Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Does the music make the Dj?

Originally posted by phuturephunk

. . The DJ makes the music. The invective comes from the DJ, who selects the records to produce a vibe that is important to him/her. . If you are ruled by your records, then you might as well be Louie DeVito. . .

hahahah

:laugh:

I love Louie Devito jokes...

I'd say you guys said it all........

sometimes I've heard DJ's who's musical tastes I didn't like, but their skills and overall programming worked and I was feelin it......other times I've heard DJ's spin my favorite tracks but if they can't mix or the programming isn't on, it doesn't do it for me.....its gotta be matched - like when you get a stereo, if you get the worlds best speakers and the worlds cheapest amp (or vice versa), the overall end result will suck....but if you get a medium quality amp and medium (matching quality) set of speakers, it will sound right....

I'm rambling......but the idea is - if you have great taste in music, you are 25% there.....if you are a good mixer, you're 35% there......if you're decent at each, you're like 75% there....the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.......

someone smack me

laider

Originally posted by msoprano13

the dj def makes the music...even if a dj plays old songs he can work it in a way by that the set is still sick...mixing skills play a big part here.lol...

definitely...DJing isnt about playing songs that are new..its about making people want to dance, making people feel so good on that dance floor that they are afraid to leave to go to the bathroom because they might miss something...

IMO, its all about energy levels....good DJs know how to take you on a rollercoaster ride throughout the night...not just slam a bunch of hard tracks one after the other...no matter how many pills you are on or how many Red Bulls you drank, youre going to get tired.....a good DJ understands that and takes you up, brings you down, takes you higher, brings you down, and then peaks you when the time is right

I was at Ohm the other night for Russ Reign... he knew exactly how to work the crowd...played music from old to the new, one after another, but if you knew the music you could follow the links...you knew what he was doing, and you understood the pattern...if you are someone like me who goes out and listens to every beat, every transition, etc, you are always waiting to hear what the DJ is going to do next, and Russ kept me on my toes with acapellas, volume tricks, and songs switches that kept me on the floor WAAAAAAAAAAY longer than my girl would have liked( she always gets turned on watching me dance:D )

the producer makes the music, but the DJ is the one who takes the creations of others and turns it into a performance, hopefully one to be remembered!

BG

Originally posted by ibclubbin

definitely...DJing isnt about playing songs that are new..its about making people want to dance, making people feel so good on that dance floor that they are afraid to leave to go to the bathroom because they might miss something...

IMO, its all about energy levels....good DJs know how to take you on a rollercoaster ride throughout the night...not just slam a bunch of hard tracks one after the other...no matter how many pills you are on or how many Red Bulls you drank, youre going to get tired.....a good DJ understands that and takes you up, brings you down, takes you higher, brings you down, and then peaks you when the time is right

I was at Ohm the other night for Russ Reign... he knew exactly how to work the crowd...played music from old to the new, one after another, but if you knew the music you could follow the links...you knew what he was doing, and you understood the pattern...if you are someone like me who goes out and listens to every beat, every transition, etc, you are always waiting to hear what the DJ is going to do next, and Russ kept me on my toes with acapellas, volume tricks, and songs switches that kept me on the floor WAAAAAAAAAAY longer than my girl would have liked( she always gets turned on watching me dance:D )

the producer makes the music, but the DJ is the one who takes the creations of others and turns it into a performance, hopefully one to be remembered!

BG

golf clap....well said

I think the most important thing about DJing is his interaction with the crowd. Many people can learn all the tricks to mixing, but what separates the great DJs from the rest is the ability to drop the right record at the right time. It's the ability to take the crowd on a musical journey. Of course, they have to be able to mix well, but the DJ's taste in music is sometimes more important. Overall, it's how you present the music, and what you do with it. A great combination of both will make someone an incredible DJ.

mikelac

Originally posted by mikelac

I think the most important thing about DJing is his interaction with the crowd. Many people can learn all the tricks to mixing, but what separates the great DJs from the rest is the ability to drop the right record at the right time. It's the ability to take the crowd on a musical journey. Of course, they have to be able to mix well, but the DJ's taste in music is sometimes more important. Overall, it's how you present the music, and what you do with it. A great combination of both will make someone an incredible DJ.

mikelac

definitly agree

example...turnmills on friday (yes i really need to shutup about this)

anyway bliss left off her set with the crowd pumping to sister siter, stringer and smoke machine...and then the next dj slowed it down...which killed the mood

the crowd went from people waving their hands/glowsticks in the air to kinda just bobbing their heads and slowly making their way off the floor...it took at least an hour until the crowd started pumping again (but only when the dj played msoke machine again)

I think the DJ makes the music...

People always like the dj's that spin their favorite type of genre in the best way....

The DJ picks the music he is going to spin as well where he is going to put high's and lows, and drop crazy, sick beats...a lot of times a DJ mixes another DJ's music in a better way...

Originally posted by phuturephunk

. . The DJ makes the music. The invective comes from the DJ, who selects the records to produce a vibe that is important to him/her. . If you are ruled by your records, then you might as well be Louie DeVito. . .

all of which is why DJ CRAZE IS THE FUCKING BIZZOMB.

that kid scratches and dices and slices it all up into itself.

to add my two cents...

a dj becomes a dj because he/she loves a particular

style of music and becomes obsessed enough

with it to collect enough records, learn how to

spin 'em, and then share the love.

so yes, music selection plays a pretty big role.

because it's what will show that dj's PASSION and DRIVE.

but equally important is the manner in

which that passion and drive is PRESENTED.

with SMOOTH fades and CRAZY CROSSOVERS

and WICKED SCRATCHES here and there.

Originally posted by thehacker

tru, but have you even HEARD dj craze LIVE?

i mean, shit dood, you obviously haven't

cuz if you had you wouldn't be even MENTIONING

those two chuckleheads from mars :half:

well thank you for insulting my taste, but no i havent heard him LIVE obviously...and yes maybe chuckleheads from mars..but turntablism is turntablism and those are prolly the top 3 guys out there....but off topic....u know that Dj Craze has his own Signature signed DJ needle for turntables? :laugh: the shit is like $100 sumen dollars for each needle and has his name signed and endorsed on each one.

Originally posted by thehacker

tru, but have you even HEARD dj craze LIVE?

i mean, shit dood, you obviously haven't

cuz if you had you wouldn't be even MENTIONING

those two chuckleheads from mars :half:

I just saw Craze live at Decadance a few weeks ago, he was pure insanity. We met him and my friend got his autograph.