Clubplanet Nightlife Community

When you think of a great dj, what type of qualities do you look for?

Hey Hey Hey

When you think of a great dj, What kind of qualities do you look for?

For me, the music he's playin has to hit me in the heart. he has to have that vibe that you can feel throught his set. I mean...GREAT dj"s can feel the crowd, which is a unique gift and talent. I love when a DJ has everyone on the floor just vibing. It KILLS me when you see a Dj all into his music without looking to the crowd for that energy. The problem is the music is not his music the music is to be shared with the crowd, in a way that you feel every ounce of the song no matter what type of music is playing. SO HOW DO YOU GUYS FEEL? LET ME KNOW

I look for a good set of nails. How can you mix well w/o good nails?

No I'm not talking about finger or even toe nails. A good dj must carry some heavy duty shingle nails or some finishing nails for those extra long sets

Deep hitting tracks, blended together masterfully, that take you through the peaks and valleys, with natural grace.

When my heart pumps, my body shakes, and my feet start popping..........that is what I want out of a DJ.

And everything else in life

IN MY OPINION (NO PARTICULAR ORDER)

1. THE CROWD

2. VARIETY

3. BLENDS OF TECHNO, TRANCE, GARAGE AND DEEP HOUSE

4. NEW GOODIES WITH OLD GOODIES

5. DEEP VOCALS AND HARD BASS LINES

6. ORIGINALITY

7. JUNGLE BEATS

8. "THE CHANT"!!!!!!! (JUST KIDDING)

For me it's as simple as the DJ not taking themselves TOO SERIOUSLY!!!

I love it when a DJ is just obviously there as 'one of the crowd'. They won't have their heads in a record box all night and they'll throw on some great tunes and laugh with the crowd. Also, I love it when a DJ will throw on some classics. Maybe stuff from a few years back that people instantly recognise. To me it just shows some roots and some history and it's a nod of appreciation.

Less attitude, more acceptance, and more fun is what it is all about for me.

You know I agree with all of you, but especially highbpm about throwin just a few clasics here and there. Since I'm on the topic, what was amazing was to hear Paul van Dyk throw in SnS by Y&T (on strictly rhythm records) at like 7AM after playing some of his "fluffy" shit. That song took me back, and as it did the same for my night! He definitely gained instant respect there, because that song (hope you all remmeber it) is a classic, and it showed that his roots dont strictly stem from the New Order/ Human League days. Just my 2cents smile.gif