Clubplanet Nightlife Community

The 3 biggest clubs in the HISTORY of house music as they stand today

In NEW YORK CITY : 84 KING STREET

THE PARADISE GARAGE

paradiseg.jpg

Home of LARRY LEVAN and thousands of fans some of who became legendary djs/prodcuers themselves. Who partied there every fri and sat for 10 yrs from 1977 to 1987. Everything in this club was built specifically for the dancers and one LARRY LEVAN. Everyone person who partied at the garage from a music fan to a dj, all agree nothing will ever sound better than the garage and none of the clubs today could compare. Now its a warehouse for verizon trucks, SO SAD.

CHICAGO :216 SOUTH JEFFERSON STREET

WAREHOUSE

warehouse.jpg

FRANKIE KNUCKLES ruled over this spot for 5 yrs from 1977 to 1982, this club gave birth to the name HOUSE MUSIC long b4 the first house song was made in 1983/84. People kept asking for records that were played at the HOUSE when shopping for records. So stores would make a section for HOUSE MUSIC. After this closed Frankie opened up another spot called THE POWER PLANT where he ruled for another 4 yrs from 1982-1986. Now its just a LAW OFFICE.

CHICAGO :326 NORTH MICHIGAN AVENUE

MUSIC BOX

muzikbox1.jpg

The place where RON HARDY would play for 72hrs straight and often at that. From 1983 till 1987 this place was filled with nonstop energy and intensity because of the music RON would throw at the crowd. Between this and the WAREHOUSE the people who came from these clubs MADE house music. I dont know whats there today at this moment for sure.

This is slightly depressing. I understand these places shaped our underground culture and paved a direction for us all...but, most of us were practically still in diapers when these places closed.

:half:

Why not go on about what happened after the fact? What these guys did that influenced us? Not that I want everyone and their mother to go on bitching about Twilo now, but instead of pointing out the end point out the INFLUENCE.

I don't really see what's depressing. Those places were not about architecture but music and party; and their legacy in this is a total victory. What the building is now has nothing to do with anything. Hey! I'm almost happy they haven't become anything related to a dance club.

I did pass by the garage last time and it was a little sad, but we have to keep sense in our heads.

After watching Maestro, that really taught me a whole side that I never knew...awesome documentary....I searched around and came across this website maybe you guys know about it already but it has Larry Levan sets from (82-91) Paradise Garage even the old Sound Factory and alot of oldschool DJs from back then...

http://www.deephousepage.com/

Search the DHP Mix Archive: Larry Levan

After watching Maestro, that really taught me a whole side that I never knew...awesome documentary....I searched around and came across this website maybe you guys know about it already but it has Larry Levan sets from (82-91) Paradise Garage even the old Sound Factory and alot of oldschool DJs from back then...

http://www.deephousepage.com/

Search the DHP Mix Archive: Larry Levan

yes, that site is like a miracle in itself.

Let's look at this globally....I know most Americans don't want to admit that anything outside of the good ole USA is worth a wank but the true, number 1 biggest club in the history of house music was THE HACIENDA in MANCHESTER, ENGLAND. Enuff said!

now the only thing i can tell you about that club is back int he 80s waht music do you think they were playing? If you dont know then might i suggest you check out PUMP UP THE VOLUME 1,2,3 do a search on this site as i haave put them on here many times.

Let's look at this globally....I know most Americans don't want to admit that anything outside of the good ole USA is worth a wank but the true, number 1 biggest club in the history of house music was THE HACIENDA in MANCHESTER, ENGLAND. Enuff said!

no its not most americans. just new yorkers. they actaully think nyc is the center of the universe lol.

Do people really think that NYC was THAT influential in the dance music scene?????

besides freestyle, disco, and pots and pans, ny really hasn't contributed as much to dance music as it has in other areas such as ART, FILM, Fashion, etc.

Do people really think that NYC was THAT influential in the dance music scene?????

besides freestyle, disco, and pots and pans, ny really hasn't contributed as much to dance music as it has in other areas such as ART, FILM, Fashion, etc.

NY has been very influential..

can you really say " _____________ has been the most influential city to dance music"

its all a collaborative effort..

but to say NY wasnt influential is pretty ignorant