Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Ultra Music Festival - is it worth it?

New to WMC and am overwhelmed a bit with all the different opinions about UMF.

Main question is: Is such a massive event with 1,000's of people become so crowded that it's hard to move/dance? Where do you chill when you're looking to take a break? Personally, I've learned over the years that I lean towards the smaller venues where you're able to connect with the dj, have room to dance, meet a lot of cool people.

Your opinions are appreciated. I'm leaning towards not going at this point, but don't want to miss on the party of my life, if it's anything like that.

Thanks!

am i missing something here?

there is NO place to dance at bayfront park? there's plenty of space to dance there. maybe if you're jammed up againt the front railing of the main stage there isnt a place to dance, but alllllllll over that party there is plenty of dancing room. you think there is going to be anymore room at all these packed clubs during WMC? there's prolly going to be less room, and more heat with 100's of people all jammed on a dancefloor.

-my 2 cents.

You guys try to compare Ultra with "smaller venues"...lol. It's a complete different frame of mind when you go to Ultra....for one, you cannot expect to get deep into the various sets you'll hear.....for two...it's an outdoor party, not a club. There are pros and cons as always. The fact that it's outdoor changes everything in my opinion...you can venture in many areas...it's like a little adventure. You can lay down on the grass if you need....can you do that at a club? you lay down...bouncers will kick u out.

In terms of space....well...yeah...more people but also more space...and u NEVER feel like sardines...in a club, it's a different story. Also...the sound is very special...that amphitheatre at Ultra is very nice I think.....the different stages.......not worth it? If u dont like big crowds + what I just described...then i can understand...otherwise...you are just making excuses for not paying the ticket.

what they are trying to say is that the area that is designated for dancing gets very crowed and hot with the sun, of course there is plenty of room to dance if u want to be on the outside of the dance area, its not the same vibes as an enclosed club where everybody goes nuts and your surrounded with that vibe.its a different experience than indoor events...as far as paying the ticket prices i dont think that $70 is gonna hurt the pocket when your going away and blowing llike 2g's for the week.....

I´m sure it will be fine, I´m from Holland and we have the biggest parties in the world, over 50.000 people, ofcourse it´s crowded, but you can allways find yourself some space to dance. It doesn´t matter where you are, as long as you have good crowd to join you. :)

I can´t wait to attend Ultra and experience the USA crowd(vibe)!!! :bowdown:

the lineup looks crappy, so probably not.

the after party, on the other hand.... :devil:

ok now you got me laughing with that one.

HOW THE ______ DO you Think the line up looks crappy? what more do you want? i mean they cant bring in ghandi to speak, and beethoven is dead. so how is that crappy? i could imagine it to be crappy if they were all bluegrass bands but this line up is nowhere close to crappy.

Some of you people are hillarious.. What do you mean there's no place to dance?!?!?! .. You got the whole park to danceee ! ! ! ! ! ... There's plenty of places to rest ( the grass ) .. while overlooking the stages with the lasers going on @ night.. Finding a place to rest is no biggie.. you find it, easy.. now dancing, it all comes up to how or what.. if you want to be near the DJ on the main stages.. ok, yes, is HARD to dance, but if you find yourself in the middle or back, there is PLENTY of space in the back, and yes, it is as loud as in the front, sometimes with a better view.. but it all comes down to what your into. Ultra music is an outdoor event with the best DJ's spinning for thousnands of party souls, where you will see thousands of people enjoying the same music as you, compared to a few hundred or less in a more intimate venue/club... there is a difference between festivals and clubs... so I would really suggest and go experience it yourself.. all my friends who are not even into EDM as Iam, had the blast of their lives when they went .. ( Ultra 4 and 5 ) .. last year was kinda weak, volume was low, but this year seems pretty tight, so I would def. go if you have never been there.

thanks for all the advice. i think i'll probably just wait to see how i feel that day (unless it sells out?). nikki beach and wetgrooves seem like good daytime events on thurs/fri so i don't know how much i'll be feeling the need to be in a huge concert atmosphere daytime event that saturday anyway.

i appreciate everyone's feedback. damn i wish it was already march!!

my experience with Ultra last year SUCKED. it was wayyy to "ravey" of a scene for me. tons of little kids running around with glowsticks and neon clothing. the tents that are actually playing good music are so crowded, hot, and distgusting. i am not a fan of outdoor events personally, but to each his own. ill stick to the pool parties for my outdoor events this year!

lol wow a couple of really LAME responses on this post.

There is tons of room to dance at ultra. Ive gone the past 4 years and have never had a problem doing anything or dancing anywhere. I just dont understand how someone could even suggest that.. insane.. Ultra is the EDM meca for the US scene.. its the 1 party i look forward to every year

Every person has their own preferences. I choose not to wait in a huge line to pee, sweat to death, or be surrounded by a bunch of 18 year olds. It is the reason I am not going. Have fun at Ultra this year bro. I am sure you will. :bounce:

im sorry but what you experienced is just not the same as what i and my friends have experienced.. and i was commenting previously about people insinuiting there is no room.. stop ellaborating on topics i didnt even bring up

I have never been to Ultra. Just did my homework and know what I like and don't like :hoparound

For people that have not been to ultra need to think about this. When you go to a rock concert such as U2 or pearl jam and so on and so on it is croweded as hell but you still go. This is the same way but more room and stages. The main stage you can see far back because it is so big and the graphics are amazing. Just think you have the best djs in the world all in one day. The only problem with ultra was two years ago sasha and diggers were playing the same time as oakie and I hate oakie lame as hell so I chose diggers but that is the problem pete tong on main stage while christopher lawrence was on one of the side stages but the experience is wild. Then you for a little bit go to the officail after hours with sasha and diggers at american airlines arena. YOu don not want to miss this one at all then we are heading to carl cox because we are on the guestlist and if we get on the xmix list we might check out that party at opuim garden. What a sat if we do all this and the night before pvd @space with sander kleinberg on patio terrace are you kidding me this guy is one of the best house djs out there soulful and vibrant and those some surprises in there.

So the parties we are attending

arrive ft lauderdale 9 pm wed march 23

go to bed for vath for a little bit

then off to state for lawler

then off to after hours private lawler after hours

then off to space subliminal party with 7 am erik morillio (one of the best djs in the world right now)

then sleep for a couple hours

Thur march 24 wetgrooves daytime party with christopher lawerence, judge jules plus many many others. 11am-8pm

Thur night ? still waiting on party listings for thur

Fri march 25 daytime urb mag and scion boat cruise with little louie vega, plus more 3pm-8pm invite only open bar

fri night off to private party till about 1 am

then off to space for pvd and sander kleinberg

sat day-night ultra festival march 26

sat night opuim garden xmix party dj sneak, armand van helden/junior sanchez plus more.

the off to crobar for carl cox for the rest of the night.

march 27 ending off the conference Mixxology party with DJ Dan, Berouz, Derrick May plus many many more

So that is a full week plus beach time somewhere in there each day and also lunch meetings with some of the biggest promoters in the world.

Eric Smith

Purple Cow Productions

Director of Promotions

cell 1-513-293-5896

bengals041@yahoo.com

For people that have not been to ultra need to think about this. When you go to a rock concert such as U2 or pearl jam and so on and so on it is croweded as hell but you still go. This is the same way but more room and stages. The main stage you can see far back because it is so big and the graphics are amazing. Just think you have the best djs in the world all in one day. The only problem with ultra was two years ago sasha and diggers were playing the same time as oakie and I hate oakie lame as hell so I chose diggers but that is the problem pete tong on main stage while christopher lawrence was on one of the side stages but the experience is wild. Then you for a little bit go to the officail after hours with sasha and diggers at american airlines arena. YOu don not want to miss this one at all then we are heading to carl cox because we are on the guestlist and if we get on the xmix list we might check out that party at opuim garden. What a sat if we do all this and the night before pvd @space with sander kleinberg on patio terrace are you kidding me this guy is one of the best house djs out there soulful and vibrant and those some surprises in there.

So the parties we are attending

arrive ft lauderdale 9 pm wed march 23

go to bed for vath for a little bit

then off to state for lawler

then off to after hours private lawler after hours

then off to space subliminal party with 7 am erik morillio (one of the best djs in the world right now)

then sleep for a couple hours

Thur march 24 wetgrooves daytime party with christopher lawerence, judge jules plus many many others. 11am-8pm

Thur night ? still waiting on party listings for thur

Fri march 25 daytime urb mag and scion boat cruise with little louie vega, plus more 3pm-8pm invite only open bar

fri night off to private party till about 1 am

then off to space for pvd and sander kleinberg

sat day-night ultra festival march 26

sat night opuim garden xmix party dj sneak, armand van helden/junior sanchez plus more.

the off to crobar for carl cox for the rest of the night.

march 27 ending off the conference Mixxology party with DJ Dan, Berouz, Derrick May plus many many more

So that is a full week plus beach time somewhere in there each day and also lunch meetings with some of the biggest promoters in the world.

Eric Smith

Purple Cow Productions

Director of Promotions

cell 1-513-293-5896

bengals041@yahoo.com

Solid description...really helps me put it all in perspective. I also appreciate your party agenda. Gives me a good idea of how to typically plan my day. It sounds like you'll be at some pretty dope f'n parties...must be nice to have your connections.

Thanks again for your opinion/insight. Anybody else?

Every person has their own preferences. I choose not to wait in a huge line to pee, sweat to death, or be surrounded by a bunch of 18 year olds. It is the reason I am not going. Have fun at Ultra this year bro. I am sure you will. :bounce:

bunch of 18 year old's? whatever man, more people means more fun as long as their not fuking it up which is exactly what 18 year olds don't do. I 've been to Ultra last 2 years and those 18 year old's always teach me a lesson in edm and partying man. Talk to em you'll see. Now the little candy kids I can understand, but the 18 and up ppl? Never had a prob with them. I go for the music not for the people. Ultra is a great experience which shoudln't be missed by any edm head let alone a dj like you. And who suggested that Ultra gets too packed and you can't dance? Never have I had a problem of the sort. Go if ya haven't gone yet. And for those that don't like it don't put it down so others don't go.