providing you have different int'l talent week end and week out, inc. Wednesday nights on the best sound system in the world, what did u expect??

What are your other alternatives if you're really into this sound?? Not much at all. If I have to deal with the crowd, then so be it. Anything good will most likely be crowded. You don't think it gets crowded as shit in clubs all over the globe??? Shit, it miami's Crobar, they're charging $30 just to hear joe blow who fucking train wrecks every other track. And you guys are complaining about an extra $5. Get a job or stop going! Make more room for us!

Except for this friday... Finally, some room to dance and go off!!!!

tilt lawler best nite at twilo this year behing the s&d newyearday party. get them a monthly.

the solution to the overcroeded dilema is to up the cover. start charging 50 for the big parties. shit i've said it before and i'll say it again, its worth an extra 20 bucks to not have 80 million people hovering over eachother till 6 in the mornin.

------------------

deez nuts

[This message has been edited by p00h (edited 07-31-2000).]

Originally posted by Randy:

if you come to twilo on any otehr night other than S&D or PVD the floor has much more room. How packed was it for tilt/lawler? Seamen/Deep Dish? Sven Vath? .

If twilo was all about hte money, they could be booking tall paul, jules, and seb. Why would the Respect party continue if it doesn't bring in monster crowds. Josh Wink and Ovum?

Well, Twilo did not renew Carl Cox's Ultimate BASS party, probably because it didn't draw the crowds that it should have , based on how much they pay him.....and don't be fooled, Twilo (and every other club) is in it for the money. Guys like Judge Jules and Tall Paul may be too expensive for them , based on their popularity overseas VS their popularity here. S&D are a no brainer, and the Respect party is probably a bargain compared to other known DJ's. I for one would love to hear Seb here.....

carl Cox will be back in sept with the new intec party. Ultimate wasa montly party and I think they wanted to free up the non cox months so they could try out different stuff.

It would be interesting to have seb here, but he would not fit in w/ twilo so bringing him in would only be to make for an easy night.

as for teh cost of djs. it is widely accepted that clubs make more money on the bar than at the door. PLus, there are overhead costs far greater than hte cost of djs. Permits anyone? Club staff?

like i said, growing pains

lordgalactus, dont know what mags you read but Judge Jules is the god of everything that is crap about the scene.

Remember there is the ATB, olive scene in the UK ( for the kids) and thene there is the proper scene. Jules is for comersial scene.

Randy,

Yeah garage does seem to be making waves again. Not just the 2 step stuff though.

rschnabel,

Please don't call Tall Paul cheesy. Yeah, Judge Jules I can understand, he's cheesy as hell but Tall Paul plays the best hard house sets mixed in with some trance. He plays many of the biggest songs in his sets long before they ever become popular with the masses.

Also, B2B, I think that the guy that Jules said that they guy he hit was trying to hit on his wife.

erha, yeh but jules hit him without finding out that he was gay. His ego is getting too big for his glasses!

Judge Jules lashed out at a male dancer following his continous badgering towards Amanda O’Riodan , allegedly.

During his weekly four hour set at Eden, it has been rumoured that Jules broke a dancer’s nose after he continued to annoy Amanda with over provocative dancing. The dancer was apparently dragged into the DJ box by the Judge’s minder where he was held until Julsey smacked him.

Unbeknown to Jules, the dancer was in fact gay. Half an hour after leaving the club, the superstar DJ returned as he had forgotten his records. One eyewitness claimed the Radio One jock was very pissed and when spotted on the streets that night was greeted with the aggressive jeers of ‘Fuck off Jules’. Well, if you will play ‘It’s my turn’ in every fucking set.

Originally posted by back2basics:

lordgalactus, dont know what mags you read but Judge Jules is the god of everything that is crap about the scene.

Ha....I don't remember the exact name of it, but it seemed like he was on every other page, reviewing new mixes and such....I guess he was part owner of that mag huh? smile.gif

Maybe Twilo is trying to make themselves think they can remain a bit underground - by NOT booking the cheesy DJ's like Jules or Tall Paul - but like a lot of people have already said so far before, Twilo has gone mainstream! We can't escape the fact. I personally know little teeny bopper boys and girls from unknown suburbs that want to see S&D. I too, remember when I could easily dance in big circles on a PVD night at 6am. Now it wants to be invaded by all the new kids and Billboard listening music followers. Let's face it, Twilo regulars would love to call the club an underground love and exciting place that only so few know about - but with dance music's sucess - more and more kids are getting into it.

And let's face it, PVD and S&D choose music that is so popular with the masses. Trance/House is a blend of music that waves between soft and sweet to the hard and rough when it comes to beats and synth. As a DJ myself, I tend to pick particular music like this, because my senses are stimulated in many areas rather than the same hard techno or classic uplifting house. Twilo trance is ruling the masses and it won't be long before another disasterous event or city hall attack will take the club down. -

What else do people have to say?

Definalty nolimit!! Judge jules make me want to puke.

Did you here the story about him in Ibiza? He aparently though a guy was hitting on somebody he knew, so he gets his security to bring the guy to the booth and hits him (with help from security) anyway turns out this guy was gay word got round and Jules is booed out of the club. And asking for glow sticks to be banned from Gatecrasher (glow stick capital of the world) the man is messed up and cannot mix to save his life.

twilo went mainstream with those djs?

look at teh billboard charts, pvd and S&D broke the 200 barrier w/ their latest offerings. The music got big, not the club and people come out for the names that got popualr. S&D used to play for 200 people in there. Gonna blamea club for being successful? Gonna balme an athlete for winning too many medals?

Those djs were playing htere long before it got popular. I guess clubbers in the area got tired of razor and guido clones and wantedthe new trend on the block. What will be next? 2 step garage is making a scene in the uk

Hey all...

I just learned of the Death at Twilo and the recent Club Shootings (appalled gasp throughout the office). First on behalf of my fellow Clevelanders, I express my condolences to the family & friends of the young man that died that evening. He will be missed.

Then I stumbled across these archived headlines from elsewhere...

"Toronto City Hall Bans Public Raves"

"Miami Beach Afterhours Restrictions Begin Tonight"

Watching all of this from the Heartland, I understand the intense emotions that have arisen (yet again) in the nightcrawling world. Twilo's owners must now worry about their very existence again as Mayor Rudolph Giuliani prepares a crackdown against the industry. The lives and livelihoods of tens of thousands are hanging in the balance. If I may, please allow me to relate my City's experience with the industry. I don't know if this will help or not, but I think you all deserve to know what happened in another city.

It's a known fact that my hometown of Cleveland OH USA has been through hell and back in her 204 years. To this day, the mere mention of Cleveland still generates a laugh or two. But one thing we have done well is create a nightlife. The area known as The Flats sees over 8.5 million visitors each year, and the Historic Warehouse District next door is fast reaching the one million mark itself. Since I've been a nightcrawler for four years now, I have grown to know many of those directly involed on a first-name basis, along with their families in some cases. But I have also seen what vice does to the industry as well.

In February 1998, one of our oldest restaurants, Jim's Steak House, closed its doors after 75 years on the Cuyahoga River. The same month, ads for a place called "Aqua" strted appearing in our alternative weeklies, Scene and the Free Times. In May, I finally met the owner behind it. Her name was Robin Harris, and she has been involved in nightcrawling for 24 of her 42 years alive. Aqua, I learned , would be pattrend after her second home, MiamiDade's Historic South Beach. It would be like nothing the entire State of Ohio had ever seen before. Unlike what we had at the time, it would be VERY upscale. It would be glitzy. It would never allow any Dawg Pound members or those icky Wahooligans (I love my sports teams, but I draw the line at certain times).

And so, on Friday 19 June 1998 at 9PM, the doors swung open to reveal a wild, glorious new riverside oasis of music and fun never before seen in a blue-collar, meat & potatoes, shot & beer, jeans & t-shirt Rustbelt city. My hometown, I thought, had finally taken a critical step toward joining the First World of Nightcrawling: MiamiDade, La-La Land, Ibiza, London UK, Metropolitan Toronto, Chicagoland and Manhattan (of course). On more than one occasion, I arrived at 7 or 8 for a private function only to stay the entire night enjoying a Long Island or two and people-watching while pleasure craft jockekeyd for positions. Aqua's opening prompted the rise of the Historic Warehosue District and Gateway as nightcrawling centers, while causing many people to abadnon The Flats as they traded up to the classier clubs. The location (across from the Gateway sports arenas and Tower City Center) made it a perfect respite from the raucous, Tommy-clad, tequilla-soaked Flats and gave the City's carriage trade society reason to enjoy nightlife again. I myself joined many entertainment critics in calling it "the closet existing facility to the spirit of Manhattan's famed Studio 54 minus the vices that killed it." But that comparision proved to be probelmatic and would cement its downfall as well.

Aqua brought in many nightcrawlers who hadn't been Downtown since the early to mid 1980s when The Flats was young. These people also brought many illegal habits with them, like cocaine. The newer patrons, intrigued by the location away from prying Police eyes, brought their Ecstasy in turn. For the first summer, they were smart: they did it at hoem BEFORE heading out. But in October 1998, Aqua was named by the Free Times as the third best man-to-man pickup spot. Robin's partner in Aqua, Gary Bauer, went ballistic--revealing more than a few bigoted views in the process. She resigned and fled to MiamiDade on emergency holiday for a month. (NOTE: She currently spins every Thursday & Saturday at a popular club called Groovee in the Historic Warehouse District)

With the club now totally under Bauer's ownership, thinsg slowly began to get bad. First and afterhours was started to get through the agonizing Winter season. While a good idea to pay the WInter bills, he kept it going through Summer 1999 as well. Ms. Harris' departure forced a number of staffers to resign in protest, including many of the bouncers. The older, wealthier clientele vanished into the woodwork again as the fast-rising "club drugs" took over the place. I remember getting asked at least 10 times a night if I had any rolls, GHB or special K, and on one occasion I was invited to a cocaine party. Alcohol sales nearly vanished as people appeared later and later (Aqua was open to 5AM). Cleveland EMS paramedics made weekly visits rushing those who had overdosed to nearby hospitals. Fights were becoming common. And as it turned out, the Police had been watching Aqua for quite some time after all.

On Thursday 24 February 2000, the Police, the FBI, and the Cuyahoga County Sherriffs raided the 20-month-old nightclub and ordered it shutdown forever as a public nuisance and health/safety hazard. At least ten employees were indicted and charged with conspiracy to sell/distribute narcotics, and Gary Bauer was also charged with aggravated assault (he had beaten up an off-duty Police officer at The Basement, which he also owns). He was also forced to sell the building and its entire inventory and furniture.

Since that tragic day, my New American City has continued along. However, things have changed drastically. Although Aqua's drowning was met with sadness by some and joy by others, it is still sorely missed. The "e-tards, g-hards and coke fiends," as they are called, have not gone away, but they have simply found other places to go. No longer do they consume their stash out in the open, as was the case in 1999; rather they do the stuff BEFORE coming out. Alas, I still get asked from time to time if I have anything--which I don't since I nev touch the stuff. My limits are Chocolate Martinis, White Russians, Amaretto Sours and the aforementioned Long Islands.

Do I miss that deck? Watching all the beautiful people? The sunsets? The bright lights of my big city? Yes, I do. Aqua was our best chance in decades for us to finally catch up with all of you in NYC. We won't get that chance again. The only good thing is that our Mayor has not tried to actively eradicate one of our City's most important industries--although it does need a good house-cleaning.

What you all have to do now is to show City Hall that you ARE a real, viable business, not by whining and moaning every time a new restricion comes up (governments exist to restrict). The Death at Twilo and the Club Shootings underscore that fact. You need to do something--and fast.

Unless you want the First World of Nightcrawling to lose its flagship member city.

------------------

Erick Adam "E-rock" Sanders

Erock2000,

that was one of the most informative and insightful posts i have read about clubbing outside of NYC.

i, for one, admit that i think that everything evolves around NyC, so it is nice to hear about clublife elsewhere.

i hope that Cleveland's nightlife will be reborn again, keep us posted! smile.gif

------------------

*kitty19*

*turn it around baby*

Erock2000,

Yeah too true, same thing went on in the UK. Clubs were having licenses taken away from them until people stood up to be counted.

There are allot of very intelligent people on this board who (on a whole) are pillars to society.

As you say no matter what the government do they are not fixing the problem they are MOVING the problem. They need to be informed of this as closing clubs is not the answer it will only make it worse.

Somebody in last month mixer wrote a letter to the press saying the same thing, so did Richie Hawtin & his Mum (Bless here). Basically they were saying that closing them down will only move it underground again, back to warehouses, to fields to anywhere that is not regulated. Fight the war on drugs but do it in a realistic way.

lordgalactus,

LOL I think it suits him that pink look!

Ahhh...I remember the good ol' days of Twilo Fridays when the crowd was predominatly gay, everyone was creativly dressed, and Junior had not yet descended (yes, I know Jr spins on Sat, but that'sa not my point). I personally cannot go there anymore, because if I see one more halter-top-and-black-skirt-bimbo-with-guido-man-on-coke combo, I may have to get violent. My only hope is that Twilo will go the way of Limelight, and a new dance mecca will be found.

------------------

"I live not in dreams, but in contemplation of a reality that is perhaps the future"- Rilke