Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Stereo Receivers and Surround Sound Speakers

Hey me too! I am looking to purchase the same thing. I want to stick with a Sony A/V receiver especially since everything I have is Sony. Supposedly their ES line of receivers are top quality. For speakers I really liked the Infinity series speakers…very nice but very pricey. Check out crutchfield.com for a good selection on speakers and a/v equipment.

------------------

eye.gif

MarioNY.com

AOL:ZOMBLA

Originally posted by MarioNY:

Hey me too! I am looking to purchase the same thing. I want to stick with a Sony A/V receiver especially since everything I have is Sony. Supposedly their ES line of receivers are top quality. For speakers I really liked the Infinity series speakers…very nice but very pricey. Check out crutchfield.com for a good selection on speakers and a/v equipment.

damn mario, have you been to my place . . .

hahaha, lol . . .

i have a sony receiver and all sony components. it works awesome cause once you put in a dvd, it will turn on your receiver and change the settings . . .

get this my speakers and sub are infinity . . .

i just got a panasonic 56" widescreen hdtv . . .

------------------

Life is too short to be small.

I would suggest getting bi/omni-polar speakers. Mirage and Boston Acoustics make great speakers for the $. Check out tweeter.com for some packages. I'm assuming that you don't plan on spending over $5k on your system. So, just about anything that's THX certified will do. Unless you live in a huge mansion, a low THD (cleaner sound) is more important than high wattage. When choosing a receiver, make sure that it can supply equal amounts of wattage to at least 5 channels. Just because a speaker is bigger, it doesn't mean that it's better. Get something that has a good frequency response range. Unless you're an audio guru, don't mix and match speakers for a surround sound system (go with a "surround sound package"). Ideally, all of your speakers should be voice matched (similar frequency responses so that when a sound moves across the room in a movie, you don't notice it change as it goes from your main speakers to your center and to your surrounds). What ever you do, don't buy a system just because it has a cool remote or a whole bunch of neat dancing lights.

------------------

translucent_figure.gif

Originally posted by doublestacked:

I've heard Yamaha is the way to go as far as a receiver.....

anyone heard anything about Klipsh speakers?

They're supposed to be a step above Polk and I've heard good things about polk....

Klipsch is very very high quality. NY Philharmonic and Boston Pops use klipsch in the concert halls, so I'd trust the quality there. Yamaha and Onkyo are excellent for components, no quite McIntosh, but...and Sony is great b/c everything can integrate.

Personally, I'd like to get a Bang & Olufssen BeoSystem 8000. My boss just got that and it SPANKS!!

------------------

"Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Bungee - $1700??? That's very cheap for a 53" sony...are you sure that isn't an old model. All hi-res models from sony are going for around $3k and up! And you thought $1700 was bad!!!! The wegas are selling for more than that!

Nahhh. Lower East side, Canal St., Indian/Chinese electronic stores sells em at a fraction of the cost due to the fact they have no overhead. Your right though, gotta be sure they ain't refurbished, nor sleazy in anyway. Also, just make sure the maufacturer's warranty comes with the package and you should be alright. What I like to do is bring in a newspaper ad from like thw WIZ, or anywhere else, and tell em to beat it. They usually do. Be careful though, gotta be streetwise, or they gonna get you.

The Wega is too small for my taste, I already have a 27" Trinitron, wanna go up to the 53" and above. Don't want to blow bucks on HDTV yet, SONY's prolly next best thing. Also, not an audio expert, gonna go with the Panasonic theatre package. More power, idiot friendly, and has 5 DVD/CD changer for $560 down in Lower East side.

------------------

Sticks and Stones may break my bones..but..words..can't..hurt..meeeee...

so there

Oh that's pretty cool about the dvd player. I'm gonna try to macro everything that's why I want to stick to all Sony components. The a/v receiver comes with a pretty neat remote too.

You SOB...you got the Infinity speakers???? I'm so jealous...I really want them bad. I'm looking into getting a complete set with sub as well. How is the sound on them? As orgasmic as I'm hoping them to be? I doubt I'll be disappointed.

That's a nice TV...I got a Sony XBR-300 53"...it's HDTV ready just no digital decoder built in...those things are pricey still. Does the panasonic come with one? The time I bought my tv the cheapest decoders were still way above $1k.

yeah the sony components have a s-link that you can hook up to the receiver and the receiver remote can control all the components . . .

my tv didn't come with the decoder so i still have to get one. it's still around a grand. but i have satellite and it looks money . . .

6042.ProdImageScale.iuEqbWvnqbEvrtCrixCp0000.120.96.jpg

PT56WXF95_Proj.jpg

------------------

Yeah, Bang and Olufssen would be nice but I need to save some money so that I can listen to some beats where it counts............

THE CLUB!!!!

------------------

"Video games don't affect kids.....I mean, if Pac Man had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills, and listening to repetitive music."

Originally posted by ichi_gami:

Klipsch is very very high quality. NY Philharmonic and Boston Pops use klipsch in the concert halls, so I'd trust the quality there. Yamaha and Onkyo are excellent for components, no quite McIntosh, but...and Sony is great b/c everything can integrate.

Personally, I'd like to get a Bang & Olufssen BeoSystem 8000. My boss just got that and it SPANKS!!

McIntosh...who has a $25k budget? Actually a friend of mine set up his place with a McIntosh system...I think he has spent over $30k so far! I watched a movie in his place and I was very impressed. I forgot what speakers he bought but I'm sure they were top notch as well. I was too in awe of the mcintosh to notice anything else. Besides crystal clear sound, they are a work of art!

------------------

eye.gif

MarioNY.com

Bungee - No way can you find a NEW hi-res model for $1700...check the models and you'll see. Most likely it's older models that are selling for that price.

Eggmok - Yeah, my TV and DVD both have the s-link so it'll definitely be cool hooking it up to the reciever. Finally I'll get use of that feature!

[This message has been edited by MarioNY (edited 01-16-2001).]

I run a Marantz receiver (dolby digital, thx, etc). Quality is excellent, has pre amp outputs for ALL channels including subs to upgrape to external amps, on screen programming, etc. Really a great manufacturer and they also make very cool remotes similar to sony. In my opinion stay away from Sony, it's to focused on gadgets and features rather than on pure high fidelity sound.

In terms of speakers I run klipsch all around. I am a big fan of horn tweeters and Klipsch has most of them beat, definately a great bank for the buck. It's the 15" sub with 800 watt amp that ties it all together.

My neighbors love my music, well come to think of it I really don't give them a choice.

------------------

*************************I got to thank god for the music.

Look at getting Onkyo or Harmon Karmon for a reciever. I work in a Circuit City selling these things, they are the best you can get and not too expensive, they are made very well and can handle a lot of power. Stay away from Bose, honestly you are paying for the name it's a good system but not worth the $2500. Even Sony is a good buy. If you are near a Circuit City check out stuff this week, it's all on sale.

My girlfriend has a Harman/Kardon receiver and uses the Bose surround sound speakers. It sounds great. My boyfriend has all the Sony Proscan components w/Bose & Infiniti speakers, but he seemed pretty impressed with the Harmon/Kardon receiver.

------------------

"Love your enemies...cause your friends may turn out to be a bunch of bastards."

They're supposed to be a step above Polk and I've heard good things about polk....

------------------

"Video games don't affect kids.....I mean, if Pac Man had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills, and listening to repetitive music."

it really depends on what your budget is . . .

if you want a phat receiver, get one that has thx decoding like a denon or pioneer . . .

as for speakers it really depends on you . . .

make sure you have enough watts to handle them . . .

------------------

what price range are you talking about???

your best bet is to listen to them yourself. onkyo/yamaha/sony/technics all make good separates. polk/infinity/nht all make good speakers...stay away from sony, their speakers are the absolute worse.

if you want some good looking stuff, check out b&o or nakamichi.

but, if u want THE best, get krell separates with wilson audio speakers...but i think thats out of everyones price range.

That's a fucking coincidence. Looking for a combination DVD, CD, Receiver, surround sound speaker system. Narrowed it done to a SONY and a PANASONIC. Panasonic is $100 higher, but has a 5 DVD/CD changer, 240 Watts vs. 1 DVD/CD changer, 160 Watts. Think I'm gonna go for the Panasonic. It's about $560 for total package.

------------------

so there

Originally posted by eggmok:

hahaha, lol . . .

i have a sony receiver and all sony components. it works awesome cause once you put in a dvd, it will turn on your receiver and change the settings . . .

Oh that's pretty cool about the dvd player. I'm gonna try to macro everything that's why I want to stick to all Sony components. The a/v receiver comes with a pretty neat remote too.

You SOB...you got the Infinity speakers???? I'm so jealous...I really want them bad. I'm looking into getting a complete set with sub as well. How is the sound on them? As orgasmic as I'm hoping them to be? I doubt I'll be disappointed.

That's a nice TV...I got a Sony XBR-300 53"...it's HDTV ready just no digital decoder built in...those things are pricey still. Does the panasonic come with one? The time I bought my tv the cheapest decoders were still way above $1k.

------------------

eye.gif

MarioNY.com

Be careful with what dvd player you buy if you expect to play your cd's throught it.

I know many of you, like me probably have a lot of burnt cd's and many dvd players that read cd's won't read them. For what reason i don't know...

------------------

Originally posted by eggmok:

hahaha, lol . . .

Hey, how does the panasonic projection TV compare to the SONY, Mitsubishi, Toshiba, etc. Thinking abouts the SONY cuz of the name. But that shit is like fucking pricey. $1700 for 53" SONY TV. That's highway robbery, but WTF can you do? Gonna hook that shit up with my home theatre crap and become deafer than I already am.

------------------

so there

Be careful with what dvd player you buy if you expect to play your cd's throught it.

I know many of you, like me probably have a lot of burnt cd's and many dvd players that read cd's won't read them. For what reason i don't know...

So, even if the player tells you you can run both DVDs and CDs, it can actually fuck up your DVDs and/or CDS? Or is it gonna just fuck up the player.

Then which player do you recommend?

------------------

so there