Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Roger Sanchez at Spirit last nite!

from 1030 till 648 the man had me dancing to some great HOUSE music. CROWD was terrible. Holy crap guido out the ass and clones everywhere but i guess they need somethign to do b4 black. Roger was having a blast from what i saw and even remembered mefrom begin the first one on the dancefloor. Lots of good tunes 3 arc heads and no vibe. But i make my own vibe and enjoy the music. So far havent like any night ive been to spirit, but will go again on the 8th for david morales and the 21 for satoshi tomiie and hector romero.

I completely agree. The crowd SUCKED. Way too many guidos. Roger Sanchez was really good though. I'll only go back to spirit if a really good dj is there.

o and silverbull was the highlight of my night ;):tongue:

It was my first time there, so I don't know if that was a normal crowd, but damn! While the S-man was great (lot's o hits!), the sound and vibe sucked. Drunk fuckers everywhere, barely anyone was dancing (except Silverbull ;) ), and a bad guy:girl ratio (my girl was getting groped WAY more than "normal"). This all got better around 4ish when the drunks went home (my favorite was hearing some guy find out his bottle service bill was 2400 dollars!:eek: )

Overall, I made it a fun nite and danced it out, but I'm kinda spoiled by some of the "music fan" heavy crowds I've seen lately at parties and smaller clubs. My theory is that w/ all the club closings/openings/residency shakeups, people are trying to find a new "home"...but I wouldn't have thought a place like Spirit (or a DJ like Sanchez, for that matter) would made a good replacement for clubs like SF or exit.

Love to all!

I can not belive I missed the S man agian. When will he be back I know once Ibiza starts he wont be in the city. I will be at Spirit next week in my best guido clone suit so the door guy can let me in.

Ive been going for a while there i didnt go this Sat but i went last sat. Went there to see sanchez the first time saw les, morales and all in all its the same. NO VIBE. Its like one big lounge. Club is sick, sick setup. The crowd used to be insane witha lot of girls now there is too many guys going there in wolve packs thinking they gunna go to a club find girls and get laid.

spent 11: -2 am at a party in soho. many vodka/rockstars and a couple dances so I was warmed up, buzzed and loose by the westside hiway cab to 27th st.

went right up to rope, bypassing line of...40 people? nice doorguy let me right in.

cashier girl wasnt honoring guestlists, I knew it closed at 1/1:30 so no dispute. $25.

coatcheck fast, no prob.

up the stairs. I entered via the hiphop room. big mistake. incredibly crowded (2:30 I guess) one of most disgusting NJ/guido crowds ive seen. disgusting. and elbow to elbow. insane, and just appalling guys & some revolting NJ girls.

after about 5 minutes in theis crowd found staircase downstairs.

interestingly, well atended main floor but not brutally packed like hiphop room. took 5 mins to get bartender attention but staff at spirit is professional & well mannered. $10 absoluts a bit high but hey $8- $10 whats the diff. compared to my previous spirit night [morales a month ago] this saturday was more crowded- the weather brought the B&T out I think.

found my usual spot in the front under or beside the DJ set up.

roger sanchez already well underway [at least an hour Id guess]. he was into some melodic vocal house, actually a lot of the NYC style pop-commercial-melodic house that Morales plays/produces. In some cases Roger S had different, and eveen better, mixes of some of Morales big hit tunes.

Roger S had the vibe, he was smiling energetic & really seemed to be speaking to the crowd with his music. pretty much high energy house all night. the dancers in my area near the booth were into it. in fact the energy was pretty damn good. maybe it was my vegetarian diet or the accumulation of a night of vodka & energy drinks, but I was pretty much dancing all the way from 2:30 - til 5:30-6: I was into sanchez' music & in the front there were some fun dancers. as I walked around a bit on the edges like the leather sofas downstairs I saw more sedentary/NJ types. I cant really generalize about the dancers in the front except we seemed to know a lot of the tunes and they were into it. I guess best to call them NYC house fans? there were a few cute girls. there were also a few too many guido guys on the floor. they do seem to stand around a lot and admire themselves and sometimes make stupid gorilla remarks to each other-- actually my vibe was so up last night that I wasnt as bothered by the shirtless jerks like I smtimes am at avalon or arc. maybe cos in the front was all cool dancers into roger's music. he played 1 or 2 tunes that cld be called progressive-ish. he playerd one like 5- that was trancey. generally he stuck to upbeat uptempo vocal house that definitely suited the room & the crowd. his mixing is decent but not amazing like digweed. but his track selection is solid, well programmed and also he bangs a lot of songs back to back like 2-3: minutes each, a quick mix/hot mix style that a lot of hip hop djs do. I dont know if this is an Ibiza thing but i noticed morillo doing it at crobar-- 2 or 3 minutes of one hot track banged right into the next one into the next etc. It makes for an exciting, energetic program. The only things that surprised me were: 1) I thought S-Man played a harder house,, even techy?? he stuck to solid NYC vocal house, but it worked. and 2) he played that "OPEN SESAME" song....thats a real KTU B&T track from last fall...he had a cool deep mix of it, but...thats a real guido/NJ track. I guess S-man had to cater to the spirit/sat night crowd with a lot of popular tracks, and they worked 95% of the time.

by 5:30/6: i FIGURED i HAD HEARD WHAT HE WAS GONNA DO. I chilled on the stage lip a bit. Oh yeah Coldplay CLOCKS--it worked at 5:40 but to me is a tired radio song....but it was ok anyway. saw a few guidos left on the sofas, the bathroom was disgusting, didnt dare go back to hiiphop room since 2: am....and left at 6: am. sanchez was better, and different than I expected. the crowd was pretty bad overall but the NYC house fans made it a great night down the front--and S Man was in great mood & brought the hi energy melodic house all night long. respecc'

***3/4 [1/4* deducted for abysmal guidos in the midst]

Roger was awesome on Saturday night, not as good as the Space Terrace in Miami this yr but nonetheless on point. His style of house is so easy to dance to and is very happy and uplifiting. This was my first time at Spirit and I was really impressed with the layout of the place and I heard bad things about the sound system...I thought it was fine and I love how the Dj booth is right in front..allows for some great crowd/DJ interaction and Roger def gets into..which is always awesome. Crowd-wise I thought was OK, some of the hottest girls I have ever seen in a club were there...just that everyone was shifaced and was playing ping pong with other people.

He played some great tracks..like Deep Dish - Flashdance, a nice remix of Diamond Life and he dropped this track with awesome female vocals around 230..."I like it when you go to extremes, I like it when you enter my dreams." I need to have that track.

Wow all this negativity...Fantastic.....hey listen, the city has a million different places to go to....if you dont like Spirit or the "guido's" that go there....go elsewhere. I dont see the big deal.

Roger at Spirit or Anywhere = Always a winner re music. As far as the Guidos in the crowd, its really pathetic. They have no idea what they want to be. Either they're in a hip hop room trying to be black or in a real house environment with the Latinos - where they don't even know what "4 on the Floor" is. Thank god the Jersey Shore will be open shortly - maybe they'll all head out there. Silverbull - What's the deal baby?

Hey kostap like said b4 i go anywhere as long as theirs a great dj. So if is guidofest spirit or morales and hectoshi then im doing it. I hated the fact that someone i knew said its to slow. Dont people know house is about 128 to 130bpm. chelsea see ya next sat and ckord possibly as well? I do love the setup of the dj with the backgroundnvisuals though big plus for that. And thumbs down for the door guy for not letting in 2 of my friends for not being DRESSED UP ENOUGH. Their thereto dance not to look pretty. Now with quo opening and 75% of thier club gearing toward bottle service shows why dannys party was great for TRUE HARCORE HOUSEHEADS.

roger was insane....finally some good feelgood house music...kept me and my friends moving all night ... as usual some of the hottest girls in the city were there and yes there were a bunch of guidos grillin every girl in sight including a hot blond girl that i met 10 minutes from when i got in there.. met silverbull or the first time.. mad cool cat and an sick dancer.. what up gab told ya id hit u up.. other than that keep the dj's coming...new york isnt in a downward spiral.. i think all this shake up of residencys is good for the city.... allows for some sick international talent to come and play at some of the best places in the city.. the only thing is i hope DT gets a ones a month stint some where...well cant wait till stoshi tomiie comes to town... he will def be ripping up the place when he gets here... he is a dj noat to miss if u want to hear some hot sh*t.. he is going to bring scandal to new york

actually yeah, were u there?

from like 3-ish to past 5: there was a thicket of heads at the front and sides of dj booth-- definitely rocking, fists pumping, cheering, singing some lyrics!

S-man was smiling, into it.

the bouncers (white coats) were a lot nicer this time than at morales last month.

yeh there were some hot dancers & some babes til 5:30-

then it got a bit empty and ther coldplay/U2 signal;led my last lap.

peas *