Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Building Stamina

bolts

I'm starting soccer soon and need to build stamina. What is the best way? I heard going on the treadmill and doing 3 minutes at a fast pace, then 1 minute a fast walk, then back to a 3 minute run. Is there anything else I can do?

don't use a treadmill.. unless it's your only choice

Go out and run on a track or the soccer field.. you'll build more muscle that way than on a treadmill. Do suicides and intervals. Intervals are pretty much you said; you run at a fast pace for a bit, then walk... you can decide on the intervals depending on how fit/unfit you are. 3 minutes at a fast pace and 1 minute fast walk may be too much at first though. For Track and Field I used to run a lap at a fast pace, then walk for half a lap, then run a fast lap again, on and off. Run a mile or two nonstop as well.. long distance running will always help build stamina.

suicides...start at one end of the field. touch every line and run back to your starting point. then run to the next furthest line and run back to your starting point.

if you're just starting out, definetly go outside. the treadmill actually helps you buy pulling you foward and doing the work for you.

Go to a track or field and sprint the straight-a-ways & jog the curves. Or if you're in better shape, do laps, sprint 1 lap, rest 1 min. sprint 2 laps, rest 1 min. sprint 3 laps, rest 1 min. hahah, i guess it all depends on how in shape you are. Also, just running for long periods of time is great if you run at pace.

***OH and make sure you bring a watch and time yourself. since you're not racing against anyone, you should try and beat your times. goodluck

treadmills have their use. try running with an incline and you'll see how hard it really is. i usually run with a 7% incline for 30 min and by the time i'm done i'm exhausted. equally, since you will be playing soccer and running-jogging more, also take into account how much pressure your knees can take. running on the treadmill is easier on your joints, so i would not rule out using the treadmill at all.

oh yeah, i used to play a lot of soccer growing up. bteween pick up games and league games, easily about 40-50 games a year.

suicides...start at one end of the field. touch every line and run back to your starting point. then run to the next furthest line and run back to your starting point.

if you're just starting out, definetly go outside. the treadmill actually helps you buy pulling you foward and doing the work for you.

Go to a track or field and sprint the straight-a-ways & jog the curves. Or if you're in better shape, do laps, sprint 1 lap, rest 1 min. sprint 2 laps, rest 1 min. sprint 3 laps, rest 1 min. hahah, i guess it all depends on how in shape you are. Also, just running for long periods of time is great if you run at pace.

***OH and make sure you bring a watch and time yourself. since you're not racing against anyone, you should try and beat your times. goodluck

i actually prefer a track. Im always afriad of falling off the treadmill while running, plus im running in the same place which is really boring

i remember doing these for football. After a few of these most of the people were on the sidelines puking their guts out. we started at the goal and went out to the 50 yrd line (10, back, 20 back, etc) and we all about died.

Coach never made us do them again tho.

i remember doing these for football. After a few of these most of the people were on the sidelines puking their guts out. we started at the goal and went out to the 50 yrd line (10, back, 20 back, etc) and we all about died.

Coach never made us do them again tho.

Did suicides for Hoops all the time in HS....damn they were rough!

^ ditto on that.

i played college ncaa lacrosse & field hockey and suicides were punishements for the team when 1 person would only give half-ass effort. terrible.

we also had this chase game where you had a partner, you'd sprint to catch up w/them and the other person had to jog at pace. god, it was never ending. and i've definetly dry heaved many a time.

^ ditto on that.

i played college ncaa lacrosse & field hockey and suicides were punishements for the team when 1 person would only give half-ass effort. terrible.

we also had this chase game where you had a partner, you'd sprint to catch up w/them and the other person had to jog at pace. god, it was never ending. and i've definetly dry heaved many a time.

Indian runs? Ahhhh those were the days!! I did track/x-country in college and we did that all the time. To be young again when I was running 110 miles a week...*shurgs*

^ no no no not indian runs. although i did like those...

half the team (A) started in 1 corner. the other half of the team (B) started in the opposite (diagonally). Team A would sprint. Team B would run at pace. It would take us (A) like sprinting like 2.5-4 laps before catching up to team B. Once caught, (A) would start to run at pace, and (B) starts sprinting to catch up.

i miss having such a high metabolism - i could eat anything i wanted...

^ no no no not indian runs. although i did like those...

half the team (A) started in 1 corner. the other half of the team (B) started in the opposite (diagonally). Team A would sprint. Team B would run at pace. It would take us (A) like sprinting like 2.5-4 laps before catching up to team B. Once caught, (A) would start to run at pace, and (B) starts sprinting to catch up.

i miss having such a high metabolism - i could eat anything i wanted...

Ugh that sounds like crap! Thank God I never had to do that :aaah:

^ ditto on that.

i usually throw up after suicides, its the worst feeling in the world

i know what else you could do:

-time & beat your 2 miles times. that'll def build stamina.

-time & beat your 6 300meter sprints back n forth. that turning/pivoting and pushing will make your quads feel like mush

2 miles? You do acid for a living? You crazy? Honestly, I'm at the point now that if I do 6 mins on a treadmill, i feel like I accomplished something big. That's the whole reason for this thread. I have to increase my stamina dramatically.

^ w/in 6 minutes - how fast r u going?

u gotta start somewhere. do 6 minutes today, then 8 min tomorrow, 10 min the next day after that. just set your goal before your workout and don't negotiate w/yourself when you are running. (I do that sometimes: like I set a goal for time, then i'm like, well i'll just stop running if I hit the mileage first, instead of the set time - BOLTS don't do it!)

i run for 30-45min daily which at the end of the run I've covered anywhere from 2-4 miles. Depending on how the path I take if I'm running for distance or just to keep the heartrate up for the full 30-45min.

When i first started i could only run for about 5 min then I'd have to rest.. but i busted through that and after a few days of pushing I could run fairly nonstop.

I dont know that just running 6min on a treadmill does anything for you.. doesnt seem like that is enough time to be benificial.. but i dont know, just saying.

i run for 30-45min daily which at the end of the run I've covered anywhere from 2-4 miles. Depending on how the path I take if I'm running for distance or just to keep the heartrate up for the full 30-45min.

When i first started i could only run for about 5 min then I'd have to rest.. but i busted through that and after a few days of pushing I could run fairly nonstop.

I dont know that just running 6min on a treadmill does anything for you.. doesnt seem like that is enough time to be benificial.. but i dont know, just saying.

Listen, I'd love to do more, and that's the reason for the thread, I would like to be able to run 30mins without breaking a sweat.

You say you started at 5min and now run 30-45mins, how long would it take to get to that level?