Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Resume Question???

A friend of mine told me that when you list your college experience on a resume, most jobs don't call the college to check if you went there. Since I only have an associates degree, my friend told me I should just say I have a Bachelors from that school & it will be fine.

Does anyone know if they check colleges, I mean it's not like I would lie & say I have a masters. I'm a little skeptical, because I know all companies check refrences but never thought about them calling up colleges.

Thanks

A friend of mine told me that when you list your college experience on a resume, most jobs don't call the college to check if you went there. Since I only have an associates degree, my friend told me I should just say I have a Bachelors from that school & it will be fine.

Does anyone know if they check colleges, I mean it's not like I would lie & say I have a masters. I'm a little skeptical, because I know all companies check refrences but never thought about them calling up colleges.

Thanks

Depends on the company; If its a good company they have a background check on all potiential employees. I would not lie it could cost you the job

Thanks

yea way to start an interview...just flat out lie....

that will get you noooooo where in life. just be honest, its amazing where it can get you

Thanks

i completely disagree with what everyone is saying... it's a cutthroat world out there... you gotta do whatever you gotta do to get to the top... nice guys really do finish last... everyone amps up their resume a little bit and if you don't you're a moron...(not you, just everyone in general) you got a 2 year degree... bumping it up to a 4 year degree isn't THAT big of a deal... bumping a g.e.d. up to a phd is a big deal...

the only way this could backfire would be if your job asks for a transcript or something... then you are screwed... but if you have no shot of getting the job without a 4 year degree then what can you possibly lose by lying?? answer... nothing... you have nothing to lose...

i completely disagree with what everyone is saying... it's a cutthroat world out there... you gotta do whatever you gotta do to get to the top... nice guys really do finish last... everyone amps up their resume a little bit and if you don't you're a moron...(not you, just everyone in general) you got a 2 year degree... bumping it up to a 4 year degree isn't THAT big of a deal... bumping a g.e.d. up to a phd is a big deal...

the only way this could backfire would be if your job asks for a transcript or something... then you are screwed... but if you have no shot of getting the job without a 4 year degree then what can you possibly lose by lying?? answer... nothing... you have nothing to lose...

Thats not what everyone is saying; Everyone is saying it depends on the job, somewhere at nordstroms then yeah no background check. If its for a fortune 500 company you better believe they do a background check

dude . i think everyone here gave you pretty much the same advice .. dont lie in your resume .. most companies DO check colleges as well ..

i know a lot of hiring managers and i know most of them (95% or so) do check colleges as well as references .. and some of them request that one of your references is from college ..

u can mention however, that you are working on going back to college and you are ambitious about the company's development program which might make that dream come true .. that will also show that you are ambitious ... and after all companies like employees to use their dev progs .. it makes the company look good .. and it is good tax dollars ..

best of luck to you ..

peace

the MASK

u, sir, are a moron

the difference between an associate degree and a bachelors is astronomical...people with an associates become cops...people with a bachelors become proffessionals....ur a fucking idiot

Thanks for all the input, I had a feeling that some jobs check colleges. I don't know why but when my friend said that to me the way he said it made it seem possible.

I work for a fortune 500 company now as an administrative assistant & I'm going back to school in the summer, but it sucks that even in my own company in order to get out of the "assistant" role you have to have a bachelors.

I started browsing jobs on monster.com to see if I can find a non assistant role outside, but even the admin asst. jobs REQUIRE a bachelors on that websit. And when I look at the job duties on some of these bachelor required assistant postions, it's the same thing I do.

Basically, I'm staying where I'm at since it doesn't appear to be any better elsewhere.

so Brandy,

are you and tommy still an item? hope all is going well between you two, tell him I say whats up

Hey nomembername,

Yeah we're still an item. He misses posting on the board, but his company finally blocked this website & all other message boards.

He was the one who actually told me to exaggerate my schooling.

Am an HR professional for 10+ years and regardless of position for all organizations I have worked for we did complete background reviews including degrees. Even had an applicant try to scheme a Phd and can't begin to tell you the "shock" when the truth was discovered--needlesstosay he was not hired. :doh:

d...u can mention however, that you are working on going back to college and you are ambitious about the company's development program which might make that dream come true .. that will also show that you are ambitious ... and after all companies like employees to use their dev progs .. it makes the company look good .. and it is good tax dollars ...the MASK

good advice Mask :)

the difference between an associate degree and a bachelors is astronomical...people with an associates become cops...people with a bachelors become proffessionals....

Not for nothing... but that is a ridiculous comment (not to mention the spelling error) :rolleyes:

For the most part companies require BA/BS to keep young ones out of the workplace/positions of authority until they "grow up" a bit (regardless of what you might think)....not to mention the fact that because most kids can't read or write well out of HS so they anticipate the extra years of school will help improve that. While I am not downplaying the importance of a degree in this world--"experience" carries more weight for me.

BTW, Brandy, did you mention to your current employer that you are going back for BA/BS?

u, sir, are a moron

the difference between an associate degree and a bachelors is astronomical...people with an associates become cops...people with a bachelors become proffessionals....ur a fucking idiot

bro, you're a whiney faggot... :blah::blah:

im not saying it's a smart move i'm saying it's worth a shot... what does she have to lose?? if she's not gonna get the job she's not gonna get the job... might as well try... she's not gonna get arrested and thrown in jail for falsifying an application... what's wrong with having a set of balls and taking a shot...

if i knew she had a ton of experience in the field i would have suggested something different but i didnt know she had experience.. so maybe you shoudlnt be so quick to judge you little bitch... everyone else is telling her to be honest, you're saying she's doomed to be a cop... im saying, take a shot, what is there to lose...

so in closing, you sir, are the moron... people who get their associates in nursing become RN's... an RN is a professional... so, next time you run your mouth maybe you should think about knowing what the fuck you are talking about before you do so...

lastly, a degree doesn't mean shit... i knew a bus driver who had a phd.... i have met people (while on the job) that have a BS/BA and are fucking homeless... you really don't know shit man... a degree entitles you to dick... while our parents were in high school all you needed was a hs degree... in the 80's-90's it changed and everybody needed a bachelor's... now you need a bachelor's with a 3.5 gpa to get a decent job... pretty soon you'll need a master's... eventually (maybe not in our lifetime) you'll need a phd..

I started browsing jobs on monster.com to see if I can find a non assistant role outside, but even the admin asst. jobs REQUIRE a bachelors on that websit. And when I look at the job duties on some of these bachelor required assistant postions, it's the same thing I do.

see that is because people tend to confuse a college degree with intelligence... one does not equal the other... i think if you are applying for a position that doesn't require a license or certification of any sort i think experience will do the trick... i think emplyers know this and i think they feel more comfortable hiring somebody who's been in the game a little longer than some loose cannon fresh out of college... i dunno... but if you're willing to go get that education than go for it... then when you go on interviews the emplyers will see lots of expereince and an education, they'll have no choice but to hire you... goodluck though!!