Clubplanet Nightlife Community

PvD calls out Edgar V!!!

quest4sunrise

Originally posted by saleen351

Some facts:

First off saying tiesto and pvd were the biggest money makers is not true. I really don't know the numbers

how can you say something is not true, and then say I really don't know the numbers. .:confused::D Nick L.P. is a very astute business man, he wouldn’t be bring in talent ,that he knows he won’t make money on. naturally he would make more money; without having to incur the cost of guest talent. assuming the in house talent, can do the same numbers as the guest talent. conversely he’s not losing money ,when he brings in guest talent either. since neither you nor I know L.P.’s breakeven point, we can only make assumptions.;)

in any case Trance will always have an audience, it’s part of the fabric that makes up dance music. as you and I know peoples taste in genres of dance music, shift about as often as the wind. Can a club owner make money off a trance night ? of course they can; just as much as they could if they had a Disco, Freestyle, etc night. it’s simply a matter of keeping expenses to a minimum, and bringing in a sufficient amount of people to cover your overhead, and becoming a promoting guru. :)

imo a venue like Space would do well with a varying theme night ( Trance, Disco, Freestyle,DNB, etc) once a week on lets say Friday. :cool:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by sobeton

imo a venue like Space would do well with a varying theme night ( Trance, Disco, Freestyle,DNB, etc) once a week on lets say Friday. :cool:

You think Space could make some $$ off of drum & bass? I think that would be badass. Like, that clear D n' B, not the hard, pounding jungle. I don't think AK1200 or Dieselboy would pull an overall crowd of L.P.'s liking, but I am not L.P. so I can only speculate. Well, I know I'd come out for that, anyways. It would be a nice change of pace

Guest saleen351

how can you say something is not true, and then say I really don't know the numbers. .:confused::D Nick L.P. is a very astute business man, he wouldn’t be bring in talent ,that he knows he won’t make money on. naturally he would make more money; without having to incur the cost of guest talent. assuming the in house talent, can do the same numbers as the guest talent. conversely he’s not losing money ,when he brings in guest talent either. since neither you nor I know L.P.’s breakeven point, we can only make assumptions.;)

in any case Trance will always have an audience, it’s part of the fabric that makes up dance music. as you and I know peoples taste in genres of dance music, shift about as often as the wind. Can a club owner make money off a trance night ? of course they can; just as much as they could if they had a Disco, Freestyle, etc night. it’s simply a matter of keeping expenses to a minimum, and bringing in a sufficient amount of people to cover your overhead, and becoming a promoting guru. :)

if they would only put freestyle on the patio for trance fridays and old school rap in the hip hop room on trance fridays, then you may see me there... but the status quo sucks!!!!!!!!!

ps i hear its 20k to open up the club every night... But its evident space is feeling the heat and so are the other clubs, and suprise suprise, things are being changed up all of a sudden... Its capitalism at its finest... In the end, us the consumer wins...

ALL TRENDS START IN AMEIRCA

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

yeah dude, that's why Macarena got to America like 3 years afetr i heard it in my lil "third world country", hahahaha....

If by trends you mean exploiting an artform, well yes, america is #1.

60% OF ALL PORSHES COME TO AMERICA. WE BUY 50% OF THE OIL FROM THE MIDDLE EAST ETC ETC ETC.

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhh, that's something to be proud of right????

hahaha, you also own the entire world by terrorizing all other countries....heheh, it's clear why this happen, just reading at your posts I know the kind of people most americans are, self-centred, highly dogmatic and may i say, exaggerated consumers...

Pick UP THE JOURNAL ONE DAY, READ THE NY TIMES, GET A CLUE.

I seem to have more clue than you, you think everything is material right??? well, good luck trying to live in this toxic wasteland your KING has created.

Why do we let Saleen get us all worked up every single time someone on the board gives props to trance? F*ck him and whatever he has to say about trance!

The point of this thread was to congratulate the man - EDGAR V!

Who by the way loves all music. Unlike many of you, myself included, Edgar doesn't limit his musical tastes. He expands himself by listening, playing and creating different music. He deserves this and has spent many years trying to get to this point. You go boy! Much love!

Why do we let Saleen get us all worked up every single time someone on the board gives props to trance? F*ck him and whatever he has to say about trance!

It's not about letting him work us up, IF He has an opinion, So do we!!!

Forums are for discussions....in fact, i think saleen's posts are fun because they incite ideal wars....:tongue: :tongue:

PEace.

Originally posted by tranzwhore

The point of this thread was to congratulate the man - EDGAR V!

Who by the way loves all music. Unlike many of you, myself included, Edgar doesn't limit his musical tastes. He expands himself by listening, playing and creating different music. He deserves this and has spent many years trying to get to this point. You go boy! Much love!

Thank you, I was wondering when we were going to get back to the topic at hand

I have to agree with saleen about Picotto. His style is more techno/tribal then trance. But for me trance is were it begain. Cosmic Gate, Acosta,Tracid Track,The song French Kiss, any thing on the bonsi table, fuck I was loven life. I loved to hear EV play, i do miss his style at space, when i go. If you pick up any of the over seas mags You will see hard core trance and candy ravers are on the rise. Will it make it over here, Sure it will. I give it untill the wmc. that will set the trend for the following year. The only thing I see that may hinder it is the govermental issues.

First off....Edgar deserves PVD's praise and then some....I for one enjoy Edgar's sets more than I do PVD or Tiesto for that matter...Edgar is open to all types of dance music and it shows in his sets and production....

On the other hand....

I hope you guys are kidding when you say things like....

"TRANCE IS THE BACKBONE OF DANCE MUSIC"

"TRANCE IS WHERE IT BEGAN"

Edgar himself, along with Acosta, Padilla and all the other local Trance kings all began their careers playing house....we can argue wether techno or house is the backbone....but Trance is definitely not it....Trance is more like the tail-bone...lol...JK!

Trance is a huge part of dance music....and is by far the biggest trend to come around in ages....it has produced superstar DJs with rockstar-like groupies....it is constantly on the radio (93.1) and it is played in all the main-stream clubs locally....It's following definitely tends to be younger but it is not limited to that...

As far as Space.....I have never seen more people at Space than the night of Danny Tenaglia's WMC party......except maybe Deep Dish's WMC party...and before you give me the WMC excuse....PVD played at Space for WMC and didnt even come close in attendance...not to mention Housessions on Saturdays has been going strong for over 2 years now with nearly 3000 people every week....

And as far as Edgar coming back to Space.....that is happening real soon.....I just hope this time you guys put your money where your mouth is and come support him....Remember, Trancemissions (as Fridays were originally known) was the biggest night at Space for a long time......what happened?? where did everybody go?? I hope to see all of you in full effect this time supporting one of our very best....Edgar V. Don't let a good thing go to waste again....."you don't know what you've got till it's gone!"

paz,

O.G.:D

I have to agree with oscar- everybody does need to put their $$$ where their mouth is- edgar is the shiznit, go support him, spend some cash and louis will have him there as much as all of you want on that one condition. those trancemission nights were some of the craziest and best times i have had in this city, and there were not really any nights that i missed with edgar at the helm.

and yes, i prefer edgar over tiesto, money irrelevant

we got your back edgar....time to crank it up again:2guns:

Originally posted by georgeacasta2

This is so true! Good point. It all started in the Chicago warehouse right after disco with Frankie Knuckles and Tiesto back in the 70's.

:laugh: :laugh: ...i remember those early years, feels like it was yesterday...it was Studio 54 in NYC and Shadow Lounge in SOBE pumping out this "backbone of dance music"...:laugh: :laugh:

I just wanted to say congrats to Edgar for the acknowledgement in DJ mag. It is well deserved and I can't wait for you to get your ass back on the decks :dj: at Space!

Just thought I would attach a Genre Map of dance music that was posted on Tranceaddict

Check it out, its pretty cool...and shows that trance wasnt where it began, i hate to say it ;) but it started with house/techno right here in the US!

LOL, GA2 you never cease to amuse me.

I think people are confusing German electro with German Trance here. It was after all German acts like Kraftwerk and Georgio Moroder who had an influence on both Detroit Techno and Chicago House music.

To say Trance music is the backbone of Dance music is definitely stretching it a bit too far, but I like what Oscar G. wrote about it:

"Trance is a huge part of dance music....and is by far the biggest trend to come around in ages....it has produced superstar DJs with rockstar-like groupies....it is constantly on the radio (93.1) and it is played in all the main-stream clubs locally....It's following definitely tends to be younger but it is not limited to that..."

As for Saleen, I don't think basic economics applies here. Not everything is all black and white. European Trance DJs were doing very well even before 99 when Trance exploded in America.

You mentioned California, where both L.A. and San Francisco were amongst the first cities in the US to have both a Trance and a Progressive House scene (especially San Francisco) way before 1999.

The real money in Dance music is actually moreso in Europe then it is in America, and especially in the UK. Superclubs, superstar DJs, the classification of different genres, where do you think the hype and fanbase really builds up? It's the UK, which often times has a much greater appreciation for American House music then most of America's club scenes.

In Europe you've got events like the Love Parade in Berlin, Inner City in Amsterdam, all the big festivals in the UK (like Cremfields), the most famous and established club nights in the world (Ministry of Sound, Slinky, etc.), and Europe has this little island called Ibiza. What does America really have on a large scale outside of the WMC?

Sales for Dance music have always been bigger in Europe ever since disco died in America. Sure in the early 80s a big part of urban America was trying to embrace the newer technoligical based Dance music...up until the point when MTV became this huge medium in the mid 80s (the station started out in the early 80s, but it took a few years to become popular). Club culture as well, has always had a much stronger presence in Europe then in America. So this whole econ 101 business is not all that relevant here.

Back to Trance music, it started out in the early 90s and unlike Hip House, UK 2 Step, Happy Hardcore, Jungle (not Drum N Bass, but the original Jungle sound from around 94), and other forms, Trance has managed to keep growing and widening its fanbase. Yes, some people who were listening to Trance music a couple of years ago are now turned off by it, but you can say the same thing about some former fans of traditional House, Progressive, or Breaks.

Trance is a broad term that includes Hard Trance, Psychedelic Trance, Driving Trance, Tech Trance, Progressive Trance, Epic Trance, Euro-Trance, Melodic Trance, etc. Some forms of Trance have evolved out of Techno, Euro, House, or Breaks, even Happy Hardcore, and some of it has influenced the aforementioned genres. Love it or hate it, Trance is far from being dead. Anyone that tells you otherwise just doesn't have their facts straight.

What makes Edgar unique is his versitility! He can throw down some seriously sick sets! And than a week later, he's making my chic wiggle all over the dance floor with some sexy vocals! And at any given time, he can change things up again with a good house set. He style has no limits. I congratulate him on his past, present and future successes! I am excited to hear his new songs. Thank you Edgar for expanding my musical horizons! Much love.

Guest saleen351

wow, all the kind words and praising from pvd to cpers makes you wonder why this guy couldn't pack space any more.....:confused:

MAYBE CAUSE TRANCE SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by saleen351

wow, all the kind words and praising from pvd to cpers makes you wonder why this guy couldn't pack space any more.....:confused:

Don’t rain on Edgar’s parade. ;)

friday’s for clubbing in miami sucks in general. short of putting a guest DJ in Space every friday, you won’t do the numbers.doesn’t matter if it’s Edgar or Oscar spinning.. doesn't matter if it's house, trance, or hip hop. all those formats have been tried on friday, without much success. for some bizarre reason people will come out, to see a guest DJ on a friday night, but not the house DJ. it’s a bizarre phenomenon, but that’s the state of our scene right now. hopefully this starts to change soon.. :cool:

Guest saleen351

Don’t rain on Edgar’s parade. ;)

friday’s for clubbing in miami sucks in general. short of putting a guest DJ in Space every friday, you won’t do the numbers.doesn’t matter if it’s Edgar or Oscar spinning.. doesn't matter if it's house, trance, or hip hop. all those formats have been tried on friday, without much success. for some bizarre reason people will come out, to see a guest DJ on a friday night, but not the house DJ. it’s a bizarre phenomenon, but that’s the state of our scene right now. hopefully this starts to change soon.. :cool:

in no way am I knocking edgars skills, I met the dude and he was cool... But its his genre, but I know I know, he isn't a "trance" dj per se. But perception is truth, and for the most part he is known for trance... Which is why him and many others don't do well except in the uk and europe...

I would love to see a mad myles type of dj play space... Not sure what you call his style, but if you want some of the sickest beats, ask around for his KTU set during the Jhonny vicious show... The best ktu set I'v ever heard.... He had that little hit:

mad myles - adrenaline rush.mp3 < which reminds me, OG put this on my request list... I"m bringing a copy next time I see you spin... :)