Clubplanet Nightlife Community

S&D vs. PVD .. need club advice!!

Hello,

Me and some friends are planning a roadtrip to NYC (we're from Chicago) to see either Sasha & Digweed at the end of this month, or Paul Van Dyck in February.. both at Twilo I believe on Fridays.

My question to all you NYC clubbers, which is the better crowd, or is it the same?

I plan on rollin to at least 9-10 AM so the crowd in the afterhours is a factor..

My only experience with NYC clubs is going to Exit back in October when S&D were playing there on a Friday.. I thought it sucked.. way too many 18 yr old dudes hanging around and all the chicks looked like they were scared someone was going to talk to them.

I'm also planning on going out the following Saturday night.. what's (in your opinion) the best place to hit that night? I'd rather hear trance or hard-house... forget the hip-hop shit.

s&d at exit???

mmmmkay

anyway, the crowds are pretty much both extremely packed out. both have hi- nrg, but i think pvd crowd edges out overall. only thing is, he will most likely not go past 830, unless maybe he's not booked for saturday, but i'm sure he is, hafta check on it.

if your looking for more nrg consistently throughout the nite then go for pvd b/c its defiently like that

s&d progresses more, more genre's of music, and more of a buildup. pvd is like a rollercoaster and s&d is like more like a ski-lift

s&d will go til at least 10 though

-Rob

------------------

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they never use" -Soren Kierkegaard

"People who know little are usually great talkers, while men who know much say little." -Rousseau

"One must learn to be a sponge if one wants to be loved by hearts that overflow." -Frederich Neitzsche 2-Brandie&Rob-11

hmr3.gif

I'm surprised you went to Exit when S&D were playing at Twilo!

I prefer S&D - deep dark progressive house till about 5am and then bangin progressive house/trance till close (10/10:30am).

PvD - bangin trance all night long...

PvD plays hard all night long, whereas S&D build their sets over the course of the night and get really hard only after about 5am. WIth S&D its all about the journey.

They're both very crowded but PvD stays packed till the end, whereas S&D you'll have a little space to dance after about 6 or so.

The vibe at Twilo is the best in the city by far (my opinion). Very friendly, most of the people there to dance and have fun.

PS: Just re-read your post. S&D do NOT play at Exit.

------------------

"I would believe only in a god who could dance."

Nietzche

[This message has been edited by raver_mania (edited 01-04-2001).]

[This message has been edited by raver_mania (edited 01-04-2001).]

S&D have a monthly residence at Twilo (last Fi. every month)...such is the case that it is not AS crowded as it was a few months ago...especially due to the $35 price tag of admission and the accesibility of seeing them every month. It is however crowded, but seems to thin out a great deal between 6-7.

PvD on the other hand only dj's Twilo on select occasions...in turn it is generally REDICULOUSLY packed...almost to the point where you can't move at all.

The crowds for both nights are going to be pretty similar...although PvD tends to draw a bit more of the crowd that is into NY style hard house (ie: factory heads)...for whatever reason. For example, I love SF and tend to enjoy the PvD nights more than the S&D nights...although both are great.

For Saturday...YOU HAVE to go to

Sound Factory for after hours...there is nothing like it in NY. Twilo w/ Junior on Sat. is cool too...but if your making a road trip you might as well go to two different places.

------------------

"The world is a better place because of those who refuse to believe they can't

fly."

dragon_pipe_e0.gif

just checked and apparently paul has a date to be confirmed in toronto that saturday nite so expect him to pack up his vinyl at 8 and be out after a few encores by 830.

-Rob

------------------

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they never use" -Soren Kierkegaard

"People who know little are usually great talkers, while men who know much say little." -Rousseau

"One must learn to be a sponge if one wants to be loved by hearts that overflow." -Frederich Neitzsche 2-Brandie&Rob-11

hmr3.gif

I have seen PVD and some how he plays hard but not like the way he plays in Europe. He is a little mellow in the States or at least at Twilo for that matter. S&D might be better I think they cater to the crowd. ALso if you are on the <A HREF="http://www.clubplanet.com/guestlists/" TARGET="_blank"> guestlist</A> it does not cost $35.00. As for them playing at Exit I don't know about that one I believe they have never played there.

pintu

------------------

They call me Pin2 short for Pintu

Is there a Pin1 and Pin3???

I say I say ol'chump how you say "LETS PARTY"

"Imigination is more important than knowledge" -Albert Einstein

"We all feel better in the DARK!" -PSB

pintuj@hotmail.com

Pintu's Page

>sashaandjohndigweed.gif

PVD...there is no substitute. S&D can rock the house but not with the high energy PVD brings....the crowds are typically the same but I like the PVD crowd a little better. Don't worry about him leaving at 8:30 cause he'll leave you wanting more regardless of when he goes off...just know that besides GErmany, Twilo is his favorite place and crowd to spin for so expect only the best.

FRIDAY NIGHTS AT WILO HAS A VAST AGE GROUP. YOU HAVE TO UNDERSTAND THAT PVD AND SASH AND DIG . ARE ONLY HERE 1 TIME A MONTH. PVD IS ACTUALLY EVERY 3 MONTHS. IM 28 AND I GO BUT I CHILL WITH AN OLDER CROUD. WE ROLL AND DOO ALL THAT SHIT. YOU CAN ALWAYS HAND WITH US. IM GONNA BE THERE FEB 9TH PVD )

DUDE! THE CLUB IS WHAT MAKE OF IT

I BEG TO DIFFER WITH S AND D AT TWILO LAST TIME. THEY WERE OFF THE HOOK.

BUT I UNDERSTAND ABOUT THE TEENEY BOPPERS SOME OF THEM LOOK 14YRS OLD

DROP ME AN EMAIL MAYBE WE CAN CHILL AT THRE CLUB, WE GOT A MAD PARTY THAT NIGHT . ITS MY B DAY THAT NIGHT. i GOT IT POSTED AS WELL

CRAIGLTL@YAHOO.COM IS THE E MAIL cwm4.gif

PvD without a doubt, Man Im about to head out to Chicago to catch my man Carl Cox and Sandra Collins pretty soon...Even though I catch his sessions at Twilo and I saw her at Gatecrasher last month at LL can't get enough of then...think you can hook me up with some info as to when the next time theyre spinning.....I know they both are residents at Crowbar

I agree with mostly everyone so far.......I think they are both experts at what they spin, which are very different.......I'd like to make one point though since everyone is juicing up PVD so much......really I think that if S&D played every other month and PVD each month the tables might be turned........I guess once you have something more often you tend to take it for granted.......I say this because I think about S&D leaving Twilo and the thought disturbs me a bit.......also I am a bigger S&D fan yet I find myself looking forward to PVD this coming Feb more than them......I think we're all suffering from PVD withdrawal...... cwm12.gif

Mikey

------------------

"The silent dog is the first to bite..." - me

RE: Carl Cox & Sandra Collins..

Both havent been residents @ Crobar for quite a while now.. Sandra was dropped for showing up late and/or being wasted a couple times.

I'm not sure but I believe Carl Cox will be in Chicago in March

Besides, the lame Chicago techno/trance scene doesnt really kick in until the weather warms up and the kids are out of school.

as mentioned in the above posts, both nights have very different styles of buildup. it depends on you want the long journey (s&d) or the progressive trance all night (pvd).

correction: pvd is a bi-monthly resident (every two months)

also, pvd is taking the month of january off from djing to produce in his studio, so he'll probably be showcasing some of his new tunes for the first time on feb 9th.

trust me, either way you can't go wrong.

see you under the mirrorball!

first of all , FUCK j peters, that cheesehead couldnt build a set in his life, if you wana hear jennifer lopez ktu remixes, have fun. anyway about S+D vs PVD, its like this: PVD is good, a bit cheesy, but like that cheez whiz you dip your nachos in, mmm goood, not that cheddar shit (jpeters), anyway PVD is more energetic style , his bpm is definitely higher than S+D, but S+D are by far superior djs, its like the kid above said, its about the journey, they take you on a trip and build you up from the inside. twilo by far has the best crowd, and the girls arent afraid of being raped by guidos, so the vibe is very chill. so heres my recomendation: S+D, its just simply another world, american djs (except for DT) have a lot to learn, exit is for tourists (and whats up with S+D playin there? never heard of that, they have self respect you know)

------------------

- elegance is never out of style -

NOBODY MOVES AND CONNECTS WITH A CROWD LIKE PVD! VIBES ARE AWESOME AT PVD NIGHTS. S&D ARE GREAT DJS BUT BETWEEN 2AM-6AM, THEIR SET IS USUALLY SLOW AND EVEN BORING AT TIMES (I CATCH MYSELF YAWNING A LOT). IF YOU'RE GONNA SEE SASHA & DIGGS, GO ~5AM... BUT I MUST SAY PVD IS THE WAY TO GO!!!