Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Art Deco = Cheap crap with rainbow colors

What in the world was all this hype about the Art Deco district? They color the walls in two different pastels and suddenly its some modern art creation that we should be overjoyed to have the opportunity to live in. Nevermind the rusted aluminum windows, art deco stains on the carpet and cheap ass beds, the easter bunny walls make up for all of that. I stayed at the days inn so i got no reason to complain, but these other places on collins were such a waste of money. I did find one amazing hotel down on ocean, which shall remain a secret till i book my room for next years wmc.

LOL i feel your pain... i stayed at the starlite hotel on ocean and it was one of the ugliest piece of shit hotels ive stayed in ever.... luckily we had clean sheets, hot water and no bugs... couldnt say the same for the people downstairs.. art deco my fucking ass.. next year im staying up in the 60's.. we stayed at this place called deauville on 67th the last night... place was bangin... they were shooting a movie in our hotel.. if anyone ventured past the 70's and 80's there are some phat ass hotels up there... hotels like 40-50 stories up.. beautiful landscapes and shrubbery.. it's a bit out of the way but it's also cheaper... the taxi's run you more but it's well worth it..

Don't like art deco? You must like Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island architecture better. :) I didn't even look where this comment came from and I knew he/she was from New York.

How could you not like art deco?

My comment? You get what you pay for in South Beach. El Cheapo cost = el cheapo looking sardine can rooms.

Don't like art deco? You must like Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island architecture better. :) I didn't even look where this comment came from and I knew he/she was from New York.

My comment? You get what you pay for in South Beach. El Cheapo cost = el cheapo looking sardine can rooms.

you're crazy man... i like you, but you're crazy...

yep guilty as charged... it was a learning expereince for sure... now i know you get what you pay for.. i thought everything was gonna be nice so i went budget.. now i know... i was in the room a total of 15 hours my 3 days there, so it's all good...

actually the second place we stayed at up on 67th.. was cheaper and it was a saturday night as opposed to starlite which was wednesday-friday.. so the weeknights up there were probably dirt cheap

there's more than a few reasonable hotels in south beach. rates were higher this year due to it being easter weekend. it was the most we paid for a hotel room in the nine years we've been down for wmc. one tip (does not always work) : check expedia, orbitz, etc. find a hotel and then book direct through the hotel instead of through a website. a few advantages:

sometimes the rate is cheaper (it has been for me)

you can request a nicer room and/ or a room w a better view (we got oceanfront)

you pay AFTER you check out instead of months ahead of time

we had to check out 1 night earlier with no problem and no penalty (we let them know only the night before) we had to be home earlier than planned, but this is also good if you get a shithole and can find a nicer hotel

hope this helps you guys out and NO i can't tell you where we stayed!!!!!!!!!

What in the world was all this hype about the Art Deco district? ..... suddenly its some modern art creation that we should be overjoyed to have the opportunity to live in.

Actually Nightcrawler, not suddenly, or modern. Art Deco was a movement of the 1920's and 30's. Like most movements in the arts, it was representative of the culture at its time (think..the advent of TV, and women showing their KNEES in public)

In your neck of the woods...NY's Empire State and Chrysler Buildings are 2 classic Art-Deco style skyscrapers.

Remember, the degree of preservation, and restoration of the architecture of this era varies widely. And as you said, I don't think the Days Inn is probably a "historical landmark."

Peace,

Nancygroove

isnt the 20's and 30's still considered modern art? I dont know much at all about art, guess thats why I can't appreciate the art deco thing. But to me honestly, I don't think the people who designed the majority of these hotels on Collins really care too much about art either. I think they're just trying to capitalize on tourists who've heard about art deco. There is absolutely no reason to be charging 200+ dollars a night and still have stains on the carpets. NYC is probably the most expensive city in the US and I could get a hotel 10x better than most of those art deco ones on collins for about the same price on a days notice, even on a peak season. They're just ripping off tourists, simple as that. Im not talkin about the days inn, i know thats not deco, but even for a days inn i mean it should be clean. I went to other people's hotels on collins and washington, they werent horrible but it just seemed like it wasnt put together well. Definitely not worth the money they charge, yea you're on the beach but cmon at least wash the windows.

I personally like the art deco. At least the outsides.

same. its different from the regular ugly skyscraper type of hotels that are all over the place.

my hotel (South Beach Plaza) was actually very nice.

the room was clean and big. the staff was friendly and helpful. the a/c worked extremely well. no bugs either. my room had a great view of the Nordictracks (sp?) party. and if i had a laptop, my room had wi-fi access.

my hotel rate came to about $160 a night before taxes. if i dont do a timeshare next year, i'm definitly going back to this hotel.

:D

• 4 months later...