Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Djs walking OUT of the booth?!?!

An article from AntiFM:type:

Technology allows DJs to leave secluded booths and join clubbers

Jude Kelly is by far the most popular guy in the room. Dressed-to-impressed clientele stop and chat with the DJ perched on a stool at the end of the bar at Muse, a downtown hangout.

Kelly, who's dishing out old-school hip hop from his laptop, is one of a growing number of DJs abandoning the traditional booth in favour of mingling with the crowd.

Pint-sized mixers, innovative software and never-ending digital music collections make it possible.

"I'm trying to decentralize the DJ," says Kelly, who DJs part-time, mostly on weekends. "Normally the DJ is in some booth where he's a God-like figure. I don't like that. DJing is about playing music, being personable. I'm trying to bring the DJ concept down to where people can mill about, see what's happening, request songs and just be part of the excitement."

Kelly usually sets himself up at one end of the bar. He's got a laptop that runs software called Virtual DJ. Next to his computer sits a controller with a built-in mixer.

As customers shout martini orders to the bartender they glance at his screen where animated turntables are "spinning" the tunes.

"When I'm playing vinyl in a DJ booth it's a separate world," says Kelly. "A lot of people have a problem with approaching me. Here, I'm at the bar where people are ordering drinks. They come up to me and ask me what's going on."

Like regular music lovers, many amateur and professional DJs started converting their music collections into MP3 files in the mid-1990s. And it was only a matter of time before software came along that let DJs mix and loop songs from a laptop using a virtual turntable.

It also means DJs can leave their heavy equipment and milk crates full of vinyl at home.

"A lot of professionals are switching, even the old-school ones," says Francis Delage, a vendor of various types of DJ technology at Moog Audio in Toronto.

"It can be dangerous to go to a club with your full collection of records . . . instead, they archive all their music in their computer."

Hardcore, more purist DJs have slowly started using software such as Serato which allows them to manipulate their digitized music collections using actual turntables and a basic USB cable, he explains.

Other software, such as the type Kelly favours, allows users to DJ entirely from their laptop computer using virtual decks and a series of filters and special effects.

"Those people don't care about the techniques. They just want to be able to share their music," says Delage of software like Virtual DJ and Traktor.

He says both groups are growing but doesn't expect one to overtake the other. "The two will co-exist," says Delage.

Evolving technology could make the DJ even more accessible in the near future, says Darren Baptiste, a computer technician who's helped several DJs in Toronto convert to portable setups.

What's the purpose of mingling with the crowd for a DJ?

I thought mixing live was a skill that we got to appreciate and enjoy! Why not just pre-mix, record an MP3 and turn it on in a club then? Clubs won't need DJs at all then!

AGREE :spin:

wow, this is retarded. Why don't they take it back to the jukebox days then?

They won't need to spend all that money hiring talent at all.

It's like going to see U2 and hoping they sit next to you with a remote control and playing pre-recorded sets of themselves.

I say fuck the :compsux: laptops and bring vinyl back. :)

DC

I can understand slightly the point that NMN is making by saying its a way for the dj to get more personal with the crowd

or at least a small portion of it, however

wouldnt it be more accepting to the crowd as a whole to have a partner in the club with the dj...and have that person every few moments inviting people to the booth?

everyone including my grandma has seen the rail on a BAR, but to enter the booth for some peope is like a granted pass to forbidden territory

AntiFM

The FM Band has reached its end

AntiFMRadio.com

wow, this is retarded. Why don't they take it back to the jukebox days then? They won't need to spend all that money hiring talent at all. It's like going to see U2 and hoping they sit next to you with a remote control and playing pre-recorded sets of themselves.

I say fuck the :compsux: laptops and bring vinyl back. :) DC

LOL!!! I'm with you on this one!

post-5-1122613420.jpg