Clubplanet Nightlife Community

:(

lalate

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to swing down to New Orleans when i fly to Louisana for the LSU/Tennessee game.. but we aren't doing that now obviously.

I feel for the people there.... i lost power for only two days during the Cat 1 hurricane... imagine cat 4/cat 5 will equate to weeks of people not having power, etc.... homes ruined, lives lost... this is terrible :(:no:

Looters Take Advantage Of Devastation

In two of the cities hardest hit by Hurricane Katrina, looters are running rampant.

An AP reporter along the beach in Biloxi, Miss., said it "looks like a free-for-all," as looters came running out of souvenir shops, loaded down with merchandise. He saw two men riding go-carts taken from an amusement park near the beach.

Two men were pushing a large plastic garbage can with wheels, so full that it took both of them to drag it down the street.

The owner of the Super Eight motel in Biloxi said, "People are just casually walking in and filling up garbage bags and walking off like they're Santa Claus."

There's a similar scene in downtown New Orleans, where looters are floating garbage cans filled with clothing and jewelry down the street.

Some of the looting has been taking place in full view of police and National Guard troops. One man with an armload of clothes even asked a police officer if he could borrow his car.

At a Walgreen's drug store in the French Quarter Tuesday morning, people were running out with grocery baskets and coolers full of soft drinks, chips and diapers. When police finally showed up, a young boy stood at the door and shouted a warning, and the crowd scattered.

A tourist from Philadelphia compared the scene to "downtown Baghdad." She said the scene was insane as she stood and snapped pictures in amazement.

"I've wanted to come here for 10 years. I thought this was a sophisticated city. I guess not," Denise Bollinger said.

Another person described it as a chance for "oppressed" people to "get back at society."

One man walked down Canal Street with a pallet of food on his head. His wife insisted they weren't stealing from the nearby supermarket. She said she had eight grandchildren to feed.

"It's about survival right now," she said.

Nearby, looters ripped open the steel gates on the fronts of stores on Canal Street. They filled industrial-sized garbage cans with clothing and jewelry and floated them down the street on bits of plywood and insulation

I watched 9-11 constantly uninterrupted on TV.

THISSSS I cant watch anymore. People who cant find their wives. People crying, holding on for dear life. I cant watch it. .... and to THINK that people are looting that Wallgreens? IVEEEE been in that store (down the street from the famous Bread/Desert place) - to think someone is looting THAT store means the antique shops near by with pieces worth each easily over $10K are being pillaged :( So of the great antiques of the south originate or are housed in New Orleans. This is a tragedy.

I watched 9-11 constantly uninterrupted on TV.

THISSSS I cant watch anymore. People who cant find their wives. People crying, holding on for dear life. I cant watch it. .... and to THINK that people are looting that Wallgreens? IVEEEE been in that store (down the street from the famous Bread/Desert place) - to think someone is looting THAT store means the antique shops near by with pieces worth each easily over $10K are being pillaged :( So of the great antiques of the south originate or are housed in New Orleans. This is a tragedy.

Where are they going with the stuff they're stealing? :confused: