Clubplanet Nightlife Community

The Twilo now?

Hi all,

I haven't been clubbing very much since the sad, sad demise of Twilo. Do you know what club(s) would be reasonably satisfying substitutes? I used to be a Sasha & Digweed fan, but haven't been following DJs for a while, not sure who's comparable. Any tips and pointers would be much appreciated!

My advice is to not go to Spirit with the idea its Twilo... It would be like going to the cemetery, and digging up grandma... not gonna go well...

Vinyl was the closet thing after that era closed down, but that’s gone as well

I think Crobar is the best, nice crowd, line-ups… I always have a great time there...

Shelter is also nice...

That whole scene pretty much disintegrated after Twilo closed...best case scenario is that it's slowly coming back at different venues.

My bet would be Victor Calderone at Crobar next week. You'll have to go to specific nights, not just enter the club and hope to be at the right place.

Also, for the one who said Crobar was the place where it's happening...I am sorry but I've been to Crobar on a random Saturday and it was very lame, nothing near what Twilo or Vinyl was music wise, or crowd wise. It's all goody-goody in there.

Spirit on some occasion can be good to. Just hit the spot that plays the music you like, that's the safest bet.

Just know that DT, Cox, Sasha&Digweed, Jr, VC are all still around so you'll find something in there you'll enjoy I hope.

Peace.

buq

I don' t think crobar is "where its at", but I do think that they are booking some phenominal talent lately. As far as venues go I actually think Spirit ( as a venue is better).. Crobar is bigger, but half the f-ing place is roped off as vip rooms for 150$. If you really want to be just about the music, I agree as said before, that shelter is all about the music, no glam there. They could get a better DJ line-up.

I still haven't seen a show at Avalon, any one have any input?

Jerry

I don' t think crobar is "where its at", but I do think that they are booking some phenominal talent lately. As far as venues go I actually think Spirit ( as a venue is better).. Crobar is bigger, but half the f-ing place is roped off as vip rooms for 150$. If you really want to be just about the music, I agree as said before, that shelter is all about the music, no glam there. They could get a better DJ line-up.

I still haven't seen a show at Avalon, any one have any input?

Jerry

every club in new york is about the "glam"

Thanks for the replies all! Really appreciate the help.

Hmm I guess I'll wait for Sasha & Digweed at Crobar this time around, since not a big VC fan. It's very sad that Twilo hasn't been replicated yet... it's been a few years!

It's very sad that Twilo hasn't been replicated yet... it's been a few years!

It will never be replicated...

it wasnt just a place, it was a mindset and a time in NYC.

just like disco 2000 will never be back...and the tunnel, studio 54, paladium etc..

NYC isnt like that anymore

the people arent what they were, the drugs arent what they were, it isnt 'new' anymore...

now its about bottle service, looking cool etc..

back then ppl just let themselves go, got dressed up in crazy outfits, were wild, careless...

u can see the vibe occasionally here and there in this city, but it will never be at the level it used to be at like a twilo.

i wish it was, and ive even done everytihng i could to try and help recreate that vibe that I used to love at my parties, and it just isnt happening here in NYC anymore.

Ive accepted that and make the best of what we have, cause the scene in NYC is still going strong, it just has changed a lot.

A lot has changed.

Andy's right, the music is not new anymore, the majesty of DJing has been diluted by the music becoming much more accessible and w/ people starting to realize that the DJ's are not 'making the music' although ironically, they are starting to w/ all the new live software programs out there, etc. People were just excited to hear dance music because it was so underground back then, it was to be a part of a movement in some ways.

And things have changed a lot in NYC, particularly in terms of the drug arena, which was the primary driver behind so much of those days. Tunnel, Factory, LL - were all soaked in drugs, and so was Twilo. Soaked. I mean 80% of the crowd was on pills, (at least and depending on the time) and today that is just not the case for a lot of reasons. I don't care how amazing Sasha and Digweed are, when people are hanging out till 11am w/o a drop of booze in the house for 7 hours, they're rolling, etc.

I remember, people that didn't 'do drugs' did E. Girls I grew up w/ would look at me like a degenerate for smoking bud, but would take 2 pills every time they went to a club, and let's face it, a crowd that's hopped up on E is very friendly. That's where a lot of the vibe went I think. Not to mention that coke is back in NYC like the 80's.

Also the as the laws changed so did the business models of a lot club investors. Guiliani created an entire division of the NYPD to clean up the club scene, and it was an easy target. It makes more sense to sell alcohol and make 600% on a bottle than to have people passing out on the floor from drugs that they didn't (well, excluding a few venues) buy from the house. One of the owners of Avalon told me once that he would rather just close at 4am but keeps the place going b/c this in NYC and he has to keep the afterhours going but that he makes maybe 10% of his revenue between 4-7am.

Contrary to all of this is that NYC is city of extremes. Things are cyclical and in case anyone hasn't noticed, things are 10x better than they were 2 years ago here. This city was fucking dead for about 2-3 years, and think of just Friday night this past weekend what was going on:

Paul Van Dyk

Danny T

Hybrid

Scumfrog and SR's 3 year anniversary

Frankie Bones played someplace

Robots party

plus a ton of small shit and afterhours...

Things are really kicking back up and the generation that went to Twilo, Tunnel, SF, LL, etc are not going to be the ones to carry it like that again, we either got into it on the business side, don't have the brain cells left to spare, got old or bored. It's up the next generation to pick it up, and it's not going to be the same as it was because that already happened. In 5 years if Crobar were to close there would be all this talk of "What's gonna be the next Crobar."

Speaking of venues only I think Crobar is the worst. Dont get me wrong they pull a lot of talent but it's like the pretty boy of clubs. Maybe they should just throw it in the Meatpacking district. It just doesn't have an edge to it like Shelter, Spirit, and even Avalon (even though that crowd makes me sick).