Clubplanet Nightlife Community

College isn't for everyone?

i know tons of people that work on wall street as stock/bond brokers that have not gone to college.. they are making mad money doing it.. but it's hard to get into other fields w/o a degree.

a lot of CEOs from huge corporations also have not finished college, like Dave Thomas of Wendy's (RIP). but that was a different era and generation. a high school diploma back then was sufficient enough for a good living.

however, in this day and age, it is extremely difficult to climb the corporate ladder without that piece of paper (diploma).

call me an idiot- I was offered a job with the place i'm working part time at the last 3 years right after graduating HS- would have been making close to 80k/yr to start...my broke ass instead is sitting through english 1020 :) I figure just go, make the best of it, even if it sux, and you'll have something to fall back on later on in life...at least thats what i keep telling myself :D

bern

the "Manager of Data Base Development" @ my company never went to college, didn't even graduate H.S., I also know a stockbroker that never went to college...he started as a clerk, and worked his way up to broker....must be nice!

My friends are mostly all self employed and doing well. No college some no HS. I have a city job and a side job, my city job carries a nice salary and health insurance and my side job just lines my pockets. i make over 100 boxes of ziti year and work less than 40 hours.

School means shit you have got to hustle. Instead of learning how to to find the true meaning of a novel or history of the world, i learned some skills and some business tactics. I have 12 college credits from 3 semisters.

If you can learn a trade than maybe you don't need school.

BUt school is for somepeople not everyone

Originally posted by klohe

the "Manager of Data Base Development" @ my company never went to college, didn't even graduate H.S., I also know a stockbroker that never went to college...he started as a clerk, and worked his way up to broker....must be nice!

No qualifications needed to become a broker except passing the Series 7. I've known boxers that have ecome brokers. I was a broker myself for a very short period before I came to my senses. Most brokers are hurting right now. It's hard to sell anything in this market.

It took me a while to get through school. My regrets waisting 150,000 on going to it. Some people like myslf are more business oriented and take a longer time to find themselves.

There is a social morey in upper middle class america that your child must get a college degree and a bunch of other silly hooplah.

Get a degree or don't, but work hard at what ever you do. People fall victim to what others are doing and do not ask themselves what do I want. This is true in every aspect of life.

A crusade for happiness is what keeps us alive. If something in your path is not working for you take another road. Do not be afraid to take the road less traveled. "Robert Frost"

Originally posted by o-jay®

No qualifications needed to become a broker except passing the Series 7. I've known boxers that have ecome brokers. I was a broker myself for a very short period before I came to my senses. Most brokers are hurting right now. It's hard to sell anything in this market.

thanx for clarifying.....

No matter what you do, you need connections. I know guys in the union who invested well and have money flying out of their butt. But they needed connections to get into the union in the first place.

If you want to do anything corporate or business related, though, in this day and age you really do need that diploma.

Originally posted by Chrisbugg

Oh Yeah I almost forgot.

YOu have got to have connections.

It is more of 'WHO YOU KNOW' than "WHAT YOU KNOW"

as for corporate ladder, work hard earn lots of money and than you become the corporate ladder.

Who wants to climb

. . I like that mentality . . become that ladder . .cosmic . .

. . . . I never finished college and I find it unfortunate that many many young adults out there who don't get the typical TV/Movie stylized version of the college "experience" find themselves frustrated because they don't think that they can get into the upper echelons of power and prestige . . . The fact of the matter is, if you can earn and hustle, you're gold no matter how much book learning you've been through . . Certain professions, like engineering and mathematics . . hard science areas of study, NEED a solid learning background in a classroom environment . . Business is completely different . . . If you can speak articulately, and write about the same, you're good to go . . . Everything else is how quick witted you are and how much you absorb while on the job each day . . .

. . . . an interesting aside that backs this up . . . a few years ago, when I was still attending UF I was standing outside the B-School smoking a cigarette and this dude came up and asked me for a light . . . He asked me if I went to the school and I explained to him that I had hoped to gain admission before the end of my sophmore year . . . We started talking and he shared how he had graduated a decade before and gone on to build a successful company down in Miami and that he was here to pick up some plaque or thank you this-and-that that the school was giving him (he seemed kinda amused in a . . :rolleyes: . . kind of way) for donated a big sum of money . . . Make a long story short, I asked him if it was worth it . . . going to school and finishing and all . . and he said this : "Son, you don't know SHIT until you get out there, cause here . . all the variables are predictable. . " . .

. . . how right he was . . .

Originally posted by klohe

my wife's boss is a director at an IT company..didn't graduate h.s.

a director is like 1 or 2 steps down from v.p.

phuturephunk is right.. its who you know AND you have to know how to sell yourself

i learned that with the job i got now..the resume did it all for me..i put down so much bs n made it sound so good i got a job that i had absolutly no expierience in..

well that was then..we're goin thru our like millionth RIF(reduction in force)and i think i'm slated to go

corporate america sux

So this guys tells his Mom & Dad that he's going to drop out of Harvard to take up a job at IBM. At the time his parents thought he was making the biggest mistake in his life. That man was Bill Gates.

Its WHO & WHAT you know not what degree you have.

School means shit you have got to hustle.

OK not to sound like a fucking cornball , but school DOES NOT mean shit.

Yeah I hate going to school, but no matter what you participate it, you are going to learn something. It is going to make you a more intelligent person , provided you put some effort into it, in the long run.

I kinda feel what you are saying, I think there should be less Social Science,Math,English, requirements today and more focus on the field of study.

The other classes don't hurt, though.

Originally the university was built for those with MONEY and for the pure reason of Learning. Wanting to be knowlegeable. Now a days everyone goes for the sake of hoping to come out with a

degree that will make them money.

Its true It's All About Connections... Connections.. Connections..

and Connections.

It all depends on what you are expecting to gain from the college experience and what it is you want a diploma for.

Do you believe that spending thousands and thousands of $$ is worth the experience then go for it.

You need to think about the Learning Experience you will get.. meeting people, taking interesting courses, seeing different ways of life..

Dont think about what that degree will get you after..

You dont need it.. CONNECTIONS!!

Originally posted by legend38

OK not to sound like a fucking cornball , but school DOES NOT mean shit.

Yeah I hate going to school, but no matter what you participate it, you are going to learn something. It is going to make you a more intelligent person , provided you put some effort into it, in the long run.

I agree- education is important above and beyond the role it plays in your career... of course, college is not the only way to become educated. Still, if I had kids, I would push very strongly for them to attend college.

one of my best friends is allot smarter now compared to what brains he had when we were growin up..we used to bust on him all the time..we used to go to the same pool hall all the time n if he drove there 5 times straight he'd still get it wrong

he went to trade school..devry..while there looks at the job bulliten board and hooks up a part time at prudential..he dropped out of devry like 2 months later..didn't learn much but had a job in the field he was studying..now he works on servers and makes decent loot..he worked there for 10 years

i tell everyone lookin to go to some IT trade school to look for a job before you finish because you can get your training on the job and gettin paid for it instead of payin thousands for training

and to add, the best reason to go to a school is for connections.. which could also be the best reason NOT to go to school.

fuck my degree, as i could have gone to any old school to get that.

but i chose the school that i went to for the alums and that's how i got into the company i work for right now.

it's all about connections. you can build it through school or without. it's a matter of WHO you want to know: do you want to know the managing directors for the top 5 Investment Banks or do you want to know the union leaders of waste management in NYC? either way, you'll make mad money... right?

i personally have nothing against people that do go to school or that don't. truly, the smartest people i know are ones that have not gone to college.. and some of the dumbest people i know are from harvard.

Originally posted by sexyclubber01

College seriously isnt for everyone...after being at rutgers for 2yrs now I see it all around me.

yes and that's why i hated rutgers... spent 5 years in that sh*thole. yes there were great people there, great professors and great opportunities but they are so damn hard to find. i spent so many years searching for things that it was hard to do anything else.

at columbia its much different - you don't find too many people who were going there as a second choice or 'cause their parents made them or 'cause its cheap. its not exactly the end of the rainbow though - you have to deal with a lot of screaming elitist preppy assholes who think they are god's gift to the world.

no answers, only choices.

The over $100k I've spent on my undergrad education at Miami, and my law education at Fordham was worth every damn penny I borrowed and spent. I wouldn't trade it for anything, both from the standpoint of preparing me to enter into a profession, from the standpoint that it made me a more well rounded person, and giving me the best years of my life, especially my undergrad years. Just my $.02

People will or will not go to college for various reasons. College can be a great opportunity to exapnd your horizons and to learn more about what you might want to do with your life. Some people already know what they want to do and if it doesn't require a college education (like stock broking was mentioned, and also a lot of IT jobs), then they might not want to attend. But I think some of the benefits of going to college (even though it has a lot of disadvantages) are - leadiing a relatively free and independent lifestyle (because you have the parents, but not really), meeting a whole lot of new people who may have similar interests to you, learning about things that may interest you (I'm taking an eroticism in Rennaisance class now), and as mentioned before, making all those important connections that will help you later on in life.

And dialectics, sorry you feel that Columbia is full of " a lot of screaming elitist preppy assholes who think they are god's gift to the world." My undergrad experiences so far have not been quite the same, although I must admit the occasional "know it all", but what school doesn't have those?

Originally posted by dub16

And dialectics, sorry you feel that Columbia is full of " a lot of screaming elitist preppy assholes who think they are god's gift to the world."

on the contrary - my columbia experience has been quite positive. in fact, i've decided to extend my 2 year program for another 3 and get my phd there.

i only brought that up to show that there is noplace that's perfect - only the place that's imperfections don't really bother you that much.

peaz,

rob

ps it would be cool to meet other clubbers over there... what do u study?