Clubplanet Nightlife Community

So Long Kenny....

magellanmax

This guy was a playa all around... cant compare him to many, he was unique in many ways.... he had alot to say..not mention what crazy stuff he did in his life. Steroids, alcohol..you name it, he did it to the extreme. In a few words, he lived more in his latter years of baseball than most do in their entire life. I remember when he walked up to the plate..he had a commanding presence like bonds, maguire, schef..to name a few. It was exciting to watch him play. Like everything that has a beginning, it had to come to an end...prematurely no less... but it doesnt take anything away from his accomplishments.

Thanks for the great baseball showcasing Ken Caminiti. Enjoy your rest, you earned it. :bowdown:

So wait, did Caminetti die or did he retire??

He died... Here is the story...

NEW YORK -- Ken Caminiti, the 1996 National League MVP for the San Diego Padres, died Sunday. He was 41.

Caminiti died of a heart attack in New York City, said his agent-lawyer Rick Licht. The city medical examiner's office said an autopsy would be performed Monday, spokeswoman Ellen Borakove said.

"I'm still in shock," San Diego Padres general manager Kevin Towers said. "He was one of my favorite all-time players."

The three-time All-Star third baseman's 15-year big league career ended in 2001, five seasons after he led the Padres to a division title and was a unanimous pick for MVP.

Just last Tuesday, he admitted in a Houston court that he violated his probation by testing positive for cocaine last month, and was sentenced to 180 days in jail.

But state District Judge William Harmon gave Caminiti credit for the 189 days he already served in jail and a treatment facility since he was sentenced to three years probation for a cocaine arrest in March 2001.

In May 2002, Caminiti told Sports Illustrated that he used steroids during his MVP season, when he hit a career-high .326 with 40 home runs and 130 RBIs. He estimated half the players in the big leagues were also using them.

Caminiti returned to baseball this year as a Spring Training instructor with San Diego.

"When I saw him in Spring Training, he didn't look good," Towers said. "I'm not surprised."

"The best way to describe him is that he was a warrior in every sense of the word. I can't tell you how many times I remember him hobbling into the manager's office, barely able to walk, and saying, 'Put me in the lineup.'"

"Man, that's just a tough one. I played with him for eight years," Dodgers outfielder Steve Finley said Sunday night, learning of Caminiti's death after St. Louis eliminated Los Angeles from the playoffs.

"He was a great player, but he got mixed up in the wrong things -- taking drugs. It's a sad reminder of how bad drugs are and what they can do to your body. It's a loss all of us will feel." In his career, Caminiti batted .272 with 239 homers and 983 RBIs with Houston, San Diego, Texas and Atlanta.

When you are in good shape and young... chances are you don't die from a heart attack/failure. The steroids ruined him and snorting all the coke made his heart explode... sad story...

everything u said is tru except for the "sad story" part...he fucked himself...idiot story more like it...

all i wana know is..what the fuck was he doing in the Bronx?

Apparently the coke and roids are better on the east coast. I bet you he was dealing with smuggling roids in Jackson Heights.

fkornre - believe you me - I have no pity for him, just his stupidity and the fact that kids have no real role models these days. Every star is fucked up big time these days. Whatever happened to the days of Don Mattingly being "the greatest player alive" when I was a kid and wanting to be him... (and for you Boston fans... Wade Boggs).

Apparently the coke and roids are better on the east coast. I bet you he was dealing with smuggling roids in Jackson Heights.

fkornre - believe you me - I have no pity for him, just his stupidity and the fact that kids have no real role models these days. Every star is fucked up big time these days. Whatever happened to the days of Don Mattingly being "the greatest player alive" when I was a kid and wanting to be him... (and for you Boston fans... Wade Boggs).

lmao...hey...u couldnt have been mattingly....i wanted to be him :D