Clubplanet Nightlife Community

TRANCE or HOUSE

mjm

where are all the Househeads that were once Tranceheads???

I would like some feedback on those who were once diehard tranceheads & now are diehard househeads.

Funny how when someone post a thread about a certain trance dj or about a trance event they go ape shit on bashing it. cheese this cheese that.

yet the ones who bash it were once harcore tranceheads then all of a sudden became househeads.

i don't understand. how can one love a certain music so much & then hate it.

why is that??

Is it because of the stereotyping trance gets????

i really don't get it.. i would really like to know.

Especially how alot of those who jumped the bandwagon have not yet posted but one person. even then that one person has avoided the purpose of the thread.

does one choose to listen to the music because it's what YOU like??

or

Is it because all of your friends choose to listen to something else & you figured you don't want them to know you still listen to it??

So thats why you end up jumping bandwagon???

So i say this..

:direct::direct:

COME OUT..... COME OUT WHERE EVER YOU ARE!!!!! BANDWAGON JUMPERS!!!!

:direct::direct:

LETS HERE YOUR THOUGHT ABOUT THIS TOPIC...

or shall i start naming names...

THEY WON'T..........................TRUST ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i used to like trance...i use to spin trance (+ house and breaks).... we're talking '92-'98ish trance though....

but once it hit the "cookie-cutter" format that it's developed (errr....abated, rather) into in the recent 5+ years, i lost interest. there are a few (very few, mind you) that are making attempts at breaking the mold, but there's little hope since the genre has hit an almost "mini-pop" bearing within the electronic music realm.

tell me...where is the Two Full Moons and a Trout (Caspar Pound rmx) of today?... no Binary Finary, no Cafe Del Mar, no Be As One, no Gamemaster... just the same recycled high-hat line for years.... same kick, same snare... same build/breakdown format with the exact same measure count sequence... same pad/strings...etc etc etc, and so on.

aside from the preset production, it seems the trance DJs (for the most part) today don't care. when PVD gets a buttload of cash to show up and does an amateur maneuver like push the 12" during a pad/string section (ie: "wheerriiirrrreeerrriirrrrr!!!"), it doesn't provide much foundation for

argument regarding overall skills of today's trance dj.

i could go on and on.... i've seen/heard this genre go through its' motions since the early 90s. there was a time where i would get excited over the next big trance track. i can't remember when the last time that was though...

fortunately, other genres continue to progress...especially tech-house. so much interesting and intelligent stuff happening in that department lately...

Great post Kable.

So far, I’ve heard a lot of compelling arguments. Trance has gone though a mini-pop phase. Perhaps Ultrafest is a strong indication of that as well. But I don’t think Trance has completely died either.

Looking for new stuff? Something different? I’d have to refer to who I think is Trance’s #1 evangelist right now, Armin van Buuren. http://www.arminvanbuuren.com/ For those who don’t know, he does a weekly radio program “A State of Trance†where he promotes the latest tracks. One recent track I heard that I think is worth mentioning is one by an Israeli Producer, Yahel feat. A-Force - Behind Silence (Fundamental).

For those who jumped off the bandwagon, you’re about to miss your ride :letsgo:

U know my guess, but unlike others, some try to put off they like trance, just so they can hang out, FUCKIN LOSERSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

That is the most IGNORANT comment I've ever heard you say Matt.

A person's choice of music can transition thru the years, just 'cos

they dont idolize the prior, dont mean they dont enjoy it still.

You got your cheese bombs and you have your knockouts outhere

but closing up completely to what other EDM choices are outhere, is not

what I'd recommend.

Then again, that's my point of view, and I dont expect everyone to understand it.

:pint: :pint: - Sam Adams

That is the most IGNORANT comment I've ever heard you say Matt.

A person's choice of music can transition thru the years, just 'cos

they dont idolize the prior, dont mean they dont enjoy it still.

You got your cheese bombs and you have your knockouts outhere

but closing up completely to what other EDM choices are outhere, is not

what I'd recommend.

Then again, that's my point of view, and I dont expect everyone to understand it.

:pint: :pint: - Sam Adams

How is that ignorant, someone who tries to show they like it but they really dont, cause they are just there merely for the attention, what does that tell ya, you are who u are, be tru to who u are and what u are all about, people who put themselves in a spot where they say they like trance, but really dont, then Im not down, if they liked trance and moved on to house or prog, I have no problem with that, most of what I listen to is trance, and a little house and prog, why dont I get into some more of it, cause it doesnt do it for me, it doesnt move me, I stay where my roots are in EDM, cause I love it and what it does for me, some of the other EDM I listen to, does the same, but I clearly stay within that area, I try to listen to some mroe, and yeah some I like, the rest is just not for me, The music is you and you are the music, u know it like the back of the hand and there are others out there, who throw it in there like they think they like it, but are just wanting to be part of the party scene, no fuckin way in my book

How is that ignorant, someone who tries to show they like it but they really dont, cause they are just there merely for the attention, what does that tell ya, you are who u are, be tru to who u are and what u are all about, people who put themselves in a spot where they say they like trance, but really dont, then Im not down, if they liked trance and moved on to house or prog, I have no problem with that, most of what I listen to is trance, and a little house and prog, why dont I get into some more of it, cause it doesnt do it for me, it doesnt move me, I stay where my roots are in EDM, cause I love it and what it does for me, some of the other EDM I listen to, does the same, but I clearly stay within that area, I try to listen to some mroe, and yeah some I like, the rest is just not for me, The music is you and you are the music, u know it like the back of the hand and there are others out there, who throw it in there like they think they like it, but are just wanting to be part of the party scene, no fuckin way in my book

Dude, if you're focusing on the "posers" then YEAH, I agree!

BUT, just like you I was an avid trance follower back in the day and

it just suddenly started sounding all the same!

NOW like I said in my previous post - some trance producers are breaking the monotony of sounds in trance...and that is a change I welcome.

Diehard househeads will condemn it alltogether (just like you condemn house music) ...but I cant do that (once again :rolleyes: ) because then I'd be a hypocrate and that just aint me.

What is wrong with stepping out of the trance/house box? Really?

Is it THAT wrong? Does it make you a different person?

I dont think so...if anything it expands your knowledge in music and THAT

my friend is something I rejoice upon. :pint::D

Trance used to be my main thing as I was in to Trance and a Trance DJ form before it got huge in America. I have always been into all Dance music and played almost all of it from House, Techno, Trance, Prog, Breaks, IDM, Minimal, Dark.. whatever. But when trance went into its big Commerical Cheesey phase it got too tainted for me and I kind of left it alone and went more proggy/housey. Now that's my main thing, but Trance has emerged again as a good from of music when played by the right selectors and a good amount of the cheese has melted away :) If anyone is really into Dance Music they can feel the groove in any quality EDM music :aright:

honestly, you can find great music in almost all of the various genres and sub-genres of electronic music, if you don't set limits upon your preferences ahead of time. i think it's silly to be so committed to a single genre or two, so as to be called a "househead" or "junglist" or whathaveya.... that's such a close-minded and regressive approach to listening... keep in mind, all of us at one time had to have an open mind to be introduced to electronic music in the first place.

believe it or not, i listen to downtempo and chill more than any other style of music... go figure.

believe it or not, i listen to downtempo and chill more than any other style of music... go figure.

I believe it.......

Funny aint it?..................that someone's state of mind of chill,

is different than yours, but somehow you achieve that when you create that state of mind for THOSE people. :idea:

Woah....I'm ahead of me.. :D:spin:

What comes to mind when u hear someone say

- Trance music

or

- House music

what is your preference?

Did you ever listen to one type & then switched to another.

If so why?

When I started this scene, I started with trance, then my brother and a few oldies from CP got me into House.... and now i'm all about HOUSE!!!! but I don't forget where I started......

South Beach was at its peak when Trance first hit it big in Miami. The tourists from Europe obviously embraced it, but by that point in time so did the South American tourists, and the locals were fed up with Circuit anthem House and Breakbeats.

The downfall for Trance in South Florida happened when Trance got too big for its own good perhaps. Power 96 started playing it so all of a sudden it didn't seem to sound so underground. The clubs in Ft. Lauderdale and Kendall were all of a sudden playing it, so it wasn't just a South Beach thing anymore. Many of Trance's leading DJs were abandoning it. Suddenly Crobar became the hotspot for Progressive House by the likes of Sasha & Digweed.

What killed it most of all was Shadow Loung closing, and Space firing Edgar V. (it was in part his fault for something he did at a party abroad, but they shouldn't have fired him).

Once Shadow lounge closed down and Space was without Edgar as a resident the Trance scene just wasn't as strong in Miami.

Nowadays it's extremely rare to see most of the Trance headliners in Miami, especially the relatively newer talents. They're much more likely to get booked in L.A., Washington, San Francisco, or New York. Back in the day Shadow Lounge and Space had no problem bringing in more then just PVD and Tiesto to Miami.

Anyways, the clubs in South Beach felt Trance was no longer underground enough for them, but too many of them started introducing House nights. Ironically a year after that SoBe became anything but underground as most clubs moved on to extremely commercial Hip Hop nights. Had they kep some of their Trance nights, and had more nights that fused House, Progressive, Tribal, Breaks, and Trance, things might look different today.

house is where it started for me. trance was a nice diversion, but house remains my preferred dance music style.

like freestyle, trance dominated the south Florida scene for some time. to the point where trance simply oversaturated the scene

trance in it's self was a great jolt for the scene, fortunately or unfortunately peoples taste in music are constantly changing..

with regard to Edgar V. whether Edgar was at space or not, the format at space was going to change to reflect the dynamics of the scene.

IMO I don't believe the current trance audience, is big enough to support a weekly party at a large venue. hence ,larger venues will only bring trance in when it's a sure money maker, i.e. Tiesto, PVD, etc.

there are so many interesting styles of dance music which have not reached there true potential i.e. Tech, Tech house, Breaks, etc. which IMO keeps things interesting. :cool:

trance always was and always will be the choice for me. From the first moment I heard it back in the shadow days until now, nothing can give me goosebumps like trance can. House music only entertains me for about 20 minutes, then I get bored.

You know how I feel about it Manny, no need to explain. :)

Trance, for me at least was a step in EDM's evolution from Techno/House. It just seemed right. And the reason was mostly the chord progressions.

Another aspect of Trance in the late 90's early 00's was the scene was different than what was out there. The people were different and THAT is what really made it a scene was the people in it when it was underground.

I've been in clubs in NY, NJ, CA, and FL, MEXICO. They played house, hip-hop, what ever. One thing for sure is that it always sucked in many places was the vibe.

I don't know if it was the music or the people. But the vibe sucked. As in many meet markets, everyone there is not really there to enjoy themselves, the music, or even the moment. Most are there to either find someone to sleep with because they've waited in line for 40 minutes, paid $30 at the door and drinks and want to feel that somehow this was all worth it. This is the best idea they've come up with and need to justify it somehow.

They're not having a good time so they somehow think that if they drink more, they'll have a better time, or everyone will accept them as a person or something. They circle the Dance Floor, standing against the wall or harass females or worse yet, get into a fight over something stupid. This is a BAD vibe.

On the other hand, I've been to a sh!t bar in New York called Po Billies (I think), the beer was cheep and sh!itty, the music was horrible, but for some reason, everyone was having a blast. That was a GOOD vibe.

When the Underground Trance Scene hit, it was something different. It seemed to me that everyone there was there for the same reason; to enjoy the music. Everyone got along, strangers became friends, it was all good.

Of course, nothing lasts forever.

When the Underground Trance Scene hit, it was something different. It seemed to me that everyone there was there for the same reason; to enjoy the music. Everyone got along, strangers became friends, it was all good.

Of course, nothing lasts forever.

That vibe remains strongest at Progressive House parties, although it's great when you see it at Trance and other genre events.