Clubplanet Nightlife Community

The Eternal Debate

pod

There's something I've been meaning to ask you all. First a quick background.

I like some house

I like some trance

As long as I can dance to it and it's enjoyable, I really don't care where it falls.

I've noticed both sides of the fence resort to saying that the other is "boring", or "cheesy".

I have to ask those who are house or trance purists, what *really* don't you like about either genre?

Let the mayhem begin:blown:

Originally posted by pod

There's something I've been meaning to ask you all. First a quick background.

I like some house

I like some trance

As long as I can dance to it and it's enjoyable, I really don't care where it falls.

I've noticed both sides of the fence resort to saying that the other is "boring", or "cheesy".

I have to ask those who are house or trance purists, what *really* don't you like about either genre?

I like both house and trance quite a bit - I don't know why there is this increasing need to *choose* between the two.....and I'm not talking about you and this poll, pod, this is a good question! Let's hear it! Me, as I said, I have nothing negative to say about either genre. I like it all, right down to the cheesiest of "cheese trance" or the gay-est of "gay house" and of course everything in between. Give me my techno, my breaks, my d n b, ambient, whatever, I like it all.

Love both genres.

I like to listen to House, I think is more into music when you are talking about arrengements, composition etc,than any other electronic music genre, and Trance make my ass dance off even whit the dumbest track, like Derb-Derbus, the same phrase of 4 notes playing again and again.:)

The reason I like trance so much is that it gets me moving and fired up. I like some house but only when I want to sit down and chill, and I don't want to do that when I go out. Seriously, when I went and saw DT I couldn't dance. I couldn't get into it one bit. To me it was boring.

I know personally my taste is right in between......I'm as pathetic as a moderate republican. Every time I make up my mind to become a hard core house head, I'll hear a killer Mauro Picotto track. Everytime I think I'm ready to give trance another try, I find myself lovin' me some DJ Dan. What can I say- I'm a gemini....I have two personalities.

I dont particularly hate trance in any way, I just prefer house muzik. I think that trance has become a bit monotonous and is stuck in a rut with no progression. If I had a choice between trance and house, I'd pick house. I wont go and I havent gone out of my way to listen to a trance dj in over two years (since PvD in 99'). It's just not my cup of tea.

Originally posted by joeygk

I know personally my taste is right in between......I'm as pathetic as a moderate republican. Every time I make up my mind to become a hard core house head, I'll hear a killer Mauro Picotto track. Everytime I think I'm ready to give trance another try, I find myself lovin' me some DJ Dan. What can I say- I'm a gemini....I have two personalities.

I still like my trance. I still allow my AOL SN to be named after it, so I must! I just wish there were some more real quality TRANCE comps out there......like a pure trance comp that doesn't apologize for what it is, but still offers choice new tunes and decent mixing. The closest I can find to this is Seb F's prototype series........but even then his CD1s are often prog-ish. Is there a GU-quality, double CD set of pure trance with a capital T? If there is let me know.

My question is, how come no one around here gets excited about d n b? hehe

Originally posted by pod

I like some house

I like some trance

Exactly, i like both. If it sounds good enough to dance to (house or trance) then it's OK in my book. But, I still have to say HouZe MuZik is 4ever.

dnb just doesn't draw the clubgoing crowd. dnb is more of a rave style, or at best a lounge style. To be honest, I think it has to do with the age group really. I don't really know anyone over 21 that likes the style enough to want to go out for it.

Not for nothing, but it seems that that scene is detrimental to itself, I've noticed a lot of DnB heads are very rabid about it. You think trance and house purists are bad, just ask a DnB purist what he or she thinks about crobar or Space.

Originally posted by pod

dnb just doesn't draw the clubgoing crowd. dnb is more of a rave style, or at best a lounge style. To be honest, I think it has to do with the age group really. I don't really know anyone over 21 that likes the style enough to want to go out for it.

Not for nothing, but it seems that that scene is detrimental to itself, I've noticed a lot of DnB heads are very rabid about it. You think trance and house purists are bad, just ask a DnB purist what he or she thinks about crobar or Space.

This is true about the dnb purists......they are horrible. I don't know why people over 21 wouldn't like it, though - it can be pretty complex in a musical sense. Of course, this is part of the purist's gig - they always have to sneer at you about how complex it is in comparison to such "inferior" genres like house and trance.

I'd still like to hear some dnb on a big club soundsystem. LTJ Bukem for Crobar......how 'bout it? I'll go. hehe i love the more *atmospheric* dnb.....I only wish I had more of it.

although ive been dubbed by some as the sgt of trance..(dan) i do dig house musik also...in fact, ive been getting deep into house in my own personal DJing....the one thing i dont like is the "militant house-heads" that hate anything but thier chosen music, as sobeton said..if it moves your feet..dance your ass off.

Then you get the 18 year old purists who sneer at "you clubgoing folk" just because they get denied entry.

Complex is one thing. Go to Ishkur's site to see examples of good and bad in every genre, not just dnb. He points out the producers of DnB and breaks who just lay stuff down randomly, call it breaks, and make a few records.

I don't particularly hate trance BUT I don't love it.....I LOVE prog house and funky house music because I find that it simply has more soul to it.....I used to like trance but I guess I got bored of it.....don't get me wrong though, every once in a while I'll hear some kinda trance that I do like......I try my hardest to keep an open mind rather than bash it!!!! After all, it's ALL ELECTRONICA baby!!!!!:D

Originally posted by patrickl

This is true about the dnb purists......they are horrible. I don't know why people over 21 wouldn't like it, though - it can be pretty complex in a musical sense. Of course, this is part of the purist's gig - they always have to sneer at you about how complex it is in comparison to such "inferior" genres like house and trance.

I'd still like to hear some dnb on a big club soundsystem. LTJ Bukem for Crobar......how 'bout it? I'll go. hehe i love the more *atmospheric* dnb.....I only wish I had more of it.

patrick, hearin LTJ @ crobar would be great, but don't you think that 90% of the people would just stand there and stare? i've seen LTJ w/two different crowds. 21 & under - everyone danced. 21 & older - hardly anyone was dancin. i myself really enjoy some good dnb. and i have many friends who are dnb purists. they just don't want to deal w/the younger kids who don't have a clue about clubbing. and minus the fact that in dnb parties they usually push the system way too far. i remember in wmc '00 i went to the world of dnb party and my ears were ringing for the next 2 days!!! wtf is that? (that's what i was actually saying to everyone cuz i couldn't hear a thing).

Originally posted by pod

It's funny you should mention this Pod because Miami has been known for BASS. I think the main reason why DnB hasn't reached the club scene is because there isn't a club down here that has the system for it, except Liquid. Most DnB "purists" have some type of attraction to Hip Hop and Breaks thus seeing the ages that are into DnB in Miami.

If you have time to come up to CANDYLAND 6 @ Orbit on Dec 22, I can give you a taste of what DnB is all about. Let me know, you know you're always on my list.

Originally posted by patrickl

I think the big reason most DnB kids are like that is because they don't want to see DnB get watered down like House and Trance did. Although there are some really hard DnB tracks, I can understand why the general clubbing public in Miami isn't into some kickin Jump Up.

For 2 years I heard alot of people complaining about ULTRA not having more DnB besides LTJ Bukem and Roni Size. At ULTRA3 I pushed the top brass to put Bad Company on the main stage, at the peak of the night, at the place blew up like crazy. Ever since then DnB has really made a huge impact in the "RAVE" scene.

SPACE or LEVEL should really experiment with DnB and UKG - 2 Step because both clubs have a great Hip Hop room.

I don't remember when was my last favorite trance release. I think it was Two Full Moons and a Trout 98 remix by Union Jack. Anyways, whatever sounds good is fine.....good trance, good house...whatever.....I'm inclined towards the progressive house vibe these days just because I'm feeling it.....but it's all opinion.....

Originally posted by festivalcre8or

If you have time to come up to CANDYLAND 6 @ Orbit on Dec 22, I can give you a taste of what DnB is all about. Let me know, you know you're always on my list.

and if you go, you will see why DnB will never be popular in a miami club.

Clubs need to make money to stay in business. The door cover just can't cover the rent in Miami.

Try to get a drink at any of the miami clubs and you will notice the usuall wait at the bar.

Walk with in 10 ft of the bar at Orbit, and the three bartenders they have working will trip each other to get to you. Once they realize you tip, they will come get you out on the dance floor.

This is not an insult to the genre, I wish I was involved in something like that at that age (instead of fighting a fucking war :( ) I can appreciate the kidz and the sense of family they have, but the scene is exactly that, about the family vibe more than the music.

Originally posted by meng

I don't remember when was my last favorite trance release. I think it was Two Full Moons and a Trout 98 remix by Union Jack. Anyways, whatever sounds good is fine.....good trance, good house...whatever.....I'm inclined towards the progressive house vibe these days just because I'm feeling it.....but it's all opinion.....

i remember when i caught two trouts during a full moon. had me in a trance. :laugh: