Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Carl COX / CALDERONE reviews?!?

I really cant type too much cause i'm still hurting from dancing so much bugging out i can barely keep my eyes open.. but what did you guys think of the night? i thought it was Great FanFuckingTastic was my first time seeing Carl cox and he def had me dancing for a while but then towards the end of his set i was kindda bored but thats just me,, after Victor came on about 5:40

6 am it was Wonderful afte rthat. the place was still fucking Packed by 10:30 when me and my girl left i cant even think straight right now from all them beats in my head. Great night over all two SICKKKK DJ'S IN ONE NIGHT well worth my 30 bucks... Good seeing everyone and their mother's literally lol Drew,Mike,Will,brian,Digitalextacy,alan, and everyone else that wa sthere from beggining to almost the end good see ya'll lets do it again next month.

1LOVE.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok.. were do i begin... i also can barely move from all the dancing..got there real early.. loco dice was pretty good had me moving.. then cox came on.. this was my first time seeing him live... this guy is insane.. the way he talks to the crowd and gets you moving for hours..i loved every minute of his set but yes i agree he slowed down a bit at the end.. but i liked the way he ended his set though..then mr. victor came on.. all i can say is his party is going to be a good one for awhile... next time i will just go for him for afterhours... crazy beats one after another.. i love the energy he brings.. then by 900am it was time to leave..

my one huge complaint is crobar needs to have better crowd control.. there was not one circle the whole night just a sea of ppl standing and trying to move.. luckly my girl and i were able to get into vip.. were we could dance... overall one of my best nights in a long time!!!

cox absolutely killed it last night...got there around 10:30 when it opened...opening dj was really good (was that loco dice?)...when cox came on around 12, the place was jumping...it was never too crowded throughout the night, there was always room to dance and i thought the crowd was very good for a change....p diddy made his cameo somewhere in the middle of the night, getting on stage w/cox....i'm glad he didnt try to get on the mike...cox was workin it w/his nasty blend of hard techno and tribal..my ears are still ringing cause i was dumb and spent the night in front of a speaker, lol...highlight of my night was hearing "are you a freak" - only other time i've heard that is from deep dish in ibiza....that had crobar going bananas....i'm still in awe at what cox did to crobar last night..proving once again why he's one of the best goddamn dj's in the world, bar none. i left around 6, when it started turning into Evolve...my body could take no more...good seeing alan and digitalextacy....Cox needs to get a residency here!!!! i give last night a 10/10

got there 12:15.. waited til 1245 moved a total of about 20 feet and decided we werent getting in before 1 and our comps werent gonna be good.. so we went to quo across the street which surpisingly was not as bad as i expected.. wouldve liked to see cox though.. next time.. the line just wasnt worth it..

sik ass night i thought cox was insane, he let up every once in awhile but brought it right back in. Victor was no joke working alot of fimilar tribal beats. Over all the party was nutzzzz. the one thing that sucked was it was wayyyy to packed in there.Totally worth 30 bucks though.

Cox doesnt compare with what he use to Rock with, now it just seems like he's holding back . . . for anyone who was at the night that he was at Centro Fly knows what he can bring to the table, but the last couple of times i've seen him i been disapointed.

As for Calderone its my 2nd time seeing him at crobar, the first night was the opening party of " Evolve " and i just dont see him topping that set even with Cox opening up for him, and i was right.

quick corrections before my full review: 1) cox came on at 2 am not 12:.

2) Ive been hearing cox every nyc set since 1998-99 and its true he used to play more disco & funky house, i miss it. but on the other hand, his last 3 nyc sets he decided to kill us with hard tech all night. its brutal but the man delivers. agreed the 6-8 hour sets at twilo were better. the seaport rave set was better, but in the style coxy chooses to play, the pure hard tech, the man is superb, there is really no way to fault last nights set given what he chose to play.

3) on the other hand coxy doesnt have the 4-6-8 focus he used to. things have changed- his health? the first 2 hours last night were brilliant. the 4-6 am hours were more spotty, it was chaotic in the crowd. still i look forward to coxys next nyc set...early 2006??

and what about coxy vs DT part two...? !!!

carl cox at crobar. loco dice. victor c. : my night

crobar big line, 100-200 people. guard let me right in, saves 1+ hour wait. reed room john ok pop dj. 50 club. cheryl 2 b real. emotions best of love. luda. stand up!! fun atmosphere.

loco dice playing flat progg tribal. really boring set til 145.

tremendous anticipation when coxy appears. loco dices only good song a tech-progg number into cox.

coxy played 2-6 am. it was incredibly crowded. most aggressive crowd ive seen ever at crobar. the hard techno really got people fired up. security does have everything in order, tho i did see several guys tossed as night wore on. much cuter than usual babes at crobar. lots of blondes there for cox or vic? also slightly more mature & diverse crowd. talked to romanian girl about emina. hot star blonde dancing all night. hot 718 brunette at end. 2-4 was majorly great cox. full on techno set but never dull. yes the house 4/4 is always buried underneath coxy's sound but i wld say this was a tech set with some progg & some house. by contrast last 2 nyc sets, avalon 04 & crobar st pats 05, had more poppy & housey bits, this was full on hard techno all night with maybe 2 or 3 vocal lines/samples/melodies max. there were some records circa 3-4 am that were just spectacular, like tribal techno with progg bassline, timo-like sound but way better. ..hard to describe but just out & out monsters. I had to stay by vip staircase/backdoor all set cos it was too crowded. but at least I had some room to move & often the coolest peeps hang by this backdoor ive found. about 4:30 p diddy bumrushes in with about 6 bodyguards. i see his fur coat quickly. i heard he danced a bit on stage but did not see it,. did not care to either. well morillo & coxy, diddy may not know house but he knows the top djs! i was expecting the climax from 4-5 but actually thats when he played the more minimal or hardest 4/4 tech with fewer progg basslines. still it was the piledrive section, and it was not bad. at 5 after playing 3 hours he starts wrap up chat. actually coxy has become more gabby on the mike the last few years. if cox & dt want to talk they earned it! DT has more messages usually. coxy is more of a cheerleader 'youre looking very good tonight crobar' but hey its sweet & it does increase the vibe. so after 4-5 am beatdown hardest tech the room got a bit more disorganized, vic's people coming in, some cox fans leaving. or relaxing as I was after 3 hours of brutal tech. but actually 5-6 had a few records that i had been waiting for during 4-5. thats when coxy brought out the hardest progg-tech-tribal stompers,. some great tunes 5-6 am as the club shifted into more vic mode.

some very nice people in my area, glow stick mania,, free water etc. overall this oct 05 crobar set was better than coxys avalon & st pats crobar sets. the techno & progg house was on point for 4 hours straight. the first two hours were just superb, and coxy did not let up 1 minute for 4 hours. wish id stayed energetic for major 5-6 am hour but had been there for 6+ hours already & got beat down by the tech for 3 hours. still some great tunes from 5-6 but hard to move espec near the big starcase area, so many guidos crowding, but then again the sound & energy was best between stage & big stairs too.

chilled out from 6 - 6:45 in tunnel area. vic played a huge progg bass tribal number like 6:20 that was awesome. after that he settled into his banging tribal which i find slightly monotonous but in his own way vic maintains the energy level for hours as cox does with the tech, its impressive. cool watching people by the tunnel. lots of 718 / nj types but also some cute 212/718 gals. slightly better looking crobar crowd overall & some people were really friendly but some guidos were just diabolical, grabbing girls & all juiced up, shirts ready to come off. yuck.

still great coxy techno set, sometimes I like his house or disco more but he was on point & banged it home for 4 solid tech loving hours saturday night til 6 am. rating ****+ out of 5 stars.

after seeing him in Chicago last week i decided to go see him again, just because i like his music so much, and the guy was brilliant

he was really into the set, yelling on the mic as he always does, dancing and having a blast, and the music could not have been better

but when i left, around 5:30 am, i decided that i will not go back to that club again

first thing that i didn't understand was why did the people that got advanced tickets have to wait on the same stupid ass line as everyone else?

after waiting on line for 45 min, because crobar has to let in 9000 VIPs in before everyone else, i did get into this dance club, where finding a room to stand, let alone dance was impossible

and maybe it's just me getting old, or the fact that i was not doing k, e, cocaine, or steroids, but being pushed around for 4 hours is not my idea of fun

one more thing, what ever happened to the smoking ban in nyc?

in conclusion, long live carl cox!

night was amazing but did anyone experience the drama outside?..i got out of work at 3 went over to crobar and it was completely closed off by the cops for overcrowding. absolutely no one was getting into the door, the cop even made a point of shouting in the megafone "NONE OF YOU KNOW ANYONE HIGHER THAN ME" they told everyone to go home. and still hundreds of people stayed outside (mostly regulars and afterhours people) they didn't let us in until 5 ,,, it was worth it to wait, victor had us all dancing all morning long.

after seeing him in Chicago last week i decided to go see him again, just because i like his music so much, and the guy was brilliant

he was really into the set, yelling on the mic as he always does, dancing and having a blast, and the music could not have been better

but when i left, around 5:30 am, i decided that i will not go back to that club again

first thing that i didn't understand was why did the people that got advanced tickets have to wait on the same stupid ass line as everyone else?

after waiting on line for 45 min, because crobar has to let in 9000 VIPs in before everyone else, i did get into this dance club, where finding a room to stand, let alone dance was impossible

and maybe it's just me getting old, or the fact that i was not doing k, e, cocaine, or steroids, but being pushed around for 4 hours is not my idea of fun

one more thing, what ever happened to the smoking ban in nyc?

in conclusion, long live carl cox!

That's one of my biggest complaints with Crobar is they don't even try to control the smoking....I always leave there smelling like an ash tray!

Glad you all had fun. I really wanted to go since it was two of my friend's bdays and I had never heard Car Cox spin before.. but I think that is the last time I will ever attempt or rely on Crobar for anything. The line was out of hand and since I was on a guestlist til 1, I was in Oldtimer's boat and knew i wouldn't make it in, in time.... I think they need to redo the door policy and allow people that are on the guestlist to be on a different line, but whatver. We went to Sol and Sully and had fun, so the night wasn't lost. :)

Glad you all had fun. I really wanted to go since it was two of my friend's bdays and I had never heard Car Cox spin before.. but I think that is the last time I will ever attempt or rely on Crobar for anything. The line was out of hand and since I was on a guestlist til 1, I was in Oldtimer's boat and knew i wouldn't make it in, in time.... I think they need to redo the door policy and allow people that are on the guestlist to be on a different line, but whatver. We went to Sol and Sully and had fun, so the night wasn't lost. :)

or you could just get there earlier :idea:

we got there just b4 2am and walked right in...i think you guys need to know the right people

I agree with the person who siad that Cox was holding back, he wasnt as crazy as his days back at Twilo, it also could be that there is such a mixed crowd at Crobar that the vibe gets lost in the sea of bodies...u have to understand that its the first time seeing Cox for alot of people in that place and to them its like 'ehh'. For us, however, it was refreshing to hear something different at Crobar and Coxie did bring in alot of new faces which was great...had a blast up in VIP and the whole PDiddy thing, to us was big joke, got a good laugh out of it

Around 5, he got darker and dirtier, which is how we like it and the last hour was simply flawless...

...the Jersey afterhours crowd strolled in around 5, right b4 Calderone...it was my first time hearing his afterhours set, we were really impressed, but had to leave at 7:30 cause I was soo tired and had a christening at 2... it was a FUN night...havent had one in a long time.

what can they do??? send us outside for a smoke and then back in

Those were the best f'n days .. you could go out, smoke, slip away with the crowd, go down the block, drink some more VERY CHEAP and come back for the music .. Also, what i dont understand is this ... why not set up something by the back doors on the 27th st side. Set up a small area and have some bouncers out there regulating the smokers coming in and out?!

Sorry to hear you didnt get to enjoy carl. Truthfully, the door people are purposely buiilding up that line. They also are trying to go as slow as possible so that you dont get in to get that comp! Also that is some bullshit for people who get pre-paid tickets .. what the fuck is the point if i have to wait online too ...

and in closing i agree with everyone .. carl @ centro was just .... just ..... yeah ....

Saturday night was easily the best time I ever had at Crobar. Got in around 11:30 when Loco Dice was on. Personally, I didn't care much for his set. The first few hours were very flat. He did pick it up a bit the last half hour or so, but by then I just wanted Cox to get on. As Coxy made his way to the stage around 1:45 the place just exploded. Kinda cool to watch 3,000+ people just lose it simultaneously. Once Coxy took the decks around 2am he didn't waste any time getting into it. I've never seen anyone with this kind of presence behind the decks. He gets on the mic, drops the first track and all of a sudden the entire club is whipped into a frenzy. The first hour was typical Cox. A nice mix of Techno & Tech house. About an hour into the set he dropped this flithy breaks track which he used to transition into his peak time stuff. Overall, it was a nasty set and a great party. The place was packed. There wasn't an ounce of space in the entire club. Even the upstairs was rammed. The crowd wasn't the best but people were cool for the most part and seemed to be enjoying themselves. The soundsystem also sounded better than the last few times I've been there so I appreciated that as well. While this set wasn't as good as the Centro set, it's the best thing he's done in NY since...

After Cox got off I decided to stay and catch a little bit of Victor. I was never a big fan but I haven't seen him in a while. Victor was pretty good and better than I expected, but it's not my sound anymore. While he dropped a few banging tracks there were times when to me it just sounded like generic tribal house. After two hours of Vic, I called it a night...