Clubplanet Nightlife Community

i think 75% of clubbers/promoter do not have a clue...

could it be that americans buy music based on how looks good, not how the music sounds. i mean cmon britney spears is not that good a singer. but look at like judge jules or tenaglia, or other djs, for the most part they dont look good, so there stuff dont sell. jonny viscious is the exception, his fabioesque looks keep him popular(jk, but u gotta love the hair)

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

still what i am gathering from people is that all this sick music that strictly released.

music carries a label

and the DJ's/artist carry a label.

so ferry carries tsunami and so does his releases

he owns the label

but what does that have to do with the business end

he does not do the business end

he does the msuic end

the states dance labels dont have the names carrying them and putting out the good music with the exception of a few

ie creamer, satoshie, etc

so the states producers need to diversify if we do not have enough big house artists/techno artists carring them

but we promoters and radio support to get that going

Originally posted by t0nythelover

could it be that americans buy music based on how looks good, not how the music sounds. i mean cmon britney spears is not that good a singer. but look at like judge jules or tenaglia, or other djs, for the most part they dont look good, so there stuff dont sell. jonny viscious is the exception, his fabioesque looks keep him popular(jk, but u gotta love the hair)

~~umm i love JP and he is anything but good looking pvd is almost God and he is not that cute either...Tiesto is a diffrent story hot and talented :love2: but i will listen to watever dj i like not the one that looks good....i wish our society was more like that this way we would only get the true talent *sigh*

Actually, I think you're missing the point, Buredf.

I'm thinking you're wondering why the electronic music scene's not as prominent as it is over in Uropa. And labels going down has nothing to do with the state of electronic music in the states, but it has everything to do with how they're received by US audiences.

Let's face it, the problem with the electronic music scene is the US consumer population, not the music.

And though I like trance (dammit Dyanna!!! :cuss: ), its heyday was back in 98-2000. Nowadays, it's hard to find a lot of good trance tracks.

Buredf- Forget about Strictly Rhythm for a minute. I thought we were focusing on the NY scene as a whole. Your argument would hold water only if NY djs were only playing American-produced tracks. They are not! They are also spinning tracks off of the "superior" European labels as well. Not that I'm saying it wouldn't be great to know that we were producing the sickest tracks from here in the States. Just that, what matters more to the "scene" is what the people hear, not necessarily where it comes from.

Even so, that still only deals with the quality of music being played... again, that has nothing to do with the quality of the crowd, or the vibe they bring...

First you're talking specifically abt trance, then specifically abt the scene, then specifically abt labels... Sorry dude, but your argument is all over the place here!

there is a LOT of great music coming out of the states….Labels like Classic, Nightshift, Tango, Saw, Addictive, and more….(is tango domestic?) and plenty of great domestic DJ’s……and I think its to our credit that we’re not on the commercial tip in much of our scene…..

You're kidding me right? A lot of the worlds top DJs somehow look good. Don't believe me? Ask girls who are into Dance music what they think of Tiesto, Ferry Corsten, Sasha, or Jimmy Van M in terms of looks. Same thing for a lot of big name girl DJs like Sandra Collins, DJ Rap, Baby Anne, or Mea.

It's not that the "good looks" factor isn't there in a lot of cases, but in DJ land you usually either have to prove yourself also in terms of production, turntable skills, and off course track selection.

What really sets America and Europe apart are things like transportation and drinking restrictions. You don't have to be 21 to drink in Europe. Therefore usually every city has a lot of 18+ clubs. In some cases there's also a good number of 16+, 21+, and 25+ clubs. Europeans tend to start clubbin at a very early age (some clubs are for the 12+ crowds, and don't just play Top 40 hits). Europeans have a club and DJ culture that starts at a pretty early age. In America a lot of people don't even go to a real club until they hit 21.

NYC has a pretty good public transportation system, but its still not as good as that offered in Europe. It's still better than the crummy transportation system you find in most American cities. You need a car to get by almost anywhere in America...which means some people won't be getting drunk if they want to. Not that everyone that goes clubbin in Europe gets drunk, but there aren't as many barriers as there are in the States.

You also touched upon radio. European radio, especially on the weekends, gets pretty Dance friendly, and some stations aren't afraid of even exposing the sounds of the underground on air during primetime. That's one reason why new sounds and trends hit the mainstream faster in Europe.

Lastly, the American malls are actually part of the problem. Have you ever been to the main streets of large European cities? Walked inside to some of the fashion stores in Amsterdam for example? You've got unbelievably awesome, trendy, high quality clothes for some very reasonable prices. What do you have in America? In every mall you usually see an Old Navy, Abercrombie & Fitch, or The Gap. These stores are much more conservative in nature then the stores in Europe. They make every mall look the same, and too conservative. This in term has effects the mainstream society to act more conservative than it perceives itself to be. Places like Manhattan are the exception in America, but even in Manhattan a lot of good stores are too pricey, or considered too high fashion for most.

You add all these facts in together, and you might begin to understand the differences between America and Europe.

Originally posted by CHRles

NYC has a pretty good public transportation system, but its still not as good as that offered in Europe. It's still better than the crummy transportation system you find in most American cities. You need a car to get by almost anywhere in America...which means some people won't be getting drunk if they want to. Not that everyone that goes clubbin in Europe gets drunk, but there aren't as many barriers as there are in the States.

uhh...London and Paris subways (err...tubes) close by 1am....not exactly a model of a good transport system

do you hear as much house in europe as you do trance in America. I dont really know the relationship between europe and here in their music tastes cept that trance is bigger there. but myeb there are folks like yourself in europe who are whinning about the lack of house there and are sick of trance. if you want trance. there is plenty of it. BOO 7 . there is ya trance. there are enough raves and enough trance dj club nights to keep a person into trance very happy. i love trance. i do. i love house too. there is a decent amount of everything to make me happy in ny.

ok sasha and those other guys are like the minority, how many people can even name these dj's when they see them, not many, but show any fool britney spears or ricky martin and they know who they are. hell, even no talent fools like christina milian act like they are celebrities just cuz they look good and are on tv. point is these djs just arent as marketable because of their looks, i really doubt that the market for house/trance music is not out there. look at someone like amber, complete cheez garbage, but sooo many people know her cuz shes hot, not cuz her music is that great, in fact it sux.

I totaly agree with you.

i am a person that was originally brought up with House and hey I will never knock it. But I like Trance now. I love the way it makes me think and feel.

The diversity in the world is refreshing.

The U.S, well we started the whole thing. So kudos to us.

Europe is fantastic but NY and Miami can be great too. At least the DJ's come to spin here..things could be worse .

everyone, the media...etc is concentrating on the "Rave scence" and "E" which makes me feel sick..

And i am sure you guys know what i mean.. i mean we all know there is a lot more going on other than "E".. you know..what about the jars, and the hits... if you get my drift.

KTU is disgusting... They don't play house or Trance in the one of the best cities in the world. We have these great clubs and our radio stations SUCK.

Party 105 is a little more like it.

The knowledge in the United States SUCKS.. I mean i have friends who refer to house, trance, tribal, jungle... they refer to it as TECHNO.

That is like to late 80's and early 90's....

Well I am gettin sick with all these thoughts..

Originally posted by buredf

ok but you guys are missing the point

why is the NY scene not the same as in Europe

whether its house or trance the US dance scene is not what it is in europe

and the people are not buying the music like they are in europe

thats been the main premise of this

so does it really matter what kind of music it is

trance/house

It's because Europe had rave music instead of Gangsta Rap...this stuff goes way back, and it's a little late to change the entire country's attitude now...

Either way, I think it's already fairly obvious that electronic dance music will never be that mainstream in the US, so just quit complaining about that end of it. If you want to hear trance, throw a party for it.

As for KTU, feel lucky. There are only a few markets in the country that play dance music on a regular basis at all. Try moving somewhere where the only choices on the radio are easy listening, pop, rock, hip hop and country.

seperation of the minds.

I love the fact that our music {trance/house} is not mainstream because i know that a lot of the people that liek it LOVE it.. and there are a lot of people like me that are extremely loyal.. I mean electronica is my life.. I refuse 2 listen to hip hop.

you knwo why our music isn;t mainstream because there are only a few minds out there with the same mental capacity to enjoy quality music that can make your head spin, your thoughts materialize, in our music i have seen this total Utopia.. {and i am not refering to anything related to drugs}

I like the connection that i feel with my fellow music lovers, ther are few and far btwn but when i listen to my music and a fellow lover comnes by and hears my headphones and comments we have the deepest of conversations.

i rather have that. then a lot of people that are not really into it.

in my mind like people from the burbs like me singing about the ghetto.. we have no idea about the ghetto, and it all seems so fake when i see peope that went to school with me sing about it like they know it. that may have seemed off topic but i am sure a few of you know what i mean

Originally posted by jjcbebe

seperation of the minds.

I love the fact that our music {trance/house} is not mainstream because i know that a lot of the people that liek it LOVE it.. and there are a lot of people like me that are extremely loyal.. I mean electronica is my life.. I refuse 2 listen to hip hop.

you knwo why our music isn;t mainstream because there are only a few minds out there with the same mental capacity to enjoy quality music that can make your head spin, your thoughts materialize, in our music i have seen this total Utopia.. {and i am not refering to anything related to drugs}

I like the connection that i feel with my fellow music lovers, ther are few and far btwn but when i listen to my music and a fellow lover comnes by and hears my headphones and comments we have the deepest of conversations.

i rather have that. then a lot of people that are not really into it.

in my mind like people from the burbs like me singing about the ghetto.. we have no idea about the ghetto, and it all seems so fake when i see peope that went to school with me sing about it like they know it. that may have seemed off topic but i am sure a few of you know what i mean

interestin an i totally agree with u bout the whole click with another mosic lover... share knowledge bout it an what tony the lover says i agree too i mean looks plays an IMPORTANT part in us media meanin that if u look good it earns u points an ppl look the other way especially if u can t sing

Trance will live in NYC!!!!That's a promise,I am ABSOLUTELY determined to make sure that it does,and I will stop at nothing!!!

Please be patient with me,and I will keep everyone who supports trance updated...

Look out for my future events...

Fiercia Rox:cool:

Originally posted by brickhouse

It's because Europe had rave music instead of Gangsta Rap...this stuff goes way back, and it's a little late to change the entire country's attitude now...

Either way, I think it's already fairly obvious that electronic dance music will never be that mainstream in the US, so just quit complaining about that end of it. If you want to hear trance, throw a party for it.

As for KTU, feel lucky. There are only a few markets in the country that play dance music on a regular basis at all. Try moving somewhere where the only choices on the radio are easy listening, pop, rock, hip hop and country.

. . . correct . . .

imho, problem in ny, is not the kind of music, its the kind of people involved in the club scene. not all, but most promoters are bullshit, dime a dozen people, non-professional, jerks. couple that with a cheezy ny population(not all), and you wind up with crap. its all about the people, energy involved.

Originally posted by zz6

imho, problem in ny, is not the kind of music, its the kind of people involved in the club scene. not all, but most promoters are bullshit, dime a dozen people, non-professional, jerks. couple that with a cheezy ny population(not all), and you wind up with crap. its all about the people, energy involved.

. . correct . . .

. . . . New York, quite frankly, isn't greatful enough for the potential it posesses . . .

Originally posted by phuturephunk

. . . . . House house house house , bam bam bam bam. . . (yeah, I'm in asshole mode today ;) ) . . . . New York is an isolated circuit, that's all I got to say. . . .

Breaks Breaks... BreaksBreaks

Boom Tss.... BoomTss.

DrumBeat I learned in 4th grade. That goes for Jungle too ;)

Music and Politics don't mix, children. Don't you know?:D