Clubplanet Nightlife Community

is anyone an art major on the board?

Originally posted by goldenman:

am i the only art major on the board? cwm20.gif

it's been awhile since i was in school, but i was an art major in college. my main focus was photography - that baically means i can't draw/paint/sculpt for shit. cwm1.gif

unfortunately, i couldn't hack the starving artist thing so of course my current job is completely unrelated to art. *sigh* i loved it though, while i was in school. do you have a specialty?

Originally posted by yuhwoo:

it's been awhile since i was in school, but i was an art major in college. my main focus was photography - that baically means i can't draw/paint/sculpt for shit. cwm1.gif

unfortunately, i couldn't hack the starving artist thing so of course my current job is completely unrelated to art. *sigh* i loved it though, while i was in school. do you have a specialty?

hey i was the same.. graduated with a BFA in photography. Then realized it was a lot harder to get photo job.. I also could not hack the starving thing and got a job in advertising, being somewhat creative.. Would love to get into Art Buying..

Originally posted by yuhwoo:

hey i was the same.. graduated with a BFA in photography. Then realized it was a lot harder to get photo job.. I also could not hack the starving thing and got a job in advertising, being somewhat creative.. Would love to get into Art Buying..

i was a photo major at the california institute of the arts. it's a great conceptual art school and i really should be utilizing what i learned there; unfortunately, i'd really need a "sponsor" to do what i really want to do. any sugar daddies out there?

no, seriously, we've all gotta pay our dues. i think my next step has to be to get a better paying job that also doesn't tax me or my time so much and then apply for grants to help me get started on what i'd really like to do artistically.

I am, I'm in my 3rd year at Emily Carr Institue of Art and Design in Vancouver B.C. Canada. I'm in visual arts...kinda all over the place, photography, lithography, drawing and painting. I spent the last 7 months in NYC, I want to transfer to a school there but tuition is too damn expensive! I had a really great portfolio assesment at Pratt but the tuition is $20,000 US a year for international students. In Canada the government subsidizes most of our education so I only pay $3000 CAD here...any suggestions on good but not so expensive schools in NYC?

BFA in Theater here.

For Art History, NYU actually has a very good program from what I've heard.

For women, Smith's program is wonderful too.

Bartlets and a few other books release lists of the top schools for certain majors...check it out.

-Oo

------------------

"When the soul wishes to experience something, she throws an image of the experience out before her, and enters into her own image." -Eckhart

"Solitude gives birth to the original in us, beauty unfamiliar and perilous - to poetry." - Thomas Mann

"I heard of a man that says words so beautiful that if he only speaks their name, women give themselves to him.

If I am dumb by your body while silence blossoms like tumors on our lips it is because I hear a man climb the stairs and clear his throat outside our door." - Leonard Cohen

I'm an art history major..different, but equally low job prospects.

Goldenman, it really depends on a)what you want to know about art and b)how you learn.

NYU will cover facts and get you to identify and had great resources ($) but they don't stress critical thinking as much. Smaller liberal arts schools are better for that.