Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Talks about No Afterhours

this is the problem... everytime someone came from another state to NYC to visit(and they have never been here) , they wanted to go to a NYC club, as NYC is famous for them...

there will always be after hours everywhere, but the fact that others growing up in the next generation cant experience what previous generations experienced because of a law that basically violates the first amendment.

Is this what NYC has be reduce to... underground after-hours? Like I said, its been years since I went out, but now as I get a little back into it, I find it shocking that so much has changed, and it makes me mad that my first amendment rights have been violated by a billionaire named bloomberg who just spent 66 million dollars of his own money to get re-elected. Thats a more serious crime, having billionaires as elected officials, and allowing them to use their wealth to be elected into office, while all of our rights are trampled on, and we are forced to go underground and hide. Sickening! This is NYC god damn it, not some mother fucking town in the midwest.[/QUOTe

could have not said it better. it's not right that we have to run and hide like rats in trash. what bloomie is doing is throwing the dogs a bone. there are a lot more things to worry about in the city then super clubs but the politicians are mad @ the fact that how much money theses clubs make, and it makes them look good when they shut a club down. u see the articles in the paper calling clubs like Exit and SF drug dens, and articles about people almost dying from drugs. they dont understand we as people make our own decisions about where we go and what we do. Politicans should worry more about our public school system, and our horrible subway conditions than our super clubs

I haven't been to a big club in like 4 years... but look around, hardly any Dj can even hold a residency in a club anymore due all the problems.

Junior Vasquez hardly plays in NYC anymore, jonathan peters is here and there... even hex hector stopped remixing music, and relocated to miami...to DJ.

what u sayin...

those 3 dj's not playing here is not what i think anyone in their right mind would constitute as NYC being DEAD! this city's night life is stronger than ever IMO..whether it's big clubs, smaller venues.. there's an AMAZING amount of new and old talent that continues to grace our venues with awesome, new and exhilirating surprises..

there's countless events all over the city every night.. even if certain dj's don't have residency.. there's still fucking awesome stuff going on.. great vibes, great ppl, great records.. there's like 20 gazillion clubs on 27th st now instead of 2 that were there in the 90's..what about the lower and west side lounges that have everyone from francois k to dj heather to blah blah blah .. i can't get into it at the moment and...

you said you havent been out in 4 years how can you make such a biased statement??

those 3 dj's not playing here is not what i think anyone in their right mind would constitute as NYC being DEAD! this city's night life is stronger than ever IMO..whether it's big clubs, smaller venues.. there's an AMAZING amount of new and old talent that continues to grace our venues with awesome, new and exhilirating surprises..

there's countless events all over the city every night.. even if certain dj's don't have residency.. there's still fucking awesome stuff going on.. great vibes, great ppl, great records.. there's like 20 gazillion clubs on 27th st now instead of 2 that were there in the 90's..what about the lower and west side lounges that have everyone from francois k to dj heather to blah blah blah .. i can't get into it at the moment and...

you said you havent been out in 4 years how can you make such a biased statement??

There will always be stuff going on, this is NYC. But still, there are certain memorable expirences that I will never forget from REAL NYC clubs, like SF, Twilo, Tunnel, that you can never get from a lounge or a gazillion other places in the meatpacking district or where ever...

NYC was world famous for Studio 54, the funhouse, and all the old school clubs where people could break dance, and do all kinds of crazy stuff...

there was an article in Life magazine (I think) a while back on Twilo and how it was considered one of the best clubs in the world...

it went on about a deaf dancer who use to come to Twilo, and although he couldn't hear the music , he dances to the vibes and rhythms and vibrations of the Phazon Sound system. You cant get this in these lounges.

A big experience of NYC is gone, and what ever is left is dying. Sad that if my sister and her friends came to NYC to visit, I could not take them to hear junior vasquez open up a set in a huge club, with sick lights, a wicked sound system, and a crazy NYC club...instead, lets go here, we might see Paris Hilton... fuckin wow.

Seriously, I had fun at lounges, its nice, but its NOT THE SAME. sometimes you want something more then just a lounge. You want the lights, the sound, a world famous DJ who's been reppin NYC clubs since before half this board was born, who just remixed some old classic he sample from his one of his 300,000 record collection that will be played for one night and thats it. You cant get this even if you hit up every lounge and club today in NYC. You just cant. And the kids growing up today are missing out BIGTIME.

This scene was created on the underground after hrs away from what was legal. Maybe its time to get back to the raw beginings again.

wrong, it was created in big clubs. And DJ Larry Lavan spawned all these big named DJ's from hip hop to house, every big DJ who DJ's now, from Danny Teneglia, to Jonathan Peters, and even Junior vasquez himself ... they ALL claim Larry was the greatest DJ who ever lived, even hip hop Dj's...

http://www.undergroundmadness.org/music/evild.html

What was the best compliment you ever got?

Evil D----One of the biggest compliments I ever got was….

When a guy at a party came up to me and asked if I knew who Larry LaVan- he was a famous disco dj. People used to worship this guy. I told him yes, and he said that I reminded him of Larry. Also, when I look out into the crowd and people are smiling at me, I think that's dope.

http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature_view.asp?ID=286

Hector Romero - A cornerstone of New York Nightlife

New York City is known and recognized around the world for a paramount list of possessions – The Statue of Liberty, Madison Square Garden, Central Park, Saks 5th Avenue, and the most recent liberty lost of smoking in bars or clubs. On the other hand, some may squabble that New York’s largest asset is it inexhaustible, never-ending, party until the sun comes up, nightlife, which is (dubiously) second to none

Hold a tête-à-tête with a jaded clubber long enough, and you will witness a surfeit of club venues and DJ names spew out – Larry Lavan, Junior Vasquez, Sasha & Digweed, Hector Romero, Club Exit, Studio 54, Twilo, Webster Hall, Filter 14, Roxy, and the Palladium to name a few. Without those spots and performers, New York’s nightlife would not exist.

those 3 dj's not playing here is not what i think anyone in their right mind would constitute as NYC being DEAD!

so I guess he's not in his right mind either...

Umm that's what closed down Twilo; When bloomberg gets elected again he will end all afterhours at major clubs on the west side.

I wonder why clubs do not open in a less problematic area of nyc (way east). I mean Chelsea was not a residencial district 15 years ago and that's also a reason why those big clubs had an easier time there.

Why not do the same today, move clubs to a non-residencial/non-million-dollar-apartment area of nyc (l.e.s. whatever) where the cops don't really care if the neighboors have issues?

It's true that today there is nothing that compares to Twilo (or Tunnel or Palladium or ....). I am afraid this type of club is close to dead. However there's a lot of smaller hip (non-house) parties (and no I'm not talking about the lounge/model scene) going on with a lot of fun young inventive kids having the time of their life.

wrong, it was created in big clubs. And DJ Larry Lavan spawned all these big named DJ's from hip hop to house, every big DJ who DJ's now, from Danny Teneglia, to Jonathan Peters, and even Junior vasquez himself ... they ALL claim Larry was the greatest DJ who ever lived, even hip hop Dj's...

When a guy at a party came up to me and asked if I knew who Larry LaVan- he was a famous disco dj. People used to worship this guy. I told him yes, and he said that I reminded him of Larry. Also, when I look out into the crowd and people are smiling at me, I think that's dope.

New York City is known and recognized around the world for a paramount list of possessions – The Statue of Liberty, Madison Square Garden, Central Park, Saks 5th Avenue, and the most recent liberty lost of smoking in bars or clubs. On the other hand, some may squabble that New York’s largest asset is it inexhaustible, never-ending, party until the sun comes up, nightlife, which is (dubiously) second to none

Hold a tête-à-tête with a jaded clubber long enough, and you will witness a surfeit of club venues and DJ names spew out – Larry Lavan, Junior Vasquez, Sasha & Digweed, Hector Romero, Club Exit, Studio 54, Twilo, Webster Hall, Filter 14, Roxy, and the Palladium to name a few. Without those spots and performers, New York’s nightlife would not exist.

I know your not getting into a history lesson with me now. Do a search on here about larry levan and the paradise garage and you will see everything ive put up. And just so you know real quick your history, PARADISE GARAGE was owned by micheal brody who opened READE STREET with larry b4 the garage and discovered larry after hearing larry play at the continental baths

where him and frankie knuckles were playing music and djing which they learned from THE GALLERY with NICKY SIANO who taught them how to play music. And nickys gallery was insipired by the mother of everthing that is nightlife and after hrs over at DAVID MANCUOSO THE LOFT in 1968 when the loft had its first party. And a few weeks ago the loft celebrated 35yrs of parties. With people from all over the world coming to it.

There will always be stuff going on, this is NYC. But still, there are certain memorable expirences that I will never forget from REAL NYC clubs, like SF, Twilo, Tunnel, that you can never get from a lounge or a gazillion other places in the meatpacking district or where ever...

NYC was world famous for Studio 54, the funhouse, and all the old school clubs where people could break dance, and do all kinds of crazy stuff...

there was an article in Life magazine (I think) a while back on Twilo and how it was considered one of the best clubs in the world...

it went on about a deaf dancer who use to come to Twilo, and although he couldn't hear the music , he dances to the vibes and rhythms and vibrations of the Phazon Sound system. You cant get this in these lounges.

A big experience of NYC is gone, and what ever is left is dying. Sad that if my sister and her friends came to NYC to visit, I could not take them to hear junior vasquez open up a set in a huge club, with sick lights, a wicked sound system, and a crazy NYC club...instead, lets go here, we might see Paris Hilton... fuckin wow.

Seriously, I had fun at lounges, its nice, but its NOT THE SAME. sometimes you want something more then just a lounge. You want the lights, the sound, a world famous DJ who's been reppin NYC clubs since before half this board was born, who just remixed some old classic he sample from his one of his 300,000 record collection that will be played for one night and thats it. You cant get this even if you hit up every lounge and club today in NYC. You just cant. And the kids growing up today are missing out BIGTIME.

did u just list webster hall? and exit?

your what 20?

you werent even alive when half those club's u listed were around...

And not Every room in NY was a huge room..

read another book kid

3 dj's not playing here is not what i think anyone in their right mind would constitute as NYC being DEAD! this city's night life is stronger than ever IMO..

Agreed. Jaded fools need to zip their lips and stop getting their panties in a bunch over every sensationalist piece of journalism they read. I think the Bloomberg administration has bigger fish to fry at the moment.

did u just list webster hall? and exit?

your what 20?

you werent even alive when half those club's u listed were around...

And not Every room in NY was a huge room..

read another book kid

I wish I 20 again, it was more fun going out with my fake ID.

But seriously, since when did roxy start shutting off the music at 6AM? Why cant a club like the roxy stay open later? The city that never sleeps, well, that was then, this is now....

thats all good, but why cant the roxy stay open past 6?

E-mail from the John Blair crew that produced the event for Junior Vasquez.

We have received countless e-mails about Roxy closing it's doors at 4am this past Saturday, October 29. We are as upset as many of your were.

Roxy was closed down by the police dept. on FRIDAY, Oct. 28th at 10pm.

As it happened with Park and Lotus, the Police dept. had been sending undercover underage people to buy drinks. Most of the time they did not succeed but a few times they did.

The "Nuisance and Abatement" law gives them jurisdiction that enables them to close you down at any moment if you have 2 or more of these violations.

Roxy was able to get a Supreme Court Judge on Saturday, October 29th to counter that action by the police and allow us to open Saturday night, a miracle in itself. We did not know until late afternoon that we would even be open for the night.

We were told that we could not allow anyone under 21, or anyone without a valid government issued ID to enter the club, and that door would have to be closed at 4am. Shortly after, we sent you all an e-mail stating that we were open and that it was 21 and older.

Much later into the night, we were told that "door closed" meant lights on and EVERYBODY out of the building. Unfortunately it was way too late to do anything about it.

This whole situation forced us to let 2000 people out the door at the same time, which we considered unsafe and totally illogical. Coat check was overloaded with patrons trying to get their coats at the same time and, by having everybody leave the building at the same time, we caused unnecessary noise and inconvenience to our neighbors and patrons.

We are told that The Police Department wants all clubs in the area to be 21 and over and to be closed at 4am.

We look forward to meeting this week with the police and our attorneys and hopefully find a common ground that will be good for all.

Again, we're terribly sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

We have received a lot of emails asking why this happened, so there it is.

We moved Heaven and Earth to get open and have a great party.

It was indeed a great party! Unfortunately, not everything turned out the way we planned.

We will keep you informed as to how things progress.

Your support is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

John Blair.

E-mail from the John Blair crew that produced the event for Junior Vasquez.

As it happened with Park and Lotus, the Police dept. had been sending undercover underage people to buy drinks. Most of the time they did not succeed but a few times they did.

The "Nuisance and Abatement" law gives them jurisdiction that enables them to close you down at any moment if you have 2 or more of these violations.

there is a strip of bars here on long island by hofstra university where underage students around 18 can get in with their college ID and drink. Nobody says nothing to these bars and they have been doing this for years.

so whats the big deal? Why is roxy being targeted?

Answer, its the last big club in NY thats been around the longest, and soon, I believe bloomberg will shut its doors. Then after that, we will have 1001 after spots to go to.. yeah after hours will still be around, but not like it was back in the day with SF, tunnel, Twilo....

NYC is starting to remind me alot of california... no smoking in clubs, 1001 after hour spots... whats next

think about it, people could not get in to the mother fuckin roxy to hear PVD, even though they bought tickets ahead of time.... how things have changed....