Clubplanet Nightlife Community

U.S. bans ephedra

mala

It just pisses me off that we now will have to treat Stackers and Ultimate Orange like Juice.

Ephedra products have been around for more than 10 years now. I played college ball back in the early 90's and I used to take MaHuang (EPHEDRINE) before games, (before the NCAA Banned it ofcourse:D ).

Many articles sited the reasons behind the Ban was 153 deaths related to Ephedra. I don't know though, when you have tens of thousands of people using a supplement, and 153 people die not as a result but as a contributing factor... That just doesn't sound all that dangerous to me.

Originally posted by cybouncer

It just pisses me off that we now will have to treat Stackers and Ultimate Orange like Juice.

Ephedra products have been around for more than 10 years now. I played college ball back in the early 90's and I used to take MaHuang (EPHEDRINE) before games, (before the NCAA Banned it ofcourse:D ).

Many articles sited the reasons behind the Ban was 153 deaths related to Ephedra. I don't know though, when you have tens of thousands of people using a supplement, and 153 people die not as a result but as a contributing factor... That just doesn't sound all that dangerous to me.

I agree with everything except the 10 years. Ma Huang has been used by the Chinese for over 4000 years to treat asthma symptons, with good results I might add.

As far as the deaths go. It is a scape goat. For example, the football player - dude weighed over 350 lbs and was practicing in 100 F temperatures, the ephdra was irrelavent to his situation. Most other deaths, which were mentioned, had other contributing factors, from anything from preexisting conditions, to alchohol to coke.

But, if it helps add votes to our politians, so be it.

Nautica

Originally posted by elitesnautica

I agree with everything except the 10 years. Ma Huang has been used by the Chinese for over 4000 years to treat asthma symptons, with good results I might add.

Sorry, you're right.

I meant ephedra products have been marketed comercially for 10 years.

can't we protest this or something? write a letter to our local congressmen or some shit???

lets get real, theres plenty of dangerous substances that are legal that don't have ANY positive effects... i thought the beauty of america was the fact that we can CHOOSE to take risks aslong as all the facts are present???

can't they just slap a HUGE warning label on the bottle with skull and crossbones that says "HEART MAY GO BOOM" in big letters and only sell it to 18+ yr olds?

i mean, comon... if cigarettes can be legal, pretty much everything short of narcotics have an argument....

Originally posted by joeg

can't we protest this or something? write a letter to our local congressmen or some shit???

lets get real, theres plenty of dangerous substances that are legal that don't have ANY positive effects... i thought the beauty of america was the fact that we can CHOOSE to take risks aslong as all the facts are present???

can't they just slap a HUGE warning label on the bottle with skull and crossbones that says "HEART MAY GO BOOM" in big letters and only sell it to 18+ yr olds?

i mean, comon... if cigarettes can be legal, pretty much everything short of narcotics have an argument....

:nopity::boohoo::nopity::boohoo::nopity::boohoo:

Some ephedra critics, accepting every report of a death "linked" to the stimulant at face value, offer higher fatality estimates. According to Public Citizen's Sidney Wolfe, for instance, there have been 155 ephedra-related deaths.

But even this number is remarkably low given how many people have used ephedra. Until the recent bad publicity cut into sales, the industry estimated that 12 million to 17 million Americans were taking around 3 billion doses a year.

Compare Wolfe's estimate of 155 ephedra-related deaths over a decade or so to the deaths associated with other widely used drugs in a single year. In 1999, the Drug Abuse Warning Network's compilation of medical examiners' reports included 811 mentions for Valium, 641 for Benadryl, 427 for Tylenol, 305 for Prozac and 104 for aspirin

**My point exactly**