Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Junior Vasquez Cannot Be Human

did anyone else spend a considerable amount of time watching JV in the booth sunday? a friend and i got the distinct sense that junior seemed unhuman. no, i was not fucked up on k. :) there is just something otherworldly about the way he moves, operates, the vibe he extends. i dont want to say i was overly influenced by the fucked up posters: opening with him as a clay demon and silver ball with all those freaky faces in the background! i hadnt seen those before. i dunno, im just goin thru it over this...

heheh.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, hes gay. definitely.

i can say his music definitely speaks to the gay experience, too. however, this claim was challenged by a straight female friend of mine who felt that his music was more universal.

im certain she just doesnt get all of it...considering i always have to explain what the tracks are talking about.

I know I mentioned this before, but my g/f used to go-go up on Landsdowne St in Boston. Junior was guest spinning at Avalon and we were excited to see him play, but he personally requested that the dancers either be drag queens or muscle boys, he specifically did not want any girl dancers while he played. So my g/f got scheduled to go-go at another club and we missed the majority of Junior's set which I thought was pretty shitty.

Gay or not, he is amazing!! Even if you dont like him or the way he plays, his mixing abilities are some of the greatest ever. What he does with music, the old shit he brings back, the hard tribal,gospel or the vocals sets he does are all great and done with total class. Lots of djs go to here him play and try to play the way he does or his style without much sucess.

There are some ingnorant people on this board.

Junior is the best DJ in the WORLD, if any of you clowns who knew anything about music, you would know that no one remixes and plays live like JUNIOR. He is the master at what he does, who gives a shit if he's gay, he can turn a shity old track into a masterpiece, YOU DUMB FUCKS

:blown:

im glad to hear praise for the man instead of all this insipid gay-bashing that has been going on around here.

as for the female dancers--it goes back to the same issue. i dont know how to explain the idea of being a gay dj, or being gay for that matter, to straight clubbers. its a culture! as earthboy aaron would say, nightlife is all there really is to gay culture anymore. activism has been destroyed by fashion. as homosexuality becomes more acceptable in the public view, more and more gay people just assimilating into the greater public. activism is uncool, and most gay people try to avoid the culture connotations that go along with being associated with such groups. so what's left? MUSIC, NIGHTCLUBS.

junior is perhaps the most important figure we have in gay nightlife today. he transcends and connects generations of gay men. to be honest, i dont want to see female dancers at his party. early in the evening, fine. at the grand opening of earth there most certainly were female dancers all over. and arent some of the anti-gravity act people girls? i didnt really pay attention; they moved too quickly.

i am NOT against this being a mixed crowd. what a lot of we queens forgot last week is that junior's appeal DOES cross sex-preferencial lines. im all for a mixed crowd. at the same time, im happy that the part of the party thats most important to me, the end, is mostly gay. moreover, junior's music gets a lot more gay toward the end. and, hunny, you cannot deny that some music is just more gay...

In Thursday's NY Post, Junior Vasquez(Donald Mattern) says and I quote " In my 10 to 12 years playing, I like a very mixed crowd, gay and straight...." Is Junior trying to be politically correct here?

I was there until 1130am Sunday moning and I loved it. The music was great and the vibe was great, and thats all that matters to me.:)

Tenaglia is gay, and he doesn't put up half the BS attitude that Vasquez does. No stopping the music to tell girls to get off the dance floor, no ridiculous silly wish-I-was-an-anthem poorly-done remixes of poppy 80's songs (danny does em RIGHT), JV's mixing is HORRIBLE.

Just listening to his music is a painful experience at best.

If you doubt my words, pick up a copy of Tenaglia's Global Underground - Athens and/or Global Underground London sets and pick up Junior's Twilo Vol1 set.

I just think DT's stuff is much more thoroughly done, deeper, less cheese and of course mixed extraordinarily well. I don't mean to bash people for liking junior... I just find his mixing style and his personality very aggravating to say the least.

Besides, after what he did with danny at Twilo, he's lost my respect.

Originally posted by thetruthteller

There are some ingnorant people on this board.

Junior is the best DJ in the WORLD, if any of you clowns who knew anything about music, you would know that no one remixes and plays live like JUNIOR. He is the master at what he does, who gives a shit if he's gay, he can turn a shity old track into a masterpiece, YOU DUMB FUCKS

:blown:

You're a moron Junior Vaquez is not the greatest remixer Danny Tenaglia is. Juniors mixing style is paltry at best, and if you wanted to talk about Vibe HE him self is the vibe killer him self with his militantly pro gay aura which he seems to need to infect everyone with this hateful way of thinking. How can you feel love from someone who doesn't let straight people into his parties because they are striaght kicks girls of the dance floor because they are taking up the space he thinks his chelasea boys should be having, and Take advantage of friendships to further his own carreer.. And His remixing? Please!!! follow me for a moment child you take Crap you put it in a box filled with perfume sparkles your hopes and dreams, and your momma.. open the box and what do you have ? Your momma Covered in Crap. Ill give you one thing Junior is a good technical Dj he can beatmatch and all that good stuff.. so he doesn't suck , and he is the master of what he does CRAP!!!!

-C

i dont know how to explain the idea of being a gay dj, or being gay for that matter, to straight clubbers. its a culture! as earthboy aaron would say, nightlife is all there really is to gay culture anymore. activism has been destroyed by fashion. as homosexuality becomes more acceptable in the public view, more and more gay people just assimilating into the greater public. activism is uncool, and most gay people try to avoid the culture connotations that go along with being associated with such groups. so what's left? MUSIC, NIGHTCLUBS.

OK OK OK... you want me to feel sorry for you because NOW society is starting to accept the gay community? You want me to conceed my good night to yours because I like girls? Since when did Being Gay have to do with shunning straight people I thought the whole point was for everyone to look past that.. To look past skin color to look past gender to look past sexual preference and instead to look to the Truth to God to something higher to be the guideline by which we live out our lives. That statement isn't striking a blow for gay night life Its inflamatory and its just plain selfish.. I see it with african-americans ( being one ) ,and other people of color, the double standard that is set up.. WHY?

for real not to be funny at all but why cant we all get along.

-C

Originally posted by junyahsboy

do you know where this article can be found online? was it a whole article about junior and earth? interested in reading it...

I dont know where the link is but here is what was wrote in full:

MEET JUNIOR THE MAN WITH THE 4 MILLION DOLLOR BOOTH

You know you've arrived when you get a $4 million office. Celebrity DJ Junior Vasquez, the 52-year old Manhattan nightclub veteran, is such a hot commodity that he got to design his new booth at Exit II, a Midtown nighclub.

"When it's finished, it will be the most expensive custom-made booth," boasted Vasquez, walking around the empty club in denim an a tan Abercrombie baseball cap.

The booth - on hydraulics so Vasquez can survey the crowd from all heights - is part of the establishment's $8 million facelift.

In the night-life world, superstar DJ's are akin to rock stars, and those of Vasquez's stature can command up to $90,000 a night.

But, can the legendary turn-tablist bring a chic, international scene to a space whose previous incarnations have drawn crowds, but not status?

When Exit opened last year, it was hot for about 48 hours.

The closing of the Limelight, Tunnel, and Twilo have certainly helped Exit II's chances to be the city's premeire dance spot.

But maintaining a loya clientele may be difficult - West 56th Street between 11th and 12th avenues is not exactly a stomping fround for Vasquez's downtown fans, who include ravers and Chelsea hipsters.

Even Vasquez admits it will be a challange. "I never thought about this place," he said. "There was always a stigma attatched to it - that it was a very bridge-and-tunnel, straight hangout."

A hip club is also a vew foray for owner David Marvesi esclusive right to the booth and a regular Saturday night party called Earth.

At first, Vasquez turned him down, but changed his mind after a visit to the massive, trilevel club, with its 16 plasma TV screens, waterfalls, house florist and pro kitchen.

"This is an amazing place," Vasquez was surveying the unfinished booth, which he said would be decorated by his friends, designers Dolce & Gabbanna.

Vasquez (ne Donald Mattern) has plenty of friends in this town. He's been on the Manhatten club scene since 1989, whenhe started spinning at the Sound Factory, which morphed into Twilo in 1997.

He also made a mark remixingdivas like Cher, Cyndi Lauper, Miriah Carey, Whitney Houston and Madonna, a close friend until they had a famous falling out when he used her voice on his answering maching for his track, "If Madonna calls."

Manhattan club owners said Vasquez is notorious for having technical requests - some even called him difficult.

He oversaw the construction of his booth, which in a month will have a whole lot more than turntables in it. The booth is practically a mini-club unto itself, with a VIP lounge for Vasquez's friends, a sink and a snack counter.

"I didn't want to rush the booth for opening." said Vasquez. "I wanted to feel it, see how it was going to be here and then build."

While $4 million sound like an awful lot to spend on a DJ booth, other city club owners predict the investment will pay off.

Amy Sacco, owner of Lot 61 and Bungalow 8, remembers Vasquez's fanslining up, six people deep, around the cornor from Twilo to hear him spin.

"If I had a club like that, I'd build him a system," she said of Exit II.

"I'm glad to know he's at Exit, now I can tell all my friends who have been crying over him not being at Twilo any more."

Lotus co-owner Mark Baker said the club, whose cover charge will be $30, won't have any problems paying Vasquez's bills.

"If 5,000 people are spending $40-$50 a head, you can afford to pay Junior a big chunk of change," Baker reasons.

"In big venues like Exit, it's all about big-name DJs."

Though it's hard to believe the club will be completed by this weekend, there's certainly a marked for an enormous dance party these days.

During the course of the evening, 10,000 of Vasquez's fans - nearly doubled the club's capacity - packed Exit II for its grand opening last Saturday.

On Sunday afternoon - while the party was still going on from the night before - Vasquez remembered pausing when he heard the U.S. had bombed

Afghanistan, but he felf a need to supply people with an escape.

"I get really down seeing the same things on the news constantly, and I'm freightened," said Vasquez.

"I think we need to dance and listen to music, but it's a little frightening. I get scared because anything can happen in a big place like this. But, we do have to party